Keyence Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

3.3

Technical Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

After applying, you have to take an online assessment. If you do well, which you should, you will be asked to schedule a phone interview. If you make it past the phone interview, you then have an online Skype interview. Following that is another online assessment and face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you think technical sales is a career you will excel at?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

The Keyence interview process is quite different than anything else out there. Here is what to expect:

1. Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test: This test is checking for an extremely basic understanding of physics. If you have any sort of science or engineering background, this test will be insulting to your intelligence.

2. Phone Screen: A Keyence HR rep will contact you for a phone screening. This is NOT an interview because the HR rep won't respond to what you say. This is a 10-20 minute screening to see if you are capable of expressing yourself and answering simple interview questions.

3. HireVue Webcam Interview: You will be asked some pretty typical interview questions like "Tell us about a time you tried something new and failed", "What is something you have advocated for", etc. You are given the question, then given 30 seconds to prepare, and you then have 3 minutes to answer the question. This part can be very difficult because you need to have the enthusiasm and presentation you normally would in an interview but you're talking to yourself. Wear your interview clothes for this!

4. Caliper Sales Assessment: This is a "sales personality" test. There are questions such as "choose the two statements that you most and least align with" followed by 4 seemingly unrelated statements. Pattern identification questions with picture and number patterns. And lastly questions with one statement like "I will stop whatever I'm doing to help someone in need" and you have to answer either strongly agree, mostly agree, agree, disagree, etc.

My best advice for this test is don't try to "beat" it. Answer truthfully and consistently. While your typical personality tests are pretty terrible, the Caliper is actually very accurate (research the test to find out about this).

IMPORTANT NOTE

At this point, you'll probably be feeling like the Keyence interview process is overall very impersonal and pretty stupid. Now that I've been through the whole thing, I understand why they do things this way. Keyence gets literally thousands of applicants a month and they need to automatically weed people out. So, the Mechanical test weeds out people who have no understanding of the world around them. The phone screen weeds out people with no interview skills. The HireVue and Caliper test together weed out people with bad presentation skills and traits that don't lead to good salespeople. Also, your HireVue and Caliper scores are posted internally and you can be considered by different hiring managers all over the country, not just one location. This doesn't make the process any better for you, the interviewee, but that's why they do things this way.

5. Final Interview: I've heard different things about the final interview, but I'll only speak to my experience. The final interview is in person with all of the hiring managers that are interested in you. The interview was split up into 3 parts: Basic interview questions and get-to-know-you kind of stuff, a product sales presentation, and a sales role play. Here's my advice: prepare, prepare, prepare.

When you schedule your final interview, you will be given a Keyence product that you have to present in a 5 minute sales presentation during your interview. You are given all the product information days ahead of time so again, prepare, prepare, prepare.

Lastly, before my interview I was given a "sales role play scenario" which I was able to read and think about for 15-20 minutes before my interview started. If you do your research (i.e. talk to your recruiter, read glassdoor reviews, read indeed reviews, etc) you'll know what to expect here. Most of the time, the role play is some sort of "sell me this pen" type scenario.

My scenario was that I was trying to sell Keyence a pen which costs 20 cents and they are currently using one that costs 10. Again, being prepared for this is very important (noticing a pattern here?). Keyence sells their products on value, not price. So in your role play it is VERY important to not drop the price of your pen and get nothing in return for it. By the end of the role play I had set up an exclusivity deal to be their office product supplier (not just pens) for the next 2 years with an initial $10,000 paper purchase order for the entire company, in trade for selling them my high quality pens @ 15 cents a pen as well as throwing in an extra 100 pens per 1000 to cover lost pens.

Lastly, it is VERY important that you try to close them in your interview.

I hope this long interview explanation provides some insight into why Keyence does things this way as well as helps your prepare for the various aspects of the interview. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • "When you leave this interview, how do you want us to remember you?"   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. Everyone gets the same offer (based on location) and it is so good that you won't need to negotiate.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

1.Recruiter
    2. Bennett test
    3. Hirevue
    4. Now you will move on to take a Caliper assessment test that analyzes your personality, skills, and problem solving abilities . I found this to be a bit difficult and suggest you find a way to prepare for it.

Interview Questions
    • There are 6 hirevue questions. This is the video segment of the interview. These are some of the questions I received. 1. What would you like us to remember about you after this interview (skill/trait)? 2. Tell us about a time you advocated for something 3. Tell us about a time you had to motivate yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

The hiring process is very to the point. This is a company that knows exactly what they're looking for. Start off with a basic physics test that you take online. Then you go ahead and do an online interview, and personality assessment. When that is all set and done and if you are selected to go to the next process you do an in person interview and you have to sell them one of their products. Great interview process.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process can take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month.   Answer Question

Technical Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence in February 2015.

