Key Food

1.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Key Food

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maspeth, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Key Food.

There was no interview at all, but the process of actually getting hired is a bit skewed. You absolutely NEED to know someone who already works there, or else you're not getting the job, and you MUST wait for them to ask if the workers know anyone who needs a job. You cannot just ask your friend to get you the job whenever—there are very specific opportunities to do so.

Once the managers are ready to hire someone new and they are considering you via friend suggestion, you have to wait for your friend's shift to end and then you go into the store with them. They'll take you to the front, introduce you to one of the managers, and then you fill out a VERY basic application. It just asks you for your name, address, phone number, and what days/holidays you're available to work. No drug test, no background check, nothing. Proof of address and identity (such as social security) are only asked for just before your first paycheck, and they don't even require the actual documentation. You can just write it down or tell them over the phone and they'll be satisfied.

After you give in your application, you'll be told to expect a phone call within that week to schedule you for unpaid training, which just involves you standing at someone else's register (usually the busiest one in the store) for 4 days, being taught the button combinations on the register, and being told produce codes. There isn't an actual print out of code sheets so you'll have to take photos of them on your phone if you have it on you if you want to memorize them that way. The training feels more like free labor.

During the 4 days, you are expected to come in about an hour after the afternoon shift starts, and you can leave anywhere from 1 to 2 hours before it ends depending on how the managers are feeling that day. On the last day, you are to stay until the end of the shift (9pm) and learn the closing process—bringing carts/baskets, closing shades, and fixing the bread and meat aisles.

After the training, you are called on Saturday to confirm your availability (this is the day that the schedule is planning out) and then the schedule is finalized on Sunday. You can either call and ask what you days you're working, but I really recommend getting a friend or coworker to send you a picture of it so you can see what days everyone else is working. This is really helpful for when you can't work and need someone to cover for you.

Interview Questions
  • The only question was "What days are you available?" as there is no actual interviewing process.   Answer Question
After training for 4 days, you're just asked to confirm days you're available to work and you are given your schedule usually the following day.

Other Interview Reviews for Key Food

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Key Food in January 2013.

The interviewing process wasn't really all that difficult. For the First interview it was just the basics : "Tell me about a time when..." and "How would you handle this situation". I got called back for a second interview, but they told me the position was filled and offered me another position instead which was great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Key Food in March 2012.

No interview required for this job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maspeth, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Key Food in February 2009.

My friend previously worked at this location and mentioned how he was still friendly with the manager. I went in one day with my friend and he spoke to the manager, pretty much informing him that I needed a job and that I was good. I then spoke with the manager myself and he simply asked what my availability was and told me I could come in for training that weekend. Easy.

No possible negotiation.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Key Food in June 2008.

Because I had a friend working there, she told me to speak with the manager. At first, she brushed me off and told me to wait for a call. When i spoke with my friend again, she told me to speak with the manager again. And I got the job right there and then.