Kelly & Associates Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kelly & Associates

QA Lead/Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kelly & Associates in September 2014.

The phone-screen was brief, as it was mainly to kick-off a technical assessment. This test included questions that had to be worked out using your choice of coding language, write a SQL query, and HTML code. It took about 45 minutes and was on collabedit so they could watch and answer questions.

My in-person interview latest about 3.5 hours. I meet with the current QA lead, the current Dev lead, and the CTO. All three seems to be good people, and smart. A few observations:
    Development drives conversations over QA.
    The business drives changes not development. This puts dev behind the 8 ball at times.
    They say they are Agile, but I feel they are missing key aspects of Agile. The devs work ahead so QA appears to be behind all the time. It didn't sound like they had a SM. Too many companies are using Agile to really say they are just not waterfall.
    The CTO doesn't have a technical background. I think that in-part causes him to micromanage, which he openly told me that he does for new people (I've heard the same comment for other sources not at the company).
    I didn't get to see much of the office; it looked like cubes, but open for better communication. However, I did hear they are moving in the coming weeks to a new building near their current location. +
    Tele-communicating is an option when it makes sense, like when you have apt and such, but not the norm. -
    Even though they are really an insurance company that is really a software company, they don't seem to be over-working the development team. +
    Overall I think it is an interesting place with some pros and cons, just like every company. I feel that they really need a different position for their needs.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were fairly straight-forward, however to test ones analytical thinking, they did ask a few logic questions. One of them being, if you had a book that you wanted to give to an employee, and you had 5 employees, and only a coin, heads and ties, to use to make the decision, which employee would get the book? And assume the employees are all the same skills/experience wise.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Kelly & Associates in March 2011.

I was interviewed for a BA position. The phone interview was regular screening type of interview and was pretty standard. Then I had a 1:1 with the one of the two big dogs. He pretty much wanted to know my salary range. Normally in larger corporations these are HR questions – but Kelly is a small family owned company – so the normal rules don’t apply.
    Then I had a Panel as well as individual interviews. I don’t remember all the details (I could not find Kelly And Associates Insurance Group last time on GD). I do remember, it was a very nontraditional interview and could have gone either way – everything was subjective. All the interviewee were of foreign nationals, which is perfectly fine by me –being one myself. I was just surprised, as the company is pretty small overall.
    Then I was rejected. Later I found two very junior people were hired. I think it is the pay-scale that drives the hiring. Wish they were upfront about it – would have made things clearer for me. At the time, I needed to be in that area.

Interview Questions

Worked for Kelly & Associates? Contribute to the Community!