Keyence Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.2

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

Took a quick basic physics test. Did phone interview. Did personality test. Skype interview. Phone and Skype interviews were very dry and straight forward. Not really interested in interacting with you. More or less just want you to answer the question quickly and move on.

Interview Questions

• Why Sales? 3 most important traits to be successful in sales? Asked about background.   Answer Question

Technical Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence.

Interview

The following is the interview process. If you are working with a recruiter all the steps will be carefully explained and detailed: 1. Aptitude Test 2. Phone Interview 3. Hirevue Interview 4. Personality Test 5. In Person Interview Prepare for all steps.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you will be successful where do you see yourself in 3-5 years   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Keyence.

Interview

The first stage was a Mechanical Aptitude Test, Video Interview followed by a Personality Test. These Mechanical Test was little challenging due to time constraints. The Video Interview consisted of pre-recorded questions that you had a certain amount of time to think about how you would answer. The respones are time limited and recorded on the webcam on your computer.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence (Jersey City, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview has multiple parts, is time consuming, and and overall long process (on the order of months). The first stage consists of formally applying online, followed by an engineering aptitude test. If you score high enough, the next phase is a phone interview. If that goes well, you will be asked to do a video interview in which you pre record responses to questions, which are then sent to hiring managers (no dialogue with a real human). After the video interview, you must take a personality to test to ensure you have a sales mindset. Finally, you will be called into their office for a face to face interview. I did not make it past the video interview. I found the entire process to be extremely convoluted and drawn out. I worked with a recruiter, and had to study and heavily prepare for each stage of the process, almost like putting on an act. This was an entry level sales position, and the amount of work, just to be considered, is absurd. If you do decide to go for it, give everything 100% and painstakingly prepare for that video interview. Good luck.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence.

Interview

Lasted about two weeks, impersonal video recorded interview. There was an initial phone screening where someone asked basic questions. There was also a physics assessment and a personality assessment.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Keyence (Detroit, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

All done online, no interaction with anyone from Keyence. Submitted resume to a recruiter, had to complete an entry level technical assessment, then did a web based interview where I recorded my answers for them to review, then I had to take an online personality test, I was disqualified after this step

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence in July 2015.

Interview

Disorganized interview process. Wastes their and candidate's time. Thinks their time is more important than anyone else's. It must be one of the great companies to work for but I felt they don't treat their applicants right.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence.

Interview

The Keyence interview process is quite different than anything else out there. Here is what to expect: 1. Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test: This test is checking for an extremely basic understanding of physics. If you have any sort of science or engineering background, this test will be insulting to your intelligence. 2. Phone Screen: A Keyence HR rep will contact you for a phone screening. This is NOT an interview because the HR rep won't respond to what you say. This is a 10-20 minute screening to see if you are capable of expressing yourself and answering simple interview questions. 3. HireVue Webcam Interview: You will be asked some pretty typical interview questions like "Tell us about a time you tried something new and failed", "What is something you have advocated for", etc. You are given the question, then given 30 seconds to prepare, and you then have 3 minutes to answer the question. This part can be very difficult because you need to have the enthusiasm and presentation you normally would in an interview but you're talking to yourself. Wear your interview clothes for this! 4. Caliper Sales Assessment: This is a "sales personality" test. There are questions such as "choose the two statements that you most and least align with" followed by 4 seemingly unrelated statements. Pattern identification questions with picture and number patterns. And lastly questions with one statement like "I will stop whatever I'm doing to help someone in need" and you have to answer either strongly agree, mostly agree, agree, disagree, etc. My best advice for this test is don't try to "beat" it. Answer truthfully and consistently. While your typical personality tests are pretty terrible, the Caliper is actually very accurate (research the test to find out about this). IMPORTANT NOTE At this point, you'll probably be feeling like the Keyence interview process is overall very impersonal and pretty stupid. Now that I've been through the whole thing, I understand why they do things this way. Keyence gets literally thousands of applicants a month and they need to automatically weed people out. So, the Mechanical test weeds out people who have no understanding of the world around them. The phone screen weeds out people with no interview skills. The HireVue and Caliper test together weed out people with bad presentation skills and traits that don't lead to good salespeople. Also, your HireVue and Caliper scores are posted internally and you can be considered by different hiring managers all over the country, not just one location. This doesn't make the process any better for you, the interviewee, but that's why they do things this way. 5. Final Interview: I've heard different things about the final interview, but I'll only speak to my experience. The final interview is in person with all of the hiring managers that are interested in you. The interview was split up into 3 parts: Basic interview questions and get-to-know-you kind of stuff, a product sales presentation, and a sales role play. Here's my advice: prepare, prepare, prepare. When you schedule your final interview, you will be given a Keyence product that you have to present in a 5 minute sales presentation during your interview. You are given all the product information days ahead of time so again, prepare, prepare, prepare. Lastly, before my interview I was given a "sales role play scenario" which I was able to read and think about for 15-20 minutes before my interview started. If you do your research (i.e. talk to your recruiter, read glassdoor reviews, read indeed reviews, etc) you'll know what to expect here. Most of the time, the role play is some sort of "sell me this pen" type scenario. My scenario was that I was trying to sell Keyence a pen which costs 20 cents and they are currently using one that costs 10. Again, being prepared for this is very important (noticing a pattern here?). Keyence sells their products on value, not price. So in your role play it is VERY important to not drop the price of your pen and get nothing in return for it. By the end of the role play I had set up an exclusivity deal to be their office product supplier (not just pens) for the next 2 years with an initial $10,000 paper purchase order for the entire company, in trade for selling them my high quality pens @ 15 cents a pen as well as throwing in an extra 100 pens per 1000 to cover lost pens. Lastly, it is VERY important that you try to close them in your interview. I hope this long interview explanation provides some insight into why Keyence does things this way as well as helps your prepare for the various aspects of the interview. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• "When you leave this interview, how do you want us to remember you?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Everyone gets the same offer (based on location) and it is so good that you won't need to negotiate.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

4 parts of the process or should I say filters to weed out candidates. The first one was a Bennet test. That's for filtering out non-technical candidates. It tests basic concepts of physics. Review gears and pulleys. Also a bit of fluid and basic circuitry. No calculator required. The next step is the phone screening. They asked about background, why sales and why would you fit and what kind of jobs are you looking for in your job search. They filter here people that are either awkward on the phone or do not have the "skill" to do cold calling. The next step is the Hirevue web "interview". Asked stuff like why would you fit in sales and the questions below. They filter candidates here that do not know interview etiquette and do not show confidence or interviewing skill. The next step is the Caliper Personality test. They know what they want. They want a salesman kind of personality. And the final step is the on site interview. Here they ask you for a product demo, more behavioral questions and how would you act on a sale by doing a sale pitch with a pen or whatever they give you. Do all that and you might get a shot. Got to give it to them, they know what guy they want and at least with me they have been quick on the response and the step procedure.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself in 5 years. What are your career goals? How did you worked around a difficulty in your career? What is your background and why do you think sales is a good fit? Name your 3 preferred working locations and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Keyence (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I had responded to a job posting on Linkedin by a recruiter and was called the next day. He quickly qualified that I was fit for the job, and explained a bit more about the company. After I said I was interested in the job he explained the interview process including a very basic mechanical aptitude test, followed by a prerecorded online interview, and a personality test. If you pass these they will fly you to Chicago for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What is one obstacle you have had to face and how did you overcome it? Why are you a good fit for Keyence? Tell me about a time you had to do something you did not want to do, and how did you motivate yourself to do it.   Answer Question