Kaplan University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2014

2.5

Admissions Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University.

I was recruited by Kaplan's inside recruiter and they called me for a phone screen. They then asked me to come in for my first interview with the recruiter only. I did, and I was given a tour of the site. I sat and listened to an Admissions Advisor as they did their job to see if it would be something I could see myself doing. They then called me for a second interview, this time with an ADOA and a DOA. I was then asked some basic interview questions and sold myself. I was offered the job the next day via a phone call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really have an unexpected question, they were pretty standard interview questions. An example was: Tell me about a time in your career where you ran into an obstacle, and how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate my salary.

Admissions Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kaplan University in May 2012.

Applied online for the Admissions Advisor position and about two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview later in the week. I showed up to interview and was placed in a room with 8 other individuals. Someone in the group asked why it was going to be done as a group and the Director of Admissions said it was very informal and first initial meeting was for them to talk about Kaplan and the position. She mentioned that she would speak about the position for about 20 minutes and then take a break and at that time if anyone was no longer interested they were free to leave. I knew once she said that it was not going to be the typical admissions job I was hoping for. She spoke a couple of minutes about what the University has to offer to students but the majority of the time she spoke about how this was going to be a SALES position not a counseling position. Everyone is given daily, monthly, and yearly goals that will be monitored very closely. She said in order to meet the goals you are given overtime is highly encouraged. She said anyone stepping into Admissions role will have to work two nights a week until 8pm, two nights until 6pm (Fridays the office closes at 4pm) and then usually come in for overtime on Saturdays 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. After she went over it being a SALES position, goals, and hours you would be required to work it was time for our "Break". I did not stay to listen to the rest of her presentation. I do not want to be in a position where I am constantly micro-managed and given goals that are set so high it is pretty much mandatory that you have to work overtime or else you are canned. Thanks but no thanks. I will say though that it is very respectful of them to let people know a head of time so they do not get into a position and not realize what is expected of them.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in March 2012.

Thorough and detailed with multiple interviews.

Fine.

Financial Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in February 2012.

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me the next day. We talked for approx. 30 minutes which made up a "pre-interview" or screening. We discussed job qualifications, requirements and salary expectations.Then that week I had my first official phone interview with someone in the financial aid office in Chicago. After that I had a 1:1 interview with the director of financial aid that was really simple and lasted 10 minutes. Overall not too stressful.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect to me the most difficult part of your job if you were hired by Kaplan?   View Answer
    Some room for negotiaition. Take advantage of shift differential.

Admission's Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in January 2012.

Very detailed interview process and long. I had to wait over a month for a training class to begin. Pretty typical interview process except toward the final 3 interview felt like an interrogation with two directors who tag teamed you with questions about your past. They would spite out questions and write down everything you answered. Very strange experience and felt like I did something wrong.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you where faced with a difficult situation and your outcome was negative because you made the wrong choice? What? Really?   View Answer
    They made a low ball offer and stated that was as high as they could go. At that point I explained that I wouldn't be able to accept less than $38k a year after they offered $30k to $33k a year max. Then they came back at $38k. My friend was offered $39,500.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University in January 2012.

Contacted by a recruiter-phone interview
    Called back by the recruiter and set up a one on one with the manager
    Interview with the manage 1:1

Interview Questions
    They are competitive they will pay you based on your degree and experience,

Director of Career Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in January 2012.

Traditional hiring process you apply on-line, follow-up and schedule meetings. Non-Traditional interviewing process it took multiple interviews completed a 1:1, then a group, then a lunch, then a presentation. You have to then complete an on-line application and background check release which can take up to minimum one week and maximum 30 days. Be prepared to share all previous employers, length of employment, and the time period. They will consider applicants with criminal convictions on case by case basis

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Kaplan University and with that why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    Willing to negotiate based of experience, willingness to learn, and skills & qualifications

Financial Aid Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University in November 2011.

I was interviewed by 6 different members of financial aid management at the same time, with them all sitting around me and starring me down from the end of the table. It was a very nerve racking experience and meant to intimidate you. Luckily I don't scare easily. It took them about a week to get back to me and I had to make my decision right away.

Interview Questions
    There was not any negotiation, I was transferring from another department

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University in November 2011.

I was interviewed by two different administrators. The first one was the usual questions and a tour of the place. Then I was invited for a second interview/meeting with the vice-president. He told me there was one more candidate other than me that was being considered. The decision was expected to be made "in a few days." I wrote thank you messages to both people, said that I was looking forward to hearing about the decision. I did not hear _anything_ back. That's bad manners and bad professional behaviour. I wonder how they run the daily affairs of the school.

Interview Questions
    • This is not a question, but a comment made about the previous person in the position. Was I able to get along with people, because there had been a problem with the librarian before and it had not worked out.   Answer Question

Admission Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University in February 2011.

Filled out for the position approximately a week ago, and got a call the following week to set up a phone interview, after initial phone interview a request was asked of me to come in to take a timed assessment test. This is as far as I've gotten. I have my assessment today.