Kinder Morgan Energy Partners

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Kinder Morgan Energy Partners in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two engineers, a drilling engineer and the head recruiter. They were reasonably nice. Most of the interview questions were personal aptitude questions, and situation resolution questions. Almost nobody went to their information session; I would recommend doing so, it gives you one on one time with them.

Smile throughout the interview, do not be frantic. I did not think the interview went badly, but the drilling engineer began suppressing laughter at one of my responses. I knew that was where it all ended, I still don't know what I said. Ultimately, they picked another one of my classmates. Maybe it was for the best, although it was a very nice sounding company.

I think they took too long to get back to the candidates, even if they were not picked for internships. It took two months before I got word, it would have been nicer if the let-down had been more immediate.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you have had to work with someone unpleasant? How did you manage it?   Answer Question
  • Are you willing to work in a small area?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kinder Morgan Energy Partners in October 2010.

Interview Details – I received a request to schedule an interview and I chose a time. That was my only contact with the company other than the interview. I was interviewed by two different people. One was an engineer, the other was an HR person. It was a standard behavioral interview. It appeared that they were really trying to determine how much I was interested in working in the field and if I would enjoy living in a small town. Many questions revolved around where I had lived and what those communities were like.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kinder Morgan Energy Partners in October 2011.

Interview Details – I worked around Kinder Morgan lines many times before and I always heard good things about the company. With this depression going on and work mainly being construction work slowly drying up I started looking into more stable fields. I came across some Kinder-Morgan Inspectors and asked them what was the process in getting hired, they told me to get to know everyone from the company and to apply online. A recommendation from an employee goes a long way.

About 4 months later I saw a position and went ahead and applied for it and got the initial phone interview, the questions mostly consisted of my work ethic, my background, how I handle situations, and how I handle people.

The second phase was a 1 on 1 interview: it was mostly a question and answer type, the questions were. How well am I going to follow company policy?
Am I going to try to change the rules of pipeline?
How well do I handle hostile situations?
Describe a situation where you had to be the middle man between 2 conflicting people?
What is my work ethic? Describe some situations where my work ethic conflicted with the project?

The third interview was in front of a panel of 3 people 2 being directors.
the questions were the same but this time I had three people picking me apart. The key to getting out of a trap they would set is in my opinion is sticking to your guns and giving the most ethical and politically correct answer possible. They are highly into being politically correct, and honesty. This does'nt mean give a whatever answer but think about the answer and answer it in a political sense, i.e. something they might wanna hear as directors and managers.

Lastly their going to ask if you have any questions, pick a question that is going to flatter them and get them excited about answering the question. Don't ask about what benefits the company is offering or how many days off you get. Ask about how their surviving in this economy, their business goals, their profitability margin/goals, etc...

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – don't bother negotiating they pay pretty good and the benefits of being a full time employee are far better than anyone else. Trust me this place you will grow!

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Kinder Morgan Energy Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kinder Morgan Energy Partners Engineering interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kinder Morgan Energy Partners employees and interview candidates.