Kiehl's

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Floor Supervisor Interview

Floor Supervisor

I applied online and interviewed at Kiehl's.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a phone call a few days later. I arrived early for the interview with the manager. The interview was 1 1/2 hours long which was the perfect amount of time. We seemed to hit it off very well. We talked about the position and expectations. I asked about advancement potential and she said I was an excellent candidate and could take her position as she was leaving in the next few months. This would over step the existing ASM because she was new and not ready for that position. I was told she would set up the second interview with her DM in the next few days. I thanked her for her time and consideration and left feeling very excited and confident. Later that day I sent her an Email again thanking her and expressing my interest in meeting her DM. Days went by and I sent a second Email. It's now been 2 months and I never heard back from anyone. This was very disappointing and unprofessional.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kiehl's.

Interview Details – Walked into the store and asked if they where hiring seasonal help

Interview Question – What makes you interested in our Brand   Answer Question

Strategic Planning Intern Interview

Strategic Planning Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kiehl's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Wanted to get my foot in the door at L'Oreal so I applied for a 1 year contracted internship. Full time-35 hours but usually average 40-42 hours a week with paid Overtime. I had great references from within the company that I contact post application process. They contacted me for a phone interview and then went into the office for a second round interview.

Interview Question – Asked about previous experiences, what I have to bring to the table, why L'Oreal, why particular department and where I see myself in 5 years and again in 10 years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The internship process and phase is pretty standard within L'Oreal across all brands and departments. There are not benefits.

HUman Resources Management Interview

HUman Resources Management
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kiehl's in August 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Kiehls for an HR position. Kiehls is a division of L'OREAL and I met with their recruiter first, who then recommended me to meet with a senior HR person at Kiehls. The process took several long weeks, I was told repeatedly that I was still a candidate, however, I was never called back for a second interview at Kiehls nor updated if the position had been filled. The L'OREAL recruiter referred me for other positions in the L'OREAL family, but again the process was long and drawn out. I finaled ceased contact. I think their process is indicative of a large corporation trying to determine how to best staff their teams when open positions arise. The interviews themselves were quite good, but the lengthy follow up process was unacceptable, especially for busy professional people.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Kiehls.   View Answer

Freelance Copywriter Interview

Freelance Copywriter
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kiehl's in October 2011.

Interview Details – I went in for an interview with one of the Copywriters only to find out they were not actually hiring. They were looking for future possibilities, but three months later, I have only gotten an email saying they weren't hiring quite yet.

Interview Question – Background experience   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Kiehl's.

Interview Details – group interview with all managers , then individual interview with regional human resource

Interview Question – if you have 1m, what would u do with the money?   View Answer

Customer Representative Interview

Customer Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Kiehl's.

Interview Details – Apply online and got an interview 3 months after

Interview Question – Not really difficult, mostly behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Kiehl's in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, had my first in person interview with the area manager the next week. That lasted about an hour, many standard questions but she really pushed for answers as to why I was the right person for the job. Be prepared to offer several situational examples to speak to your achievements and problem solving abilities. Most of it was quite expected: Tell me about your history, what are you looking for in a position, why are you right for this role, why is this company right for you, etc. She scheduled a second interview with an HR counselor on the spot, to take place over the phone later that week.

The second interview was about half an hour, the HR counselor was abrupt and slightly cold- challenging everything I said and even shooting down career aspirations. He was not rude but definitely tested me to see how I responded under pressure. I received an email a few days later saying my third and "final" interview would be in person with a sales manager.

The third interview took place about two weeks later, the interviewer was warm and easy to talk to, the conversation was casual. She asked virtually the very same questions as the area manager and it lasted about half an hour. I received an email a few days later asking for my references and availability, stating I would be receiving a job offer imminently.

Two weeks later I received an email saying I was required to complete an interview with an HR counselor. The phone interview was scheduled for later that week. Half an hour into the interview, the interviewer realized I'd already spoken with the HR department and abruptly stopped the conversation, apologizing. She said as soon as my references were contacted they would draft an offer for me, and I could potentially start the following week.

HR took ten days to contact my references. All of my references told me the half hour (!) reference call was one of the toughest interviews they have ever had- they were grilled about my character, personality, work ethic and skills. My references all said they felt the questions were baiting them to divulge my weaknesses, so make sure you only choose people who can speak favourably under pressure.

Another two weeks went by and they scheduled another interview with the VP of the brand. When I inquired as to why this was necessary, after being told my third interview was the final one, they said it was standard procedure, not to worry, a job offer was imminent. This was a phone interview, lasted about half an hour, and a repetition of all the questions previously asked. The VP was polite and easy to talk to, complimentary and gracious.

Two weeks later I had still not heard anything. I emailed the area manager to ask what the status of my application was. She emailed me six days later thanking me for my interest but I was not selected for the position, with no explanation why. I was blown away after being told for the last four weeks I was going to receive an offer. I would definitely hesitate to ever apply with L'oreal again knowing how disorganized they are in their hiring process, and how they strung me along for nine weeks and then dropped me like a hot potato.

Interview Questions

• What did you think of the area manager?   Answer Question
  • Other individuals with a similar background to you have not been successful in this position, what would make you different?   Answer Question
  • How soon after being hired would you make a noticeable difference in your location?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative - Seasonal Interview

Customer Service Representative - Seasonal
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kiehl's.

Interview Details – Very casual. Basically chat with the store manager then waiting for next interview with district manager. Had a phone interview with the district manager instead due to her tight schedule. Overall very pleasant and welcoming.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not expecting much so I did not negotiate.

Worked for Kiehl's? Contribute to the Community!