Kaplan Tutoring Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2014

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaplan Tutoring

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Tutoring in March 2014.

After I applied online, I heard back straight away, which was positive. In the first week, I had to present an online video of me teaching. After that, I had a one-on-one interview with a hiring member of Kaplan. Finally, I had to go through a technical evaluation where I had to pretend I was teaching to a class. All the while, the HR department replies to your questions almost immediately, sometimes 5 minutes after sending. In the end, when I was rejected, I asked for feedback and improvements on my teaching skills, and ironically, there is no reply at all.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if you get to a Kaplan center and the door is locked?   View Answer

Kaplan Premier Tutoring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan Tutoring in October 2009.

I interviewed with my direct manager and the manager of the center when it was SCORE! (later bought out by Kaplan Tutoring).

Great company when it was SCORE due to better communication between supervisors and workers. I didn't have to go through the interview process again when it became Kaplan Tutoring. Be enthusiastic, positive, and love kids. Office culture/work culture was very by the book once Kaplan took over. Everything the tutors said and did was scripted and the managers were constantly on the tutors to stick to the script (not so great, when the script has typos, repeat assignments, miscalculations in the math books). Hopefully, things have changed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Kaplan Tutoring in January 2010.

The interview was done in two parts. The first part is a group interview, which I am guessing is to filter people out. The second was a one-on-one interview. The employees at the center were very nice and personable. In both interviews, they ask the applicants to teach a "mini-lesson." This is not too difficult, as the topics are usually elementary school level.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to the parents of your student who feel that their child should be at a higher level?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan Tutoring in November 2009.

Phone interview with a nice lady. She asked about interests in teaching, age group, and qualifications. She described the work environment and that personal transportation would be a requirement. She also made clear that friendships and a mentor-mentee type relationship was encouraged (almost expected).

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Kaplan Tutoring in December 2010.

It took them quite fast to reply to my application. The interview were essentially done in three part, a phone interview, a face-face interview and a mini lesson.

The first part was a phone interview., The lady was friendly and sounded yound. She asked about my qualifications and my subject area. She was pleased with my replies and invited me down for a face to face interview. The face to face interview was conducted by the center's manager. She was a middle aged lady and really experience in the educational field. During the interview she shared about the history of the centre and what the job of a tutor encompasses. She asked about my teaching expereince, qualification and the level which I will be comfortable to teach. But what really left an impression was the question :"What is the most important factor when it comes to teaching children?"

After the face-face interview, I was asked to conduct a mini-lesson (30 mins) which was easy. I was asked to go back and wait for a reply. It wasn't long for them to get back to me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate children who doesn't want to learn?   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan Tutoring in April 2009.

Phone interview first, then in person interview with simulating tutoring and a simple skills test. Initially must train for ~25 hrs before tutoring on your own. Recently changed companies from Score to Kaplan Tutoring.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a child who refuses to pay attention and distracts fellow students?   Answer Question
    not applicable. no negotiation, hourly rate same for all beginning tutors.

Worked for Kaplan Tutoring? Contribute to the Community!