Keyence

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.3

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

The Keyence interview process is quite different than anything else out there. Here is what to expect:

1. Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test: This test is checking for an extremely basic understanding of physics. If you have any sort of science or engineering background, this test will be insulting to your intelligence.

2. Phone Screen: A Keyence HR rep will contact you for a phone screening. This is NOT an interview because the HR rep won't respond to what you say. This is a 10-20 minute screening to see if you are capable of expressing yourself and answering simple interview questions.

3. HireVue Webcam Interview: You will be asked some pretty typical interview questions like "Tell us about a time you tried something new and failed", "What is something you have advocated for", etc. You are given the question, then given 30 seconds to prepare, and you then have 3 minutes to answer the question. This part can be very difficult because you need to have the enthusiasm and presentation you normally would in an interview but you're talking to yourself. Wear your interview clothes for this!

4. Caliper Sales Assessment: This is a "sales personality" test. There are questions such as "choose the two statements that you most and least align with" followed by 4 seemingly unrelated statements. Pattern identification questions with picture and number patterns. And lastly questions with one statement like "I will stop whatever I'm doing to help someone in need" and you have to answer either strongly agree, mostly agree, agree, disagree, etc.

My best advice for this test is don't try to "beat" it. Answer truthfully and consistently. While your typical personality tests are pretty terrible, the Caliper is actually very accurate (research the test to find out about this).

IMPORTANT NOTE

At this point, you'll probably be feeling like the Keyence interview process is overall very impersonal and pretty stupid. Now that I've been through the whole thing, I understand why they do things this way. Keyence gets literally thousands of applicants a month and they need to automatically weed people out. So, the Mechanical test weeds out people who have no understanding of the world around them. The phone screen weeds out people with no interview skills. The HireVue and Caliper test together weed out people with bad presentation skills and traits that don't lead to good salespeople. Also, your HireVue and Caliper scores are posted internally and you can be considered by different hiring managers all over the country, not just one location. This doesn't make the process any better for you, the interviewee, but that's why they do things this way.

5. Final Interview: I've heard different things about the final interview, but I'll only speak to my experience. The final interview is in person with all of the hiring managers that are interested in you. The interview was split up into 3 parts: Basic interview questions and get-to-know-you kind of stuff, a product sales presentation, and a sales role play. Here's my advice: prepare, prepare, prepare.

When you schedule your final interview, you will be given a Keyence product that you have to present in a 5 minute sales presentation during your interview. You are given all the product information days ahead of time so again, prepare, prepare, prepare.

Lastly, before my interview I was given a "sales role play scenario" which I was able to read and think about for 15-20 minutes before my interview started. If you do your research (i.e. talk to your recruiter, read glassdoor reviews, read indeed reviews, etc) you'll know what to expect here. Most of the time, the role play is some sort of "sell me this pen" type scenario.

My scenario was that I was trying to sell Keyence a pen which costs 20 cents and they are currently using one that costs 10. Again, being prepared for this is very important (noticing a pattern here?). Keyence sells their products on value, not price. So in your role play it is VERY important to not drop the price of your pen and get nothing in return for it. By the end of the role play I had set up an exclusivity deal to be their office product supplier (not just pens) for the next 2 years with an initial $10,000 paper purchase order for the entire company, in trade for selling them my high quality pens @ 15 cents a pen as well as throwing in an extra 100 pens per 1000 to cover lost pens.

Lastly, it is VERY important that you try to close them in your interview.

I hope this long interview explanation provides some insight into why Keyence does things this way as well as helps your prepare for the various aspects of the interview. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • "When you leave this interview, how do you want us to remember you?"   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. Everyone gets the same offer (based on location) and it is so good that you won't need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

1. Third party interview. Very nice guy. Asks basic questions. Personality/why sales/basic lifestyle
    2. Online Application and questionnaire on their website
    3. HR rep phone interview. Very basic. Know why you want the position and your resume. Be prepared to explain why sales and how your experience fits.
    4. Physics/math/engineering aptitude test. I have zero experience in school with this and feel like it was very easy. Just take your time and look up some basic physics laws
    5. Hirevue webcam interview. Very cool/awkward experience. A prerecorded guy asks 6 questions and you have 30 seconds to think and 3 minutes to answer. They allow unlimited practice questions. Do them. Makes the actual interview much easier and comfortable. Know why you are a fit for this position. A time you advocated and fought for something. How your experience fits this position. Very basic questions.
    6. Personality assessment. 100 questions with some puzzles that are not easy and probably what ended up as my demise.
    7. The final step I did not get was they fly you out and do an in person and from what I understand have you do a sales pitch as well as knowledge of a product.

Overall I thought everyone was nice and good communication. I was disappointed that I did not get a chance to meet them and really show my skills and got no reason as to what ended my consideration. Just a typical sorry email to end it. Be prepared. Do your homework and practice before everything. Good experience although not pleased with the final outcome obviously.

