Keyence Sales Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 2, 2015

3.2

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Keyence.

Interview

The first stage was a Mechanical Aptitude Test, Video Interview followed by a Personality Test. These Mechanical Test was little challenging due to time constraints. The Video Interview consisted of pre-recorded questions that you had a certain amount of time to think about how you would answer. The respones are time limited and recorded on the webcam on your computer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Keyence

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

Interview

The Keyence interview process is quite different than anything else out there. Here is what to expect: 1. Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test: This test is checking for an extremely basic understanding of physics. If you have any sort of science or engineering background, this test will be insulting to your intelligence. 2. Phone Screen: A Keyence HR rep will contact you for a phone screening. This is NOT an interview because the HR rep won't respond to what you say. This is a 10-20 minute screening to see if you are capable of expressing yourself and answering simple interview questions. 3. HireVue Webcam Interview: You will be asked some pretty typical interview questions like "Tell us about a time you tried something new and failed", "What is something you have advocated for", etc. You are given the question, then given 30 seconds to prepare, and you then have 3 minutes to answer the question. This part can be very difficult because you need to have the enthusiasm and presentation you normally would in an interview but you're talking to yourself. Wear your interview clothes for this! 4. Caliper Sales Assessment: This is a "sales personality" test. There are questions such as "choose the two statements that you most and least align with" followed by 4 seemingly unrelated statements. Pattern identification questions with picture and number patterns. And lastly questions with one statement like "I will stop whatever I'm doing to help someone in need" and you have to answer either strongly agree, mostly agree, agree, disagree, etc. My best advice for this test is don't try to "beat" it. Answer truthfully and consistently. While your typical personality tests are pretty terrible, the Caliper is actually very accurate (research the test to find out about this). IMPORTANT NOTE At this point, you'll probably be feeling like the Keyence interview process is overall very impersonal and pretty stupid. Now that I've been through the whole thing, I understand why they do things this way. Keyence gets literally thousands of applicants a month and they need to automatically weed people out. So, the Mechanical test weeds out people who have no understanding of the world around them. The phone screen weeds out people with no interview skills. The HireVue and Caliper test together weed out people with bad presentation skills and traits that don't lead to good salespeople. Also, your HireVue and Caliper scores are posted internally and you can be considered by different hiring managers all over the country, not just one location. This doesn't make the process any better for you, the interviewee, but that's why they do things this way. 5. Final Interview: I've heard different things about the final interview, but I'll only speak to my experience. The final interview is in person with all of the hiring managers that are interested in you. The interview was split up into 3 parts: Basic interview questions and get-to-know-you kind of stuff, a product sales presentation, and a sales role play. Here's my advice: prepare, prepare, prepare. When you schedule your final interview, you will be given a Keyence product that you have to present in a 5 minute sales presentation during your interview. You are given all the product information days ahead of time so again, prepare, prepare, prepare. Lastly, before my interview I was given a "sales role play scenario" which I was able to read and think about for 15-20 minutes before my interview started. If you do your research (i.e. talk to your recruiter, read glassdoor reviews, read indeed reviews, etc) you'll know what to expect here. Most of the time, the role play is some sort of "sell me this pen" type scenario. My scenario was that I was trying to sell Keyence a pen which costs 20 cents and they are currently using one that costs 10. Again, being prepared for this is very important (noticing a pattern here?). Keyence sells their products on value, not price. So in your role play it is VERY important to not drop the price of your pen and get nothing in return for it. By the end of the role play I had set up an exclusivity deal to be their office product supplier (not just pens) for the next 2 years with an initial $10,000 paper purchase order for the entire company, in trade for selling them my high quality pens @ 15 cents a pen as well as throwing in an extra 100 pens per 1000 to cover lost pens. Lastly, it is VERY important that you try to close them in your interview. I hope this long interview explanation provides some insight into why Keyence does things this way as well as helps your prepare for the various aspects of the interview. Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• "When you leave this interview, how do you want us to remember you?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Everyone gets the same offer (based on location) and it is so good that you won't need to negotiate.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process is straight forward, there is a mechanical aptitude test and personality test involved and a pre recorded online interview. If you make it through these stages, you should get a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you promoted something you felt strongly about.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Keyence.

