Kennametal Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.5

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kennametal (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through university career center. Got in the interview with a sales manager and design manager. The process is relaxing, and there wasn't any difficult questions. Holding strong ethics is very important though

Interview Questions

• Just the standard behavioral questions such as what are you good at, what's your weakness   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kennametal in August 2014.

Interview

Several phone calls with HR department, a phone conference was set with Director Manufacturing, Asia & HR Business Partner.

Mostly experience and behavior based questions. No technical questions. The HR are highly unprofessional in Kennametal (CHINA), lots of personal questions like: "What's your parents thought of your career development?" or even "Is your education financially stressful for your family?"

It seems they are not ready for the rotational program. They don't even know what's the jobs will be during each of the location of the program.

Engineer - Product Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kennametal.

Interview

I handed in my resume at a job fair. A few months later HR called to set up an on site interview. I interviewed with an HR rep and my manager. A few days later I had a phone interview with my mangers boss. Within a few weeks, I had an offer.

Interview Questions

• My interviewers asked about my experience, knowledge, and extra curricular activities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a higher salary. Kennametal came back with an even more generous number. Never take the first number, they already made up their minds that they want you.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kennametal in July 2014.

Interview

Got a phone call 10 Mins after online application from HR in China, had an hour discussion about the job. Had another phone screen out of blue midnight with Manager Talent Acquisition in China for an hour, set a phone conference next day with HR partner and manufacturing director of Asia.

The HR department do not know there are different time zones in US and set the time of phone conference wrong, there was also a typo of my name in the Email Invitation.

The information given was inconsistent during the interview process, each person had different descriptions of the job. They were not sure about each position of the Rotational Program and the career track after the Program, It can be Manufacturing, Logistics, R&D, Management or anything.

The interview process include some behavior questions: strength and weakness; most impressive thing during your life etc,. and some personal questions about parents and family, which should not happen. No technical questions.

They were ambitious about their development and want to double (or triple?) their business in China. The manufacturing director want to educate me about career development at the end but he had no idea about mechanical fundamentals I talked about like: FEA, DOE, Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing.

Interview Questions

• What's your parents' jobs? Why your parents sent you oversea for education?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Latrobe, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Kennametal (Latrobe, PA).

Interview

Interview process started about 6 months after I applied for the job. I was sent an email that asked for my availability, and that some one would be in touch. After a couple weeks of that date coming and going, I then received a call from the hiring manager out of the blue. She began asking me questions about my experience, and then at the end of the call indicated that the job description had changed. I was then asked to come in meet with a couple individuals, when I asked what the new job description was not one person could give me an answer, and the individuals I was "interviewing" with were not only not helpful, but I'm not sure were the right individuals for me to meet with, as they have no idea what they were interviewing me for. All in all it was a very unprofessional interview process, I was referred to the job by a current employee, and indicated to him that if this was any indication on how the company operated I would not be a good fit. I later received a notification that I was not the right candidate for the job because the the description had changed again.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult, unexpected question was really just getting a call out of the blue, unscheduled from the hiring manager.   Answer Question

Maintenance Electrician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kennametal.

Interview

Pertinent questions were asked. How do you calibrate a thermocouple? What do you do when a conveyor slows down and you are using a 3 phase motor in the Y configuration? Would you adjust the frequency drive? What have you done to overcome adversity at your last job? Can you weld?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, the offer was fair and I like the environment. I like dealing with a straight shooter. I hate working for a weasel, So I like this place.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kennametal (Fort Mill, SC) in February 2014.

Interview

I had a family friend hand my resume to management. I received a phone interview within 2 days. An in person interview was scheduled within a day of the phone interview. The interview itself was relatively easy and no questions asked caught me off guard.

Interview Questions

• This was a very straight forward interview. I can honestly say I did not run into any questions that caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Interview

Called back by the HR manager, 1 hour on-site interview with the hiring manager and a senior position staff. Mostly went over resume.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kennametal.

Interview

First there was a telephone screen interview, then face to face panel interview with three Supervisors, called within hours to be hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kennametal.

Interview

Firstly, interviewers let me introduce myself and talk about the position and the company. Then they asked me to answer several behavior questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to do when you have conflict with your partner?   Answer Question