Katy ISD

Updated Aug 15, 2014
Updated Aug 15, 2014

2.0

Certified Substitute Interview

interviewed at Katy ISD in August 2014.

I had a scheduled time, and when I arrived, you picked up the packet corresponding to your certification level. Then, they usher you to tables where you take a "Substitute Qualification Test." Not what I expected at all - it's the a portion of a high school English exam. After you take the test, the usher you to an interview room where they interview you of course. I'm guessing the interview questions are tailored to your education/experience level. Mine was brief and the questions were straight forward - but easy to answer since I've been a teacher for 7 years. After that, they let you know if you will be invited to training within a week. I got the email invitation one day later.

Interview Questions
    • As a certified teacher, what will be the most challenging aspect for you of substituting?   Answer Question

Middle School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Katy ISD.

Submitted a letter of interest and resume to a campus. Received an e-mail from the campus secretary requesting an interview. Interviewed with an assistant principal, department chair, and a teacher in the department. Pretty standard interview; asked 10 or so generic questions and then asked if I had questions of my own.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to invest a student who is not interested in learning your subject?   Answer Question
    No negotiation; district sets pay level based on years of experience.

Substitute Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Katy ISD in February 2014.

It took me a while to figure out the process for substituting since it was my first time trying to get into such a job. At first, I thought that all I had to do was apply by submitting my online application to the job posting on the website. However, after a few weeks of not hearing back, I started looking deeper into it and discovered that there was an orientation I had to sign up for first. After doing so, I then had to drive across town to find a place with extended hours at which I could have my finger prints and background check done.

The day of the interview, about 100 of us arrived at the Main Office, and were ushered to our designated tables after signing in. You got a different colored paper depending on your qualifications (certified or not) and the kind of job you were looking for (teaching/paraprofessional). Once each table finished the paperwork, we were ushered to another room to await an interview.

Inside the room there were three rows of narrow tables running the length of the large hall, with about 6-8 tables per row. Each table had two interviewers, one presumably to ask the questions and write your answers, while the other watched you and your body language. Figuring this, i made sure to go in smiling and confident (despite my nerves), and to strive to engage both interviewers, and not just the one speaking. The interview itself seemed to take about 10-15 minutes depending on how talkative you and the interviewers were, and whether or not you seemed to be a good match. The pair I got was very friendly and approachable, so I was able to relax a little. They asked some very good questions, most of which I had prepared for by reviewing teaching job interview questions the night before. When it was done, I felt really good because of how they had responded (verbally and non-verbally) to my responses. Sure enough, within a week I received an email to schedule my orientation.

The first day for the orientation was canceled due to bad weather, which meant that everyone was attending the second one. I arrived at the main office around 7am and didn't leave until about 3pm. I had thought that lunch would be provided since we were only given 30 minutes, but we were expected to have brought cash or check to pay at the little cafeteria on site. I was lucky I had just enough in coins, since I generally didn't carry cash with me at the time. The first part of the day covered the handbook, the rules, the expectations, and the nitty-gritty side of the job. A little dull, but informative. The second part, however, was like a refresher course of my college SED classes as we reviewed learner types, differentiation, and classroom management - especially how to win the students over within the first minutes of class, how to deal with the more challenging students, and why those kiddos in particular need our encouragement, patience and love the most. Overall, it was a very uplifting and empowering experience.

Normally, it takes about 2 weeks or so for them to process all of the data, and get people set up for subbing. In my case, however, I was called one morning three days after orientation by an elementary school asking if I was available. Apparently, someone had given her my name specifically, and she wanted to know if I would be up for filling in a last minute absence. I accepted it, and had an amazing day with that group of 2nd graders.

My biggest advice is to stay calm, be confident in yourself and your abilities, and to review the interview questions ahead of time. Be prepared to "sell" yourself in that interview, and you will do fine!

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if you get into a classroom, and there is nothing left on the desk for you? No lesson plan, no seating chart, no sub folder?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Katy ISD.

Job postings say to send a letter of interest and résumé to principals after applying; principals’ emails are not publicly posted, so happy hunting. Convoluted substitute hiring/training process, it’s like they don’t really want more substitutes to deal with. Initially submitted over fifty apps and intelligent-sounding cover letters (yes, I found their emails) to positions for which I am both certified and qualified; received cursory response from all of two principals, no interviews. Got a few mid-year interviews for vacated positions; received one polite follow-up of four to tell me I wasn’t hired. Couldn’t get my own kids’ principal to respond even after speaking in person, was told this person doesn’t read emails (??). I know several individuals who quit the education field and went into other lines of work after giving up on ever getting hired with this district.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers are provided canned questions by the district; when I asked for clarification on one question, interviewer looked surprised and said "I don't know! It doesn't say." Learn your edu-nese, they love that language.   Answer Question

High School Teacher Interview

Hard to get in with them. Get lucky or know some one.

Interview Questions
    • No really sure they all ask the same education questions.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Katy ISD in July 2011.

Easiest interview ever very easy to interact. No one on the panel acted like they wanted to be there. One question per panel member. Less than 30 minutes. No offer though-probably an internal candidate and just gave some courtesy interviews.

Secondary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Katy ISD in August 2010.

I got a call on a Tuesday to come in on a Thursday for an interview. Interview lasted about an hour. Very easy, conversation type interview with one person. Very shocked i did not have a group interview. I believe this was because it was so close to the beginning of the school year. Talked about the job, then talked about my background and what I will bring to the table. Then the interviewer talked about what they are looking for and if I can be that person. Of course I agreed and after a few last minute questions from myself I was on my way. Was called from HR that following Tuesday and started orientation the next day. Again, this process was all done very close to the first day of school. So, might not be the same for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what type of teacher you are.   Answer Question
    • There are many teachers that have been teaching for awhile. You being a new teacher, how will you collaborate with them?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Katy ISD in June 2010.

Depending on qualifications, the interviewer asks questions regarding the needs of their school. The interview is fair and pleasant. Katy ISD chooses the best teachers for the position. The schools excel in teaching the students and the students are prepared to enter into the real world.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process was pleasant as the interviewer asked questions pertaining to my expertise as a early childhood teacher.   Answer Question

Textbook Clerk Interview

The interview itself was with three staff members, and robotic. Questions were written out for the interviewer beforehand with no intention of conversation, feedback, or interacting. The two "support" staff present during the interview seemed bored, and being forced to be there. Before the interview was over, I'd decided the atmosphere was not good, and forgot about the position quickly.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had an irate, yelling, difficult parent demand to speak with the principal immediately?   Answer Question