Interview

1.Recruiter 2. Bennett test 3. Hirevue 4. Now you will move on to take a Caliper assessment test that analyzes your personality, skills, and problem solving abilities . I found this to be a bit difficult and suggest you find a way to prepare for it.

Interview Questions

• There are 6 hirevue questions. This is the video segment of the interview. These are some of the questions I received. 1. What would you like us to remember about you after this interview (skill/trait)? 2. Tell us about a time you advocated for something 3. Tell us about a time you had to motivate yourself.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

The hiring process is very to the point. This is a company that knows exactly what they're looking for. Start off with a basic physics test that you take online. Then you go ahead and do an online interview, and personality assessment. When that is all set and done and if you are selected to go to the next process you do an in person interview and you have to sell them one of their products. Great interview process.

Interview Questions

• The interview process can take anywhere from 1 week to 1 month.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Keyence in January 2015.

Interview

I made it through the mechanical comprehension test, the personality assessment, and the video interview--I was invited to the final interview and asked for my travel plans. I submitted immediately, and never got a reply. i replied twice when my previous weeks' travel plans expired, and then got a quick phone call--never mind. They never gave a reason either.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Keyence in November 2014.

Interview

My interview process was 5 steps. Process was stretched over 6 months. 1. Basic, high school level physics test. Very easy. 2. Phone screening: HR rep will want to go over your resume and gives you 6 different factors in which you are asked to pick which one you are motivated by the most. They will also ask for your top 3 preferred locations in which you would like to work. 3. I've seen steps 3 and 4 in different order, however my 3rd step was the HireVue virtual interview. Basic situational questions. This is the step in which several candidates are dismissed due to not being able to respond to the questions confidently. Wear a suit for this and do not read off responses that you have written during the 30 second thinking period. 4. Caliper Assessment: Remember that management style at this company is very Japanese-oriented. Answer how you would if you were a very non-emotional person and did not care about being verbally scolded in front of your colleagues. 5. I was asked to give the HR rep dates of availability to be flown out to Chicago for my final in-person interview. My Schedule was messy at the time due to midterms so they had told me they would put it off until after I had finished my midterms. One month went by and I had contacted them 4 times before I finally got a response. The HR rep told me that I was still candidate for the position and that she would get back to me within a few days to schedule my in-person interview. I was contacted by the HR rep the following Monday and she had scheduled my interview for that Thursday. I was very confused because after reading several of these reviews, I knew how prepared I needed to be and 2 days was not going to be enough time. I agreed with the date because I was sick of waiting. 20 minutes after the HR rep scheduled the interview with me they called me again to cancel and let me know that I was not being considered for the position anymore. DO NOT LET THIS COMPANY DRAG YOU ALONG UNTIL THE END. Make sure to have other potential prospects. 5.

Sales Engineer Interview

Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter and then received a basic knowledge test that was fairly straightforward. After passing the test was prompted to complete a video interview through a online source. Was simple if prepared. Heard back a few weeks later that they had decided to move forward with other candidates.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Keyence in October 2014.

Interview

Sent resume in online with a head hunter. Got an email back to complete a mechanical aptitude test. Was easy high school level physics. An example asking does water boil quicker at higher evaluation. After that I was screened by an HR person to see if I was actually what they are looking for. Then I did a recorded pc based interview and a personality test. Heard back a week after to meet the regional manager gave to face. I had to give a product demo, sell them a pen that's doubles the price of their current pen and also just basic interview questions. I heard back two week laters with an offer. The company seems very grandparents and has a fantastic offering of salary and benefits.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiating. They have a high base salary for a sales position.

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Keyence in October 2014.

Interview

Mechanical Aptitude test followed by HireView interview where you have 30 seconds to think of your answer to the question before they begin recording in a skype like simulation.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had an idea that might be unpleasing to a superior and how did you get it across.   Answer Question