Kaplan Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 10, 2015

Kaplan Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY).

Interview

They hire from within first. They are big on referrals from employees. Interview style Casual / Basic. Group interview style. Each person asked a question. They you had to do a demonstration (teach something, convince them on something,etc. ) - you choose the topic.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non negotiable. It started at that rate and no wiggle room really.

ESL Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

They had me do a mock lesson as an interview. I thought it was pretty much a question of hiring me or not - I didn't realize that my hourly pay would also be set based on what they perceived my ability to be and never change after that. Anyway, if you apply here, bring all you have to impress them in the mock lesson: make it student-centered and communicative. And it is probably best to make it something for advanced students as Kaplan has a lot of more advanced students.

Negotiation

When I got the job offer I was surprised at the hourly rate they paid as it was significantly less than I would have expected. However I assumed that it would be the same for every new teacher. Later I realized that most of my coworkers make a couple bucks more than me per hour and getting any kind of raise is pretty much a joke. That is pretty frustrating. I wish I had thought of trying to negotiate at all.

Oracle Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Applied online, got a call from HR within a couple of days, generic questions such why do you want to make a move, what makes you a good employee etc, then setup a call with IT Manager. 2 rounds of technical interview with the same person. First was a telephonic interview, questions to understand how good the candidate is with Oracle ERP, second was a webconference kind of interview in which interviewer asked me to navigate Oracle screens and similar stuff. Than they spoke to the references i provided, setup a call with Director, very generic questions, it was more of a discussion. Sent offer letter within 2 days.

Negotiation

Not much, very minimal hike from the original offer.

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy. They called me first and took a brief interview over the phone. I was called for an in person interview. Two people from the level 2 support (I believe) took the interview. It went fairly well and they said they'd get back to me very soon. I heard back from them after two weeks saying that the role had not materialized yet.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

Interview consists of one teaching presentation and interview with academic manager. If you look confident in front of the audience, and are qualified to teach the exams through your own test scores, you have the job.

SAT Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kaplan (New York, NY) in January 2007.

Interview

Although the hiring process required some skills tests and a presentation, it was was very laid back. I had to submit SAT test scores to the office. Also, before the interview I was asked to prepare a short 5-10 minute lesson. I had to conduct the short lesson in front of the hiring manager, she asked me a few questions about my teaching experience and that was about it. Overall it seems like they just want to see if you can handle the patience and responsibility necessary to teach high school students.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall any tough or abstract questions. The hiring manager just wanted to get a feel for my skills and aspirations. Expect questions like, Why do you want to work in the field of education?   Answer Question