Kaplan University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Kaplan University.

Interview

Highly unprofessional hiring process. I was called for an interview and the initial personality questionnaire. However, they never actually followed through and scheduled an interview. When I called to follow up, the receptionist hung up on me.

Interview Questions

• There were odd questions on the personality assessment regarding political affiliation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in April 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was done over the phone and online. It was very casual, and the staff were professional. The final interview was done with two Admissions Advisors that were very cordial and made the experience pleasant. The period of time from initial contact to being offered the position was in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• How would you apply past experience working with adult learners in the classroom (campus setting)to this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didnt have to negotiate

Executive Director Interview

Interview

Pretty standard. Initial screening interview with HR, and follow up by phone by member of management team. A series of in-person interviews follow, mostly in Chicago. Kaplan believes that it's best to have many opinions on a hire. There wasn't really any specific order or hierarchy in interviewers; more based on their availability that day.

Interview Questions

• There were no unusual questions. A few behavioral (STAR) questions by HR, but otherwise pretty open and general. Some interviewers preferred to describe their own role and abilities.   1 Answer

Career Services Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Omaha, NE) in January 2013.

Interview

i submitted a resume and completed an application. Phone interview, then panel interview followed by a presentation that I would give to students on any employment related topic. Interviewed with the President.

Financial Aid Servicing Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview and then two face to face interviews with hiring managers. The interview process was good. I received a phone interview about a week after applying online. It was about 10-15 minutes long. During the phone interview, the recruiter informed me of the salary (not that competitive). Then the recruiter invited me for a face-to-face interview. Since, I was coming from out of town, the manager conducted the initial interview and then requested I stay for the second interview since she was please with my skills. Before the second interview, the manager gave me a tour of the facility (nice facility) and explained what I'd be doing there in depth. After the second interview, I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were pretty straigt forward. I will say that they did like the fact that I knew background infrmation about the company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, the pay was the pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I was recruited by Kaplan's inside recruiter and they called me for a phone screen. They then asked me to come in for my first interview with the recruiter only. I did, and I was given a tour of the site. I sat and listened to an Admissions Advisor as they did their job to see if it would be something I could see myself doing. They then called me for a second interview, this time with an ADOA and a DOA. I was then asked some basic interview questions and sold myself. I was offered the job the next day via a phone call from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• I didn't really have an unexpected question, they were pretty standard interview questions. An example was: Tell me about a time in your career where you ran into an obstacle, and how you overcame that obstacle.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary.

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Kaplan University (Des Moines, IA) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online for the Admissions Advisor position and about two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I could come in for an interview later in the week. I showed up to interview and was placed in a room with 8 other individuals. Someone in the group asked why it was going to be done as a group and the Director of Admissions said it was very informal and first initial meeting was for them to talk about Kaplan and the position. She mentioned that she would speak about the position for about 20 minutes and then take a break and at that time if anyone was no longer interested they were free to leave. I knew once she said that it was not going to be the typical admissions job I was hoping for. She spoke a couple of minutes about what the University has to offer to students but the majority of the time she spoke about how this was going to be a SALES position not a counseling position. Everyone is given daily, monthly, and yearly goals that will be monitored very closely. She said in order to meet the goals you are given overtime is highly encouraged. She said anyone stepping into Admissions role will have to work two nights a week until 8pm, two nights until 6pm (Fridays the office closes at 4pm) and then usually come in for overtime on Saturdays 2 or 3 weeks out of the month. After she went over it being a SALES position, goals, and hours you would be required to work it was time for our "Break". I did not stay to listen to the rest of her presentation. I do not want to be in a position where I am constantly micro-managed and given goals that are set so high it is pretty much mandatory that you have to work overtime or else you are canned. Thanks but no thanks. I will say though that it is very respectful of them to let people know a head of time so they do not get into a position and not realize what is expected of them.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in March 2012.

Interview

Thorough and detailed with multiple interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Fine.

Financial Aid Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter contacted me the next day. We talked for approx. 30 minutes which made up a "pre-interview" or screening. We discussed job qualifications, requirements and salary expectations.Then that week I had my first official phone interview with someone in the financial aid office in Chicago. After that I had a 1:1 interview with the director of financial aid that was really simple and lasted 10 minutes. Overall not too stressful.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to me the most difficult part of your job if you were hired by Kaplan?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Some room for negotiaition. Take advantage of shift differential.

Admission's Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kaplan University (Orlando, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

Very detailed interview process and long. I had to wait over a month for a training class to begin. Pretty typical interview process except toward the final 3 interview felt like an interrogation with two directors who tag teamed you with questions about your past. They would spite out questions and write down everything you answered. Very strange experience and felt like I did something wrong.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you where faced with a difficult situation and your outcome was negative because you made the wrong choice? What? Really?   2 Answers

Negotiation

They made a low ball offer and stated that was as high as they could go. At that point I explained that I wouldn't be able to accept less than $38k a year after they offered $30k to $33k a year max. Then they came back at $38k. My friend was offered $39,500.