Kaplan Test Prep

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.7

Administrative Interview

took 2 weeks, after submitted resume online.. Questions regarding how you deal with difficult
    situations.. Overall all, easy questions. I talked to 5 interviewers, they all asked the same types
    of questions.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

I applied for an Operations Manager online via the Kaplan jobs portal. Two weeks later, I received an email from a company recruiter to schedule a phone interview. We needed to reschedule so set up another date and time. Recruiter did not call, I emailed them asking if I had the wrong date/time. Received a reply an hour later apologizing and setting up a new date and time for the phone screening.

Questions for the screening were typical questions asking about previous companies and roles. I followed up with a thank you email and followed up 2 weeks later. Nothing. 6 weeks after the telephone call I receive an email asking to schedule a telephone interview with the Hiring Manager. The recruiter didn't ask if I was still available, I mean I was, but 6 weeks!

Phone interview went well and scheduled an in-person meeting with the hiring manager right away. The in-person was great. Met with Hiring Managers boss as well, plus a company project manager. Hiring manager was in office with me when I sat down to speak to the PM. First thing PM mentioned was that she thought about applying for the job as well as she is always looking at the jobs portal to see what's available. The tone that she used was sort of "matter of fact, I am what you need." That was odd to me.

Interview Questions
    • The in person interview began with picking my brain on the best ways to deal with unsatisfied customers who want a refund. A lot of back and forth. Hiring manager said he liked my approach.   Answer Question

Campus Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

Had to go through 2 applications, a 1:1 interview and a online interview. It takes weeks to hire and a month to train - they look for a academic year commitment.

Interview Questions
    • You have to prep for a pitch via online. They will give a week or so to research Kaplan & you do you best sales pitch / interaction with the manager and/or regional director.   Answer Question

Student Services Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

The interview process was very laid back when I was hired. Over time, the interview process has evolved to include a mock-phone call test, in which the interviewee will need to navigate the site to answer questions from a "student". The student usually asks about the company's "Higher Score Guarantee" policy. Don't think on your feet, instead, take the time to retrieve the accurate information during this process.

The interview also involves shadowing other employees as they take phone calls, and meeting with team leads and managers. They're looking for skills centered around conflict resolution, attention to detail and good listening skills. A knack for documentation will also come in handy.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing extremely difficult or unexpected, but again, be sure to maintain a level-head throughout all aspects of the interview.   Answer Question

SAT Tutor Interview

Interview process was somewhat long -- first you have to record yourself teaching different SAT problems, then I had a skype interview with one person, and later I had a skype interview with another person. Overall it takes awhile to get set up as a tutor (about 1-2 months) but it is a great and rewarding job once you begin!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you went above and beyond for someone else.   Answer Question

SAT/GRE Tutor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep in October 2014.

An extremely long and tedious interview process. There are many people involved and there is an obvious disconnect in communication as many different people will give you contradictory instructions or information. The technical interview was extremely unprofessional (I had a lady from Kaplan who wasn't fully awake nor dressed properly pretend to be a student) and subjective. Based upon who does your technical interview, there will be an extreme diversity in your evaluation. Most of the interview process, especially the beginning stages, is conducted online via webcam. This fact adds to the frustration of their long interview process as interviewers typically have poor connection and it is difficult to hear/understand what is being spoken.
    Good luck! Unfortunately most of the interview will depend on who interviews you.

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to answer you would have class no matter what.   Answer Question

I had better offers elsewhere.

LSAT Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kaplan Test Prep in October 2014.

Applied online and received a fairly quick follow-up. I had to record an initial 2-minute audition in which I taught a single Logical Reasoning question. That was followed the next week by an interactive online interview with a Kaplan recruiter where I was asked to teach two questions -- one Logical Reasoning and one Reading Comprehension -- to a hypothetical class.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me an example of a time you received some negative feedback."   Answer Question

K12 Instructor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

The interview process is very formal and can be a bit time consuming, but as a result it is more organized than other hiring processes I have seen. After applying, the initial "interview" is really a short recording. You answer two or three questions in two minutes or less for each question and also speak on a preassigned topic in two different installments for a total of no more than four minutes. This is done on your own time, at home on your own computer. You will receive plenty of instructions on how to do your recording.

This seems to be just a filter to weed out anyone who is irremediably terrible. After someone reviews your tape you will be called by a recruiting agent. After that phone interview you will be emailed two lessons to choose from and you have to prepare one of them for a thirty minute skype interview.

Once you have gotten this far the process really speeds up. I finished my phone interview and got an email that day about my availability for a skype interview that same week. In reality you only have to teach about fifteen minutes of your lesson because after that the interviewer has a few standard interview questions to ask, and finally you can ask a few questions before your thirty minutes is up.

After all that is finished you have to have a background check (since you'll be working with students) and if you don't have finger prints on file with the DOE you will have go to their offices and do that. This was the only part that was really unpleasant as it was rather like going to the DMV, though not quite so long.

Although it felt like a lot, Kaplan seems to have their process perfected and they're a well-oiled machine so the process will go fairly fast.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are mostly about classroom management style, and difficult experiences you've had and how you overcame them.   Answer Question

DAT Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan Test Prep in September 2014.

First there is a webcam interview where you interview yourself teaching. Then, you move onto an interview in which you teach a few DAT questions that you get to practice ahead of time. This time you are actually speaking with someone from Kaplan hiring through Skype.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to motivate a student who does not want to learn?   Answer Question

Student Admissions Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan Test Prep.

Well you are drilled over and over again and no matter how much experience you have you still won't get a pay worth your worth. The interview was long and you would have thought I was interviewing for an executive director position.