I was contacted my a third party vendor and was told that I was a good match for the position. The hiring team was outsourced. After a phone interview I was told to fill out the application on Keyence's site. After that I waited until they sent me an online test to take. It was the Bennett Mechanical Aptitude Test, the entire process was very positive and they were very kind.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part was preparing and taking the Bennett Mechanical Aptitude test.   Answer Question

Human Resource Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Keyence in February 2015.

The Interview process was very extensive and thorough. It consisted of an online Application, Caliper assessment test that analyzes your personality, skills, and problem solving abilities, Hirevue (pre-recorded interview, 30 seconds to answer after question is asked...dress business professional for this portion!, an HR specialist test (Word/Excel), and face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • The Hirevue questions were Behavioral based questions. For the face to face interview I felt the questions were screening questions. Having passed all the steps through the process I was taken a back that I was asked very general questions. I felt that I had to really answer questions in a way that I was trying for them to get to know who I was and what I would bring to the table not generalities about my CV. I have to say there was a Senior Human Resource Manager and a Human Resource Business Partner conducting the interview and I was impressed with the person who would have been my potential colleague. She was bright, asked/answered well, and was confident. I was really thrilled with the position before the face-to face interview at the point where I began to interview the company to make sure that it was a great fit for me and well I wasn't impressed with their answers my interest dropped dramatically.
      Overall, Keyence has left a good impression. Everyone was polite, and available through the process. I received responses in a timely manner, their Interview process is thorough, and I'm sure for those aligned with the company's culture can find many benefits in the organization!
       I do question if they should reassess why they go through that specific process in the order that they do and maybe add a phone screen to answer Resume questions before a face-to-face interview.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

1. Third party interview. Very nice guy. Asks basic questions. Personality/why sales/basic lifestyle
    2. Online Application and questionnaire on their website
    3. HR rep phone interview. Very basic. Know why you want the position and your resume. Be prepared to explain why sales and how your experience fits.
    4. Physics/math/engineering aptitude test. I have zero experience in school with this and feel like it was very easy. Just take your time and look up some basic physics laws
    5. Hirevue webcam interview. Very cool/awkward experience. A prerecorded guy asks 6 questions and you have 30 seconds to think and 3 minutes to answer. They allow unlimited practice questions. Do them. Makes the actual interview much easier and comfortable. Know why you are a fit for this position. A time you advocated and fought for something. How your experience fits this position. Very basic questions.
    6. Personality assessment. 100 questions with some puzzles that are not easy and probably what ended up as my demise.
    7. The final step I did not get was they fly you out and do an in person and from what I understand have you do a sales pitch as well as knowledge of a product.

Overall I thought everyone was nice and good communication. I was disappointed that I did not get a chance to meet them and really show my skills and got no reason as to what ended my consideration. Just a typical sorry email to end it. Be prepared. Do your homework and practice before everything. Good experience although not pleased with the final outcome obviously.

Interview Questions
    • How does your experience directly for with this position?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you fought for something that may have been unpopular with management   Answer Question
    • Tell one thing they should know about you and why. (Skill/personality/etc.)   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Keyence in January 2015.

I made it through the mechanical comprehension test, the personality assessment, and the video interview--I was invited to the final interview and asked for my travel plans. I submitted immediately, and never got a reply. i replied twice when my previous weeks' travel plans expired, and then got a quick phone call--never mind. They never gave a reason either.

Technical Sales Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Keyence.

Applied online and got a followup email the next day. The email asked for some available times to conduct a phone interview, and after a time was agreed upon, I did receive a call. however it was not the same person who set up the interview, it was a lady who said the gentleman who was supposed to interview me was unavailable. This didn't really bother me but she sounded very disconnected after she learned my GPA. I am a recent graduate from an engineering school and my GPA isn't the greatest but its not horrible. If GPA is really all they care about they should express a minimum GPA requirement in the job description.

Interview Questions
    • Name three qualities or skills every good sales person has.   Answer Question

Technical Sales Engineer Interview

HireVue is speed-dating for Companies. In spite of not being hired, I was impressed (and entertained) by the process. The thing to remember is this: the fact that many of the "correct" answers (and they pretty much are correct) are readily available on Youtube, tells you that it's not so much what you say that counts. Like Speed-dating, it's more about your looks/mannerisms/communication style, and that the managers pretty much can tell within 20 secs whether to take you to the next step. While this has been criticized as heartless, I have to respect its efficiency and it saves everyone a lot of time and money. For remote sales positions this is gold for corporations.
    Immediately after I was given a personality profile test which I think sank my chances - I was not sorry as I do not think I would have been a comfortable fit. The process worked as planned in my case.