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience directly for with this position?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you fought for something that may have been unpopular with management   Answer Question
    • Tell one thing they should know about you and why. (Skill/personality/etc.)   Answer Question

Technical Sales Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Keyence.

Applied online and got a followup email the next day. The email asked for some available times to conduct a phone interview, and after a time was agreed upon, I did receive a call. however it was not the same person who set up the interview, it was a lady who said the gentleman who was supposed to interview me was unavailable. This didn't really bother me but she sounded very disconnected after she learned my GPA. I am a recent graduate from an engineering school and my GPA isn't the greatest but its not horrible. If GPA is really all they care about they should express a minimum GPA requirement in the job description.

Interview Questions
    • Name three qualities or skills every good sales person has.   Answer Question

Technical Sales Engineer Interview

HireVue is speed-dating for Companies. In spite of not being hired, I was impressed (and entertained) by the process. The thing to remember is this: the fact that many of the "correct" answers (and they pretty much are correct) are readily available on Youtube, tells you that it's not so much what you say that counts. Like Speed-dating, it's more about your looks/mannerisms/communication style, and that the managers pretty much can tell within 20 secs whether to take you to the next step. While this has been criticized as heartless, I have to respect its efficiency and it saves everyone a lot of time and money. For remote sales positions this is gold for corporations.
    Immediately after I was given a personality profile test which I think sank my chances - I was not sorry as I do not think I would have been a comfortable fit. The process worked as planned in my case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Ramon, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence in December 2014.

basically there were a couple of steps towards the interview process at keyence:

1) I had to first take an online engineering comprehension test, very easy and very basic questions that test a high-school level of physics and a basic phone interview which asks more hr questions than an actual interview

2) I then had to take a personality battery which involved some puzzle questions, not hard either

3) then I had to do an online hireview interview, this is where they ask you a pre recorded video question and you have to make a video response back to them. Basically they asked very standard behavioral questions like "tell us about a time that you had to advocate a position for something" or "tell us about a time when you had to convince somebody to do something", questions like that.

4) then after all that they decided to fly me out. The guy at the interview asked me a series of behavioral questions but this is where I was getting displeased, he was trying to rush the interview which did not make me happy. Typically you are supposed to do a technical presentation and then do a sales pitch but he combined them and was trying to rush me throughout the entire process. Overall I had a bad experience interviewing with them because if a company is going to fly you out for an interview and spend all that money to do so, then why are they going to rush you during the entire interview. I mean from the moment I stepped in the door, the interviewer didn't seem very interested in me at all. also from the reviews I've been reading it doesn't seem like a great company to work for either, as it seems like all of their sales people burn out after 2 years anyways. Otherwise, I feel like the interview process was excessively long, drawn out, frustrating and then rushed at the final interview. Other companies that I have interviewed for like texas instruments and national instruments gave me about 4-6 interview each before making a decision. I literally had one person to person interview with keyence which makes me question their management style.

Interview Questions
    • I thought the technical product presentation was the most difficult aspect of this interview, same with the sales pitch, although they combined them for me (as explained above)   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter and then received a basic knowledge test that was fairly straightforward. After passing the test was prompted to complete a video interview through a online source. Was simple if prepared. Heard back a few weeks later that they had decided to move forward with other candidates.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Keyence in October 2014.

Sent resume in online with a head hunter. Got an email back to complete a mechanical aptitude test. Was easy high school level physics. An example asking does water boil quicker at higher evaluation. After that I was screened by an HR person to see if I was actually what they are looking for. Then I did a recorded pc based interview and a personality test. Heard back a week after to meet the regional manager gave to face. I had to give a product demo, sell them a pen that's doubles the price of their current pen and also just basic interview questions. I heard back two week laters with an offer. The company seems very grandparents and has a fantastic offering of salary and benefits.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much negotiating. They have a high base salary for a sales position.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Keyence in October 2014.

Mechanical Aptitude test followed by HireView interview where you have 30 seconds to think of your answer to the question before they begin recording in a skype like simulation.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had an idea that might be unpleasing to a superior and how did you get it across.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter. I was asked to take a mechanical assessment, an online recorded skype "Hirevue" interview, a Caliper test, and then was contacted and flown to site for an interviewed

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

First Step :Mechanical assessment Test.
    For anybody that wants to prepare ahead of time the Test is :
    Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test - Form S
    Second Step: Preliminary Interview.

Kind of a rude interview.Answers need to be straightforward fashion
    Feels more like an interrogation than an interview

Questions asked:
    Industry/ or Technologies you interested in?
    Interviewer gives few words and you have to select one
    Pick one that mostly fit criteria.
    Compensation,customer service, Problem solving...
    Rate location your location preferences and rate on scale 1-10.
    GPA

I Found the attitude of the interviewer to be very rude.

Interview Questions
    • All of them.
      have an answer for Industry/ or Technologies you interested in?

Answer Question