Karolinska Institute Interview Questions

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Karolinska Institute

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solna, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solna, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Karolinska Institute.

Was difficult to reach the group leader by email (he treats job enquiries as junk email for the most part), so had to call, but he didn't pick up his phone; finally got a secretary to take pity on me and give me his cell phone. From there it was a brieze.

Interview Questions
    • It really was all very simple and straightforward - I guess prospective PhD students don't typically present to a lab meeting, which I did, as I had been working in a lab elsewhere before and had enough data for it.   Answer Question
    no negotiation possible - same for all PhD students in the department

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Karolinska Institute in July 2011.

Experience in the related field is what counts mostly. Secondly being innovative and passionate in your field is also necessary. Having a journal publication and poster presentations will help very much and also of course good communication skill

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Karolinska Institute in April 2010.

The 1:1 interview focused on discussions of my research experience, leadership experience, communications experience and vision for a specific project. The employer was searching for someone who could switch between and integrate different resolution levels involved in project management, from the design, implementation, analysis and interpretation of specific experiments, to the recruitment, management and training of team members, to tactical decision making on project directions, and also strategic decision making on long term project development and targeting.

A presentation to the host laboratory involved explanation of past findings, methodological capabilities and most critically, vision for the future of the project in question. Q and A was open ended but focused predominantly on scientific findings rather than project/management issues.

An extensive document (fitting a KI pro-forma) was required detailing past research, training, management, and leadership experience. Publication lists, conference and invited speaker presentations, patents/licenses held, commercialisation history, and awards/fellowships/grants were all key parameters for external review by internationally renowned professors.

Interview Questions
    • How do you envisage the development of the specific (technical development and implementation) project over the next 5 years?   View Answer
    • How have/would you deal(t) with a situation where a member of the team you are leading is under-performing?   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a 10% increase in the offered salary.

I would closely consider the technical capacity of KI, given that I have found it to be disappointing, in terms of cutting-edge technical infrastructure. If you're project requires technical access, ensure that it is in place before starting a position - do not accept assurances that it will be acquired later, as this is an extremely slow and inefficient process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Karolinska Institute in January 2010.

Had to work hard to make contact with group leader - they get tons of junk applications, so if you don't hear from them by email, don't give up. Emailed a couple times, no word. Started calling office, no answer. Eventually, after many calls over a couple weeks, was forwarded to secretary who took pity on me and gave me his cell phone number, made contact. At this point he was already impressed which made the rest a lot easier.
    Flew over at group leader's expense. If you visit other group leaders there, say so or they will get very annoyed. Made a research presentation (unusual for PhD studentships), two 1:1 interviews, one with group leader, other with close collaborator in the department. Very straightforward, although I was familiar with the field, no surprises, no brain-teasers. Generally was a discussion of projects, science, and personal history. Offered idea for a project, which was clearly appreciated, although equally clearly not seriously considered. Met lab members who described ongoing projects in the lab. Lunch with the boss and collaborator. Dinner with the lab, minus boss.
    Overall, exciting, fun, interesting, busy, and lots of information to absorb.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation on starting date only. Salaries are fixed.

R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huddinge (Sweden)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huddinge (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Karolinska Institute in May 2009.

I received the phone interview at first and was invited then to visit the place. It was a one-day interview and nearly every member of the group had a brief discussion with me, introducing their work. Finally, I had a private conversation with the group leader about my future work and research topics.

Interview Questions
    • technical question about your background and main research topics   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Karolinska Institute in April 2009.

I received an email after application stating that my application was under review. A few days later, I received an email for setting up a Phone interview appointment. It was an enjoyable interview and many questions were asked, many general, some on the philosophy of research and some about the practical considerations of the job. Then I was asked to visit the workplace for a 1:1 interview. I made a presentation of a about an hour and was interviewed and got to meet with many people at various levels in the organization. At the end of the day, I was asked for my opinion and consent and also offered the position. It was a very enjoyable process overall. The phone calls were prompt and things were well taken care of.

Interview Questions
    It was straightforward, gentle and kind and honest. Totally my type!