Kaplan Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.8

Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan (Mission, KS) in April 2008.

Interview

The "Center Manager" is the person who will do your interview. He was the person who called me about a week or so before. I think the standards are low because the pay is low, but they still have to have someone there who will be there alone, so the person has to be at least reliable. He ask me simple questions, and asked me a few things about my resume.

Interview Questions

• Do you have Customer Service experience?   1 Answer
    • How did your past experiences help your customer service?   1 Answer

Negotiation

He told me everyone who takes this position starts at $7.00USD/ hour, and told me I would never get a raise. This turned out to be wrong as the "Center Director" gave me a $1 raise after six months.

Kaplan Student Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan in October 2007.

Interview

the center director interviewed me one on one. i have to submit a resume and sign several forms (typical agree to background check, non-compete, etc.). i got a call a couple days later saying she was interested in hiring me, when could i start. etc, etc.

Interview Questions

• what is a weakness of yours   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

MCAT Teacher Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan (Arlington, VA) in August 2007.

Interview

Short group presentation and was immediately offered to start training as a teacher.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Kaplan in July 2007.

Interview

The most unique part of the Kaplan interview (at least at the center level) was the fact that all positions require the candidate to give a short 5-minute presentation on the topic of their choice. The experience was very positive and in addition to being a way to show off presentation and sales skills, it allowed future coworkers to see what I was interested in and what my background was.

Overall, my interview at a Kaplan center was very relaxed and welcoming. The first day I met with the Center Director, Manager, and several coordinator-level individuals. The hiring process was very much focused on making sure that I was commited to education, had experience and an interest in giving high customer service regardless of my eventual role, and that I would fit into the culture of the office.

Interview Questions

• Do you want a piece of gum?   1 Answer

SAT Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in January 2007.

Interview

Although the hiring process required some skills tests and a presentation, it was was very laid back. I had to submit SAT test scores to the office. Also, before the interview I was asked to prepare a short 5-10 minute lesson. I had to conduct the short lesson in front of the hiring manager, she asked me a few questions about my teaching experience and that was about it. Overall it seems like they just want to see if you can handle the patience and responsibility necessary to teach high school students.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall any tough or abstract questions. The hiring manager just wanted to get a feel for my skills and aspirations. Expect questions like, Why do you want to work in the field of education?   Answer Question

LSAT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in January 2014.

Interview

Steps:
    1- Sent application.
    2- Was contacted within a few days for an audition, which was pretty easy since you can prepare.
    3- Prepared and submitted audition.
    4- Was contacted within a few days for interview. Nice interviewer, asked obvious questions.
    5- Did Skype interview.
    6- Was contacted within a few days for a technical evaluation.
    7- Mine is scheduled for next week.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. Asked about my training experience, how I would manage difficult students, whether I am independent and a problem-solver, why Kaplan and not another company...   Answer Question

LSAT Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

An initial audition. Was given the choice of 3 questions to teacher to a Kaplan employee and the other people auditioning. Then had a short interview via skype about why I wanted the position. Then there was a very intensive training process at which I taught lessons to other trainees and the trainer via webcam for several weeks. Evaluated each week and then told at the end that I had the job.

Interview Questions

• The training process was the most difficult. It took a lot of effort and they are very specific in what they want out of you. But it was also very helpful   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate since I had never taught before.

Student Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Kaplan.

Interview

Sent application on Kaplan careers website. Received email to set up a 1-1 interview in the following week. The interviewer first introduced Kaplan company, this particular center, and duties of the position. Then asked questions based on resume and previous working experience. No situational question was asked. The interview lasted 15 min. It's my first job interview in long time, I was a little bit nervous and didn't fully show my qualities.

Adjunct Online Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kaplan in July 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to interview several months later. She set up an phone interview within one day of receiving the email. I had to call in and provide a reference number when I was then contacted with the chair. She did most of the talking about the class and entry level students that attended there. She did not offer any information about salary or other requirements such as calling and contacting students. She did mention the synchronous component Kaplan requires once a week. Was offered the job at the end of the phone call.

Interview Questions

• Do I mind sharing personal experiences with the students?   Answer Question

I was not comfortable how they wanted the synchronous component completed.

Web Content Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kaplan in May 2012.

Interview

The process goes like this
    1) They call you and interview you about your skills and experiences
    2) After the phone call they tell you the hiring manager will also go look at your resume and will call you after a couple of hours of the first phone call
    3) If the manager likes what he or she sees then they will do a group group interview
    4) The manager emails you the time, place, and location to how to get there
    5) You will meet the manager and have a conversation with the manager
    6) You will be taken into a room and you take an assessment test
    7) The manager comes with the people under him and will do a group interview process including the human resource who first called you
    8) They will check your answers then they will go over with it for you to see what you got right or wrong.
    9) The interview process will then begin where they ask you questions by going over your resume. They will ask you about your education, experiences and skills
    10) After the group interview with the manager and the people under him/her you will have to interview the manager above that manager you just interview
    11) After 3 interviews you leave the company you say to yourself that was an intense interview and you hope you get the position
    12) Proceed to the waiting game

WORK CULTURE
    I would say it looks very laid back, but people there are working hard and are busy doing there own thing.

PEOPLE
    The people there are nice. I assume it's because the environment of the office is nice.

OFFICE
    The office looks very professional looking. Very clean and makes you want to do work type of office.