Kaplan University Admissions Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job via the Kaplan website. About one day later if not the same day, I received an email from a recruiter who provided a link via email. The link was to a virtual interviewing site that the interviewee was to acesss with a device that has a camera. I used my laptop. I was given an essay question to answer first, where I had to type out a response. The rest of the interview consisted of me answering about six interview questions on camera with no one at the other end. Its just you looking at yourself for two minutes at a time which is very distracting by the way. I also had to fake sell them a product as an answer to one of the interview questions. I did not get the in person interview. However, based on the reviews they saved me a headache so I am thankful. I actually interviewed for this position back in 2011 and was invited back for a second interview where I met with one of the directors. I did not get the job because well...you can fill in the blanks. The HR rep actually called me back and said she did not agree with his decision not to hire me and that she felt I was a good candidate for the position. However, bias lurks everywhere so what can you do. Kaplan, you should loose that video process that you do. Its ineffective and shows you are cutting corners. I did not get the job and yet never got to actually speak with a human being? Come on now. Give people a fair shot and allow them to come in and interview in person. Like I said, you guys saved me a headache because you have a plethora of complaints on this website from current employees. Plus I read that the pay has changed to a low base plus commission, rather than a straight salary. Your people are misrable.

Interview Questions

• One question I remember is the age old question of tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kaplan University

Admission Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kaplan University in July 2014.

Interview

I was given a phone interview by a recruiter and ask some behavioral questions, at the end of our 25 minutes interview she offer to set me up for a second interview with a manager. I had the interview and was interviewed by the ADOA and the DOA. They threw behavioral questions requesting to give examples and outcomes.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when I plan something that back fired on me, honestly I have never made an work related plans that back fired   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't attempt to negotiate since they were pay pretty well compared to other colleges

Admissions Advisor Interview

Interview

Was called to set-up what I believed to be an interview after I submitted my resume' and application online. What it turned out to be was a "group" interview with about 9 other candidate. During our hour long presentation, the director explained that this position though it is titled "Admissions Ad visor" it is not inf act an advisory position, rather it is a sales position. During the presentation we were told that there would b e a short break and if the job wasn't for us or what we had expected then we could leave at that time. I found this to be an odd procedure. Wouldn't it just be easier to be upfront in the job description rather than reverting to a certain amount of deception to get candidates in the door? I felt this to be an unfair way of handling a position, though I do give points for creativity!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

behavior based interview. They ask you about past experiences so be prepared to discuss the STAR format. Situation, Task, Action, Result. Stay away from hypothetical, use experiences that you specifically impacted. No vague or high level answers, be numbers oriented.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

Started with the application. Then a phone interview with a corporate recruiter. Situation based questions were asked. After the phone interview I was asked to interview with the director of admissions and the associate director of admissions. More situation based questions and behavior based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you closed a deal and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in April 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was done over the phone and online. It was very casual, and the staff were professional. The final interview was done with two Admissions Advisors that were very cordial and made the experience pleasant. The period of time from initial contact to being offered the position was in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• How would you apply past experience working with adult learners in the classroom (campus setting)to this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didnt have to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I was recruited by Kaplan's inside recruiter and they called me for a phone screen. They then asked me to come in for my first interview with the recruiter only. I did, and I was given a tour of the site. I sat and listened to an Admissions Advisor as they did their job to see if it would be something I could see myself doing. They then called me for a second interview, this time with an ADOA and a DOA. I was then asked some basic interview questions and sold myself. I was offered the job the next day via a phone call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• I didn't really have an unexpected question, they were pretty standard interview questions. An example was: Tell me about a time in your career where you ran into an obstacle, and how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary.

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Kaplan University (Des Moines, IA) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online for the Admissions Advisor position and about two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview later in the week. I showed up to interview and was placed in a room with 8 other individuals. Someone in the group asked why it was going to be done as a group and the Director of Admissions said it was very informal and first initial meeting was for them to talk about Kaplan and the position. She mentioned that she would speak about the position for about 20 minutes and then take a break and at that time if anyone was no longer interested they were free to leave. I knew once she said that it was not going to be the typical admissions job I was hoping for. She spoke a couple of minutes about what the University has to offer to students but the majority of the time she spoke about how this was going to be a SALES position not a counseling position. Everyone is given daily, monthly, and yearly goals that will be monitored very closely. She said in order to meet the goals you are given overtime is highly encouraged. She said anyone stepping into Admissions role will have to work two nights a week until 8pm, two nights until 6pm (Fridays the office closes at 4pm) and then usually come in for overtime on Saturdays 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. After she went over it being a SALES position, goals, and hours you would be required to work it was time for our "Break". I did not stay to listen to the rest of her presentation. I do not want to be in a position where I am constantly micro-managed and given goals that are set so high it is pretty much mandatory that you have to work overtime or else you are canned. Thanks but no thanks. I will say though that it is very respectful of them to let people know a head of time so they do not get into a position and not realize what is expected of them.

Admission's Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

Very detailed interview process and long. I had to wait over a month for a training class to begin. Pretty typical interview process except toward the final 3 interview felt like an interrogation with two directors who tag teamed you with questions about your past. They would spite out questions and write down everything you answered. Very strange experience and felt like I did something wrong.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you where faced with a difficult situation and your outcome was negative because you made the wrong choice? What? Really?   2 Answers

Negotiation

They made a low ball offer and stated that was as high as they could go. At that point I explained that I wouldn't be able to accept less than $38k a year after they offered $30k to $33k a year max. Then they came back at $38k. My friend was offered $39,500.

Admission Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in February 2011.

Interview

Filled out for the position approximately a week ago, and got a call the following week to set up a phone interview, after initial phone interview a request was asked of me to come in to take a timed assessment test. This is as far as I've gotten. I have my assessment today.