Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions

Getting the Interview

72 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

ACT Instructor Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions in April 2014.

Interview Details – Proceeded more than halfway through hiring process: score qualified, audition, filled out online application, then Skype interview. Was told that I would hear from hiring manager in 2-5 days as to whether I would be granted a technical interview. I sent an email thanking the hiring agent for the opportunity to interview. It has been almost two weeks and have not received any communication whatsoever regarding my status. Very disappointed--even if rejected, I would prefer to be informed of decision instead of left hanging.

Interview Question – What made you choose Kaplan?   Answer Question

Premier Tutor Interview

Interview Details – Rigorous and thorough

Interview Question – My first role playing with "student"   Answer Question

SAT Tutor Interview

Interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions

Interview Details – The audition process was easy and quick. You get three retakes which helped me out a lot, because I was really nervous

Pre-College Instructor Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted through a college recruiting site. Went through 2 skype interviews and a technical test interview. Wasn't too bad as long as you know your stuff.

Interview Question – How would you engage students who do not want to speak?   View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions.

Interview Details – Wasn't a terribly difficult hiring process. 1 phone interview and 2-3 in person interviews.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Very Easy Interview

Campus Representative Interview

Campus Representative
Davis, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions.

Interview Details – Applied online and was asked for a phone interview followed by a skype interview which I thought was unnecessary. Just have to be friendly and out going and "well connected" on campus.

Interview Question – Nothing really too difficult, typical questions. Hires based on whether or not they like you.   Answer Question

GMAT Instructor Interview

GMAT Instructor

Interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions

Interview Details – An audition where you have to explain something--anything--to an audience for 15 minutes.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

LSAT Instructor Interview

LSAT Instructor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions.

Interview Details – I received an email requesting that I complete a short audition within a few days of submitting my application. The flexibility of the process is nice - you can do things on your own time. The audition and subsequent interviews are fairly time-intensive, though. I participated in a video chat interview and was invited to complete the next step but I chose not to continue with the process because the timing of training and when I would actually be working wasn't a good fit.

Interview Question – If you've never taught before be prepared to discuss (1) why you want to teach and (2) what abilities and skills you have that will make you a good teacher.   Answer Question

GMAT/GRE/SAT/ACT Etc Test Prep Interview

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions.

Interview Details – online application

Online teach a problem that shows up on the test you are applying to be an instructor for - be sure to involve the other person (or people) in that group interview. Ask questions that are EASY to answer, ask leading questions (Kaplan focuses on class involvement and building confidence by asking questions people can answer correctly - NEVER say they are wrong, instead you are supposed to re-ask in a different way making your question even more of a leading question)... This can be awkward as you are doing this via Adobe and you don't really have access to visual aids, anything you copy and paste into the chat box loses the formatting... my solution was to draw out blackboard stuff on a piece of paper (making it BIG print so it shows up) and then put that piece of paper in front of my face so it shows up via the camera. They do NOT give you that suggestion. Be sure you time yourself as they WILL cut you off if you go beyond the time limit. YOu are expected to teach by asking questions and that makes it harder to control how long it takes to teach something if the people answering are wrong, go on and on...

Then you have a pile of online videos to watch online, questions to answer.

Then you have another online interview where you are asked to prepare 4 questions and teach what they tell you to teach. My interviewer was very adversarial and nasty. Think worst case obnoxious student.

You are asked questions like how will you deal with a student behaviors in class including things like a students who is disinterested, not paying attention in class and then complaining about the class - realize this is all about happy customers so you CAN NOT criticize the student's behavior - instead put a positive spin on it, how you'd draw them back in, etc. Nothing is ever the student's fault - it is your problem to make them happy. Other questions are about things like how to help a student who just doesn't get it when the rest of the class does get it (as they are anal about following the class guide for how much time you spend on each class component you need to include offering time outside of class to help them, try to sell - don't use the word sell - them tutoring outside of class, you will get criticized if you spend too much time in class on one student's problems because you have to stick to the class guide you are given with specifies how much time to spend on each thing).

You also get stupid questions about if you won the lottery what would you do with the money - they have right answers in mind. I stated that I would get a lot of pleasure giving money away to good causes and that apparently was not the right answer based on how the interviewer responded. I'd suspect a right answer would be starting a business, showing you are a go getter...

Pay is somewhat negotiable - their range is $20-45/hr. Be aware that much of what you do is at close to minimum wage. You only get paid these wages when you actually teach class. They do pay you to prepare for class (they have guidelines), during the training process which is part of the protracted, drawn out interview process (but again close to minimum wage).

Interview Question – see hiring and interview process. The answer is embedded in there.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The expectation to travel several hours to teach classes, the level of disorganization of both the process during the interview and management (they changed the interview process midstream on me which wasted my time, had several sets of people in charge of the process and no indication that this chaos wasn't normal operating procedure), difficult to figure out who answered which kinds of questions along with failure of people to respond to e-mails answering things that you need answered, high expectation to upsell students more services, cookie cutter, rigid approach to teaching the classes, reluctance to disclose that most of what you do is $8/hour rather than the rate they offer you to teach the classes... What they tell you before you start the process is very misleading, and in my opinion trying to hook you this way is unethical.

Promotion is entirely from within and so there is a career path, this also means the place is run by people who score well on standardized tests and so one would assume they had the smarts to be decent managers... unfortunately in the string of people I dealt with only one person was what I would call a good manager. The rest had, shall we politely say, "issues.

In the end it didn't seem to be worth the aggravation. If you are a student then minimum wage for much of what you do and good pay for several hours a week could well be worth it. As a working professional the hassle factor for pennies wasn't worth it.

Instructor Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions in September 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and cover letter online to become an instructor.

Shortly after, I was informed that I had advanced to record an audition. You record the audition online using your computer webcam to present instruction on a couple of questions applicable to the test you will be teaching.

After the online audition, I was told within a few days that I had advanced to have an in person interview with the local hiring manager. After responding with my availability, I never heard back from the recruiters. I emailed several people at Kaplan who I had communicated with previously to no response. I was very disappointed at the lack of communication and professionalism at the end of my recruitment experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions

Worked for Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions interview questions and advice. All 72 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions employees and interview candidates.