Kaplan University

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.6

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Admission Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kaplan University in July 2014.

I was given a phone interview by a recruiter and ask some behavioral questions, at the end of our 25 minutes interview she offer to set me up for a second interview with a manager. I had the interview and was interviewed by the ADOA and the DOA. They threw behavioral questions requesting to give examples and outcomes.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time when I plan something that back fired on me, honestly I have never made an work related plans that back fired   Answer Question
I didn't attempt to negotiate since they were pay pretty well compared to other colleges

Other Interview Reviews for Kaplan University

Admissions Advisor Interview

Was called to set-up what I believed to be an interview after I submitted my resume' and application online. What it turned out to be was a "group" interview with about 9 other candidate. During our hour long presentation, the director explained that this position though it is titled "Admissions Ad visor" it is not inf act an advisory position, rather it is a sales position. During the presentation we were told that there would b e a short break and if the job wasn't for us or what we had expected then we could leave at that time.

I found this to be an odd procedure. Wouldn't it just be easier to be upfront in the job description rather than reverting to a certain amount of deception to get candidates in the door?

I felt this to be an unfair way of handling a position, though I do give points for creativity!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University.

I was recruited by Kaplan's inside recruiter and they called me for a phone screen. They then asked me to come in for my first interview with the recruiter only. I did, and I was given a tour of the site. I sat and listened to an Admissions Advisor as they did their job to see if it would be something I could see myself doing. They then called me for a second interview, this time with an ADOA and a DOA. I was then asked some basic interview questions and sold myself. I was offered the job the next day via a phone call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really have an unexpected question, they were pretty standard interview questions. An example was: Tell me about a time in your career where you ran into an obstacle, and how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan University in May 2012.

Applied online for the Admissions Advisor position and about two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview later in the week. I showed up to interview and was placed in a room with 8 other individuals. Someone in the group asked why it was going to be done as a group and the Director of Admissions said it was very informal and first initial meeting was for them to talk about Kaplan and the position. She mentioned that she would speak about the position for about 20 minutes and then take a break and at that time if anyone was no longer interested they were free to leave. I knew once she said that it was not going to be the typical admissions job I was hoping for. She spoke a couple of minutes about what the University has to offer to students but the majority of the time she spoke about how this was going to be a SALES position not a counseling position. Everyone is given daily, monthly, and yearly goals that will be monitored very closely. She said in order to meet the goals you are given overtime is highly encouraged. She said anyone stepping into Admissions role will have to work two nights a week until 8pm, two nights until 6pm (Fridays the office closes at 4pm) and then usually come in for overtime on Saturdays 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. After she went over it being a SALES position, goals, and hours you would be required to work it was time for our "Break". I did not stay to listen to the rest of her presentation. I do not want to be in a position where I am constantly micro-managed and given goals that are set so high it is pretty much mandatory that you have to work overtime or else you are canned. Thanks but no thanks. I will say though that it is very respectful of them to let people know a head of time so they do not get into a position and not realize what is expected of them.

Admission's Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in January 2012.

Very detailed interview process and long. I had to wait over a month for a training class to begin. Pretty typical interview process except toward the final 3 interview felt like an interrogation with two directors who tag teamed you with questions about your past. They would spite out questions and write down everything you answered. Very strange experience and felt like I did something wrong.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you where faced with a difficult situation and your outcome was negative because you made the wrong choice? What? Really?   View Answer
    They made a low ball offer and stated that was as high as they could go. At that point I explained that I wouldn't be able to accept less than $38k a year after they offered $30k to $33k a year max. Then they came back at $38k. My friend was offered $39,500.

Admission Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University in February 2011.

Filled out for the position approximately a week ago, and got a call the following week to set up a phone interview, after initial phone interview a request was asked of me to come in to take a timed assessment test. This is as far as I've gotten. I have my assessment today.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in July 2010.

During the interview process the Contracted Recruiter mentioned benefits and a pay scale that was never implimented and not true; the interview process was a two-part process, one with the Recruiter/Interviewer and another day with a Director of Admissions. I had to prove my education criteria, background, etc with the Recruiter/Interviewer and prove my previous skills, selling abilities in detail with the Director of Admissions.

If you interview for an Admissions Advisor position, get it in writing (with a signature) of accepted and expected salary that you feel comfortable with, dont take verbal salary increase expectation that most likely will not occur if this company is still running same business as when I worked there a few months ago.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in March 2010.

I applied online for a different position in Kaplan and was contacted by recruiter stating that I don't have enough experience for this position, but they would like to interview me for the Admissions Advisor position. She scheduled the interview for the same day few hours later. The recruiter was very friendly and interview went very well. Standard questions about my experience, examples of selling something, describe difficult situation and how I deal with it. Also she asked what I know about Kaplan. I was invited for the second in person interview wi recruiter. The first part of the interview was a simple Outlook test: to compose an email, attach file and send it. The second part of the interview were standard behavioral questions. Make see you use STAR method (situation, task, action, result). She said she would contact me within 2 weeks and the next and last step is an interview with HR manager. Very sales oriented job. Make sure you dress up very conservative.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan University in February 2010.

phone interview then in person. I decided I didn't want the job.

Interview Questions
    • what has been your biggest dissappointment in business   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan University in March 2009.

Kaplan's recruiter called me for 2 months trying to entice me into an interview. I wasnt interested at the time. The salary that they were offering was less than I was currently making. Then a friend accepted a position there and ranted and raved how great they were.
    So I went for an interview and was referred to a SDOA and hired that afternoon.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. However it was unexpected that this was a SALES position and not an ADVISOR position   View Answer
    Easy, Just ask for your expected salary and dont be afraid to keep walking. You will earn every nickle you make here so go for the top dollar.