Kayak.com

3.1

Senior Hosting Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kayak.com in May 2014.

I applied online after seeing an ad on StackOverflow. First I was contacted by an internal recruiter to assess my interest, then I had a phone screen with the hiring manager that I felt was very positive. This resulted in my first round of technical interviews.

The office is very hip and cheerful, an open and collaborative workspace. Workers are dressed casually, leading to a relaxed vibe. I was interviewed by 4 team members, each tasked with assessing a particular skillset. It wasn't a technical grilling per se, but I sensed a certain coolness that made me feel that I was swimming upstream very early on. I was frankly shocked to hear that I was still in the running and would be asked to come in a second time.

About a week later, I met with the hiring manager and his boss. Both conversations were more energetic, hitting upon some more common themes based upon my work experience. It led me to believe - falsely, as it turned out - that I had possibly made the cut.

Interview Questions
    • Here's a piece of chalk - design me a company website on that blackboard.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kayak.com in April 2014.

Applied to a job posting online. A week or two later, an HR rep emailed me to scheduled a phone interview. A week after the phone interview, the HR rep called again and asked me to come into the office for an in-person interview. On site, I met with five different people individually. Eight days after the in-person interview, I was told that I was rejected for the position.

The office in Stamford has a 'start-up feel'. A wide-open, barn-style building of a few floors.

Definitely not the most professional interview process. The people were friendly, but ...

1) The dress ranged from kind of business casual to sweatshirts/jeans. The HR rep never told me this, so it did feel awkward being there in a suit and tie.

2) The hiring manager who I spoke with on the phone never met with me in person, even though I was told that she would meet with me. Kind of unprofessional and rude.

3) Wayyyyy too many people interviewing me. One person who sat down with me said, "I haven't even looked at your resume". That was very unprofessional on his and the firm's part.

4) No discussion about starting date, salary, etc.

5) No feedback following the interview, apart from the rejection eight days later.

Although their business is doing well, they really need to step up the recruiting process. Simply put, it's not that professional, and definitely not the top of fast-moving process that will get them top talent.

Data Analytics Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kayak.com.

Got a phone interview

Interview Questions
    • just basic question in data structure, database and statistic   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I was notified of an initial email via email. I then had a phone interview with two different senior level members (30 minutes each). Both asked similar questions (your typical interview questions, i.e., tell me about yourself, client-facing experience, what do you know about Kayak). Very nice people.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions other than "tell me about yourself", which is always a tricky one for many to answer.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kayak.com.

Started with a short, 20 min phone interview with basic OO programming concept questions. Next, came in for 2 rounds of in-person interviews with about 4-5 developers/managers both times. Interview rounds lasted ~4 hours each time. Was asked fairly simple computer science/logic questions (not language specific). Once the initial phone interview was setup, the whole process moved fairly quickly, with an offer coming about 2 weeks after the initial phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Implement an ArrayList without using any classes in the Java Collections framework.   Answer Question

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kayak.com in September 2013.

A series of interviewers. Most of the interviewers asked CSS, or google maps, based questions.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kayak.com in August 2013.

very fast response as they like my background. One phone interview with senior management, go straight to office interview and meet all the people I need to meet. Issue offer letter the next day, need to accept within a week.

Mainly salary and title.

Java Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kayak.com in October 2014.

1. A recruiter contacted me on linkedin for this position in the company. She couldnt tell me details about the position (duties, technologies, etc). There was a skype call.

2. Someone from Kayak call me to know me better but couldnt tell me details about the position.

3. I have to develope at home a program consitin about a robot which moves in a 2D matrix by using coordinates as input.

4. In site interview. They wanted to do 3 different interviews with 3 different develoopers.

4.1 First interview was with a girl who told me was working in frontend. When I asked about the details of the position she told me with this words: "Well, i can describe you something but if you ask someone else will tell you something completely different from it".

4.1.1 First question was about software design. Her communication skills were really low and couldnt explain properly what she wanted (check most difficult questions below for details) so i made different designs but no one was 100% right. After that she explained to me in a very arrogant way the solution. I was a bit shocked that someone working in front end had that expertise in software design.
    A few days later i found out that she was using the same example, words and explanations found in the book "Head First Design Patterns". So she practically put me the example of the first design patter described in that book: "Strategy pattern".

4.2.2 After that she asked me if I remember the different sorting algorithms you can use to sort the elements of an array. I told her I had just learnt and used that on my first year at the university, 15 years ago, and never more (someone tells me when you use that in Java). I told her (because it was a Java interview) I could use of course the Java tools for that (Comparator/Comparable, Collections.sort() etc...) but still she insisted me to do some algorithm on the blackboard but I was already pissed and refused.

4.2 Second interview: even if they had already decided they didnt want me a guy came to test my Java skills with a test (quite simple) and asked me some theory about generics, hashmaps, inheritance etc... He had some sql questions as well and I answered everything fine. He told me they would call me for the third interview.

The day after they told me they wouldn't offer me anything.

I found the whole process just too much. I have 3 years of Java experience and applied for a non senior position with an average salary (40K) so 2 interviews + test + 3 separate technical interviews is just too much. They are one of the I-wanna-be-so-cool-as-Facebook company who want the top of the top but cannot even show what they are looking for or offering.

The only thing all of them could tell me about the job was that you can have a mcbook air plus 2 retinas displays and that you travel twice to the US.

Interview Questions
    • This is a much better description of what I heard from the girl of the interview.

There are ducks. Ducks can fly and quack but in different ways. Make a design so that you can have all the ducks in the system with the different "flying modes" and "quack modes".

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)
    Anonymous Employee in Berlin (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kayak.com in September 2014.

Interview process took about 2 weeks. Initially there was a simple coding challenge (about 1 to 1,5h of work). Then there was a phone call with recruiter from Kayak asking HR stuff followed by an on site interview invitation. On site interview took about 2,5h and consisted of tech grilling and a chat with VP of Technology. After this there was one more Skype call with the hiring manager who mostly asked about previous experience and other high level stuff.

Interview Questions

- Initial contract was limited to 1 year.
    - Lower than expected compensation.

Web Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kayak.com in September 2011.

It was a very pleasant interview with a nice young lady who mostly asked me about my experience, but also asked me one difficult programming question. It was more math-based than really coding-based. She allowed me to talk aloud and work through a number of solutions and gave me feedback to help me reach a good solution.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most enjoyable class you took in college?   View Answer