Kiewit Corporation

2.8

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation.

Had 2 phone interviews and an in-person interview with 4 managers. Initially applied for a different position in a different state, but was asked to take on a different position with the company as they had a current need for engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? What do you bring to the company?   Answer Question

Field Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation in February 2015.

They start off with a phone interview that was pretty standard. The second part was somewhat strange because it used a website called HireVue that made you record your answers using your webcam to about 8 questions but there won't be anyone on the other side. The last part was a party/group interview that was somewhat unnerving but not horrible.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I choose you over the other applicants?
      How do you feel about long hours?
      What are your feelings about relocation?

Analytics and Reporting SQL Support Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation in January 2015.

Worst interview experience ever! Hiring manager was so incompetent, got called back for second interview within a few hours of first interview. Before the second interview, I was told by the hiring manager it looked 'promising' and he even went on to ask about my availability. Did pretty well in both interview, yet no offer was made, instead they went to hire an internal contractor. What a waste of time!

This was second time at Kiewit for me that they hired somebody internal instead, why waste time interviewing others outside the company if you are going to be biased.

Nonetheless, the HR is nice enough to let you know about the post interview decision. I would recommend asking the HR if they are considering anybody internal for the position first and then come to the interview or even apply. Never again!

Interview Questions
    • Regular interview questions-
      Why do you want to come work for Kiewit?
      Tell us about a time where you solved a critical problem and how.
      How do you learn best practices for SSRS?
      What is your ideal work environment?

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Kiewit Corporation in January 2015.

Met at my college and was called that day for an interview the next day. During interview, one person was asking the questions, while another was typing. It was hard to read the interviewer's reactions.. However, I suppose that is common with an HR rep. Interview was difficult because it was for any entry level position within the company, not for any specific location.

Interview Questions
    • What three engineering projects/companies impress you the most and why?   Answer Question
    • At the end of the day, what makes you stand out from other candidates?   Answer Question

Engineer/Estimator Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation.

It was very relaxed... simple questions like why construction, and many of the other questions were from the previous reviews. I was invited for on campus interview and after three months I had a second interview in NJ. The second interview took less that two hours. a week after the interview, I got a phone call with the offer.

It was pretty easy. I emailed them my argument and next morning the HR called with better offer

Field Engineer Interview

Simple interview with basic questions such as walk us through resume, why construction, what do you know about kiewit, tell us about yourself, are you ok with relocation, what do you see yourself doing in 10 years

None

QC Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation in December 2014.

Applied to a requistion online. Sent an email to the recruiter. Recruited had a phone conversation with me, and asked me what I wanted to make. Said he would get back with me. This did not happen, I assume that I was overly qualified/compensated. Have not heard back, but in fairness I did not reach out to see what happened in their process.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience in water construction?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Kiewit Corporation.

Hire Vue video interview. You are given 1.5 mins to answer each question, 6 in total. You have time between the interview questions to take a break. Once you view the question you have 30 seconds to prep before you are forced to answer the question.The questions cover a variety of topics from why you are in your field of study to what industry in Kiewit you would like to work in.

Field Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation in November 2014.

I was contacted by the HR department to inform me that I was one of the candidates selected for a final interview. As it was an interview with a number of other people, the date and times were already selected and not greatly flexible. It was on onsite interview, for which all travel expenses and arrangements were made by Kiewit. The interview process spanned two days: the first consisted of onsite tours to explore different offices and active job sites to explore what the work was like and to meet the people working in those environments, and the second consisted of typical one-on-one interviews. They were in a round robin style, so throughout the morning you would have several one-on-one interview with different people in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you were a leader of a team when an unexpected problem arose that would jeopardize the completion of the project, and how you worked to successfully resolve the issue to achieve the intended goal.   Answer Question

SmartPlant Instrumentation Administration Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kiewit Corporation in November 2014.

I was contacted by HR and asked some primary questions about my experience and why I want to leave my present company. We discussed many aspects of SPI Admin. I would received an email for a "camera" interview. I guess they wanted to see my face. My resume wasn't enough. Then, I would have more detail question from the Engineer Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The camera interview was one of the most strangest interview I have ever experience. This device will only gives you 1 minute to reflect on the question and there's not going back or "do-over". The questions were nothing pertaining to the position I was applying for.

After, I get to talk to the Engineer Manager and he was describing a position that's considerable lower than the one I was applying. I asked him about the SPI Admin and he was discussing about design. I wasn't sure they needed a Admin or designer.

After the interview, HR contacted me to find out how my interview went. For the most part, it was positive. We then starting talking about the company and benefits. The then threw the bomb on me. Although, all the time the position was for a direct full time position, he told me that he would preferred that I go contract for 90 days. This infuriated me because after all the discussions and interviews, at the end, they decided to tell me that I have to go contract for 90 days; with no benefits.

To me this was a ploy to eliminate or weed out candidates for any reason. In my case, it seems to be racial motivated or age. I answered the questions. I was up front and truthful with them. Any yet and very suspicious, they tell me at the end that I have to go thru probation.

The HR person first told me that everyone goes thru this probational period; even he went thru it. That statement is what made me suspicious. If he went thru it, why didn't he tell me in the beginning? Why did he tell me in the end? He used it as a leverage.

So candidates, beware!