Kaplan University

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Kaplan University

Interview Details – Was called to set-up what I believed to be an interview after I submitted my resume' and application online. What it turned out to be was a "group" interview with about 9 other candidate. During our hour long presentation, the director explained that this position though it is titled "Admissions Ad visor" it is not inf act an advisory position, rather it is a sales position. During the presentation we were told that there would b e a short break and if the job wasn't for us or what we had expected then we could leave at that time.

I found this to be an odd procedure. Wouldn't it just be easier to be upfront in the job description rather than reverting to a certain amount of deception to get candidates in the door?

I felt this to be an unfair way of handling a position, though I do give points for creativity!

Admission's Advisor Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very detailed interview process and long. I had to wait over a month for a training class to begin. Pretty typical interview process except toward the final 3 interview felt like an interrogation with two directors who tag teamed you with questions about your past. They would spite out questions and write down everything you answered. Very strange experience and felt like I did something wrong.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you where faced with a difficult situation and your outcome was negative because you made the wrong choice? What? Really?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They made a low ball offer and stated that was as high as they could go. At that point I explained that I wouldn't be able to accept less than $38k a year after they offered $30k to $33k a year max. Then they came back at $38k. My friend was offered $39,500.

Very Easy Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan University in March 2009.

Interview Details – Kaplan's recruiter called me for 2 months trying to entice me into an interview. I wasnt interested at the time. The salary that they were offering was less than I was currently making. Then a friend accepted a position there and ranted and raved how great they were.
So I went for an interview and was referred to a SDOA and hired that afternoon.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. However it was unexpected that this was a SALES position and not an ADVISOR position   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy, Just ask for your expected salary and dont be afraid to keep walking. You will earn every nickle you make here so go for the top dollar.

Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview Details – I was recruited by Kaplan's inside recruiter and they called me for a phone screen. They then asked me to come in for my first interview with the recruiter only. I did, and I was given a tour of the site. I sat and listened to an Admissions Advisor as they did their job to see if it would be something I could see myself doing. They then called me for a second interview, this time with an ADOA and a DOA. I was then asked some basic interview questions and sold myself. I was offered the job the next day via a phone call from the recruiter.

Interview Question – I didn't really have an unexpected question, they were pretty standard interview questions. An example was: Tell me about a time in your career where you ran into an obstacle, and how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary.

Very Easy Interview

Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan University in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for the Admissions Advisor position and about two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview later in the week. I showed up to interview and was placed in a room with 8 other individuals. Someone in the group asked why it was going to be done as a group and the Director of Admissions said it was very informal and first initial meeting was for them to talk about Kaplan and the position. She mentioned that she would speak about the position for about 20 minutes and then take a break and at that time if anyone was no longer interested they were free to leave. I knew once she said that it was not going to be the typical admissions job I was hoping for. She spoke a couple of minutes about what the University has to offer to students but the majority of the time she spoke about how this was going to be a SALES position not a counseling position. Everyone is given daily, monthly, and yearly goals that will be monitored very closely. She said in order to meet the goals you are given overtime is highly encouraged. She said anyone stepping into Admissions role will have to work two nights a week until 8pm, two nights until 6pm (Fridays the office closes at 4pm) and then usually come in for overtime on Saturdays 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. After she went over it being a SALES position, goals, and hours you would be required to work it was time for our "Break". I did not stay to listen to the rest of her presentation. I do not want to be in a position where I am constantly micro-managed and given goals that are set so high it is pretty much mandatory that you have to work overtime or else you are canned. Thanks but no thanks. I will say though that it is very respectful of them to let people know a head of time so they do not get into a position and not realize what is expected of them.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself?   Answer Question

Boca Raton, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University in July 2010.

Interview Details – During the interview process the Contracted Recruiter mentioned benefits and a pay scale that was never implimented and not true; the interview process was a two-part process, one with the Recruiter/Interviewer and another day with a Director of Admissions. I had to prove my education criteria, background, etc with the Recruiter/Interviewer and prove my previous skills, selling abilities in detail with the Director of Admissions.

Negotiation Details – If you interview for an Admissions Advisor position, get it in writing (with a signature) of accepted and expected salary that you feel comfortable with, dont take verbal salary increase expectation that most likely will not occur if this company is still running same business as when I worked there a few months ago.

Admission Advisor Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Kaplan University in February 2011.

Interview Details – Filled out for the position approximately a week ago, and got a call the following week to set up a phone interview, after initial phone interview a request was asked of me to come in to take a timed assessment test. This is as far as I've gotten. I have my assessment today.

Interview Questions

Plantation, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Kaplan University in February 2010.

Interview Details – phone interview then in person. I decided I didn't want the job.

Interview Question – what has been your biggest dissappointment in business   View Answer

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kaplan University in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for a different position in Kaplan and was contacted by recruiter stating that I don't have enough experience for this position, but they would like to interview me for the Admissions Advisor position. She scheduled the interview for the same day few hours later. The recruiter was very friendly and interview went very well. Standard questions about my experience, examples of selling something, describe difficult situation and how I deal with it. Also she asked what I know about Kaplan. I was invited for the second in person interview wi recruiter. The first part of the interview was a simple Outlook test: to compose an email, attach file and send it. The second part of the interview were standard behavioral questions. Make see you use STAR method (situation, task, action, result). She said she would contact me within 2 weeks and the next and last step is an interview with HR manager. Very sales oriented job. Make sure you dress up very conservative.

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Kaplan University

Interview Details – I was first called by a recruiter who asked me several questions about previous work experience based on my resume that she found online. Next she set up an interview with the director of admissions for the company. On the day of my interview the Human resources manager and the director of admissions interviewed me and asked me about my experiences. When the interview was done they askedme to sit outside and wait for about ten mintues. When they returned the offered me a position which I accepted that day. Work started about three weeks later.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kaplan University

Worked for Kaplan University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaplan University Admissions Advisor interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kaplan University employees and interview candidates.