Kindercare Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015
Updated Mar 11, 2015

2.6

Pre-kindergarten Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kindercare.

I applied to the position from a Craig's List post. Was emailed almost instantly and asked to come in for any interview. I interviewed with the center director and was offered the job within a few days. Unfortunately, at the time I was currently employed for a few more months. The center director understood and asked me to get in contact with her at the end of that employment if I was still interested in a position. I emailed her and was asked to come in right away to begin training.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really out of the ordinary, to be honest. There were a couple "please tell me what you would do in this situation..." but otherwise it was all pretty straightforward.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Preschool Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kindercare in April 2013.

You have your initial interview where you come in with your resume and discuss your career, then once that is completed you have your work in in interview where you will spend a couple of hours with the children to see how you would best fit in the classroom, if that is good and they plan on hiring you, you go through background check to make sure of no record of neglect.

Lead Toddler Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kindercare in April 2013.

I actually answered an ad on craigslist that didn't mention the company by name. The center director called me and set up an interview. When I arrived, I was given a large, detailed application packet that asked about my education, criminal background, previous experience in the field/other job experience, etc. I was interviewed by two center directors for centers in the area. You will be asked about your salary requirements. Aim high! Many of the centers will offer a higher starting salary if you are confident and well qualified (around $12 per hour).

Interview Questions
    • Question: Describe a time when you stood against others. What was the situation and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    I was a full time college student at the time and was not available to work full time hours. Instead, I was offered a substitute teacher position, with the opportunity to pick up more hours when my schedule allowed.
    The salary was fairly low, but I had not pushed my salary requirements.
    A background check/company clearance was required as well as a check with local licensing to make sure I had clearance to work with young children. I was already working part time at another facility and had a licensing clearance on file, which expedited the process. Once the clearances went through, I completed the hiring paperwork.

Preschool Program Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Kindercare.

I applied online for the position from career builder. I was contacted the next day by phone to set up an interview with occured that same week. The interview was with the Director and Assistant Director. They had a number of questions and asked situational questions. We debated about salary and they called the regional manager who approved the amount I had asked for.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing you would like to change about your current position?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kindercare.

I originally found the job posting on Craigslist and it led me to their website to begin the application process. A few days later, I received an email requesting a phone interview. A week later, I had an in-person interview with the Director of that location. The Director wore sweat pants. Despite our contrasting wardrobe choices, the interview went very well and I progressed onto the final stage: an interview with the regional director. (This time the Director wore slacks.) The third interview went wonderfully. They even made comments like "Can you start tomorrow?" and "You are exactly what we've been looking for!" They said they would let me know the following week.

One week later, I sent a follow-up email to the Corporate Representative. No response.
    4 days after the 1st email, I sent an email to the Director. No response.
    4 days after the 2nd email, I sent an email to the Corporate Representative that gave me the initial phone interview. No response.

20 days after my 3rd interview, I received a phone call from the Corporate Representative telling me that they chose another candidate.

Infant Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kindercare in September 2012.

It felt like the most difficult interview i had ever been in because i was interviewed by the director and district manager at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all of the questions were difficult coming from the district manager because kindercare not only goes by state minimum standards, they also have accreditation so they expect more from their staff. I got nervous at some point.   Answer Question

Preschool Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kindercare.

I saw a posting on Craigslist for Preschool Teacher. I sent a short email describing my interest and attached my resume. I promptly received a reply from the recruiter and we talked on the phone to set up an interview time. The interview was fairly straight forwards. Situational questions pertaining to classroom management and why I wanted to work from KinderCare. I came to find out that my interviewer did not work at the location I was being interviewed for. This was really odd because after I essentially was hired by this recruiter person I sat down with the Center Director for maybe 5 mins for final approval. I did not get a tour of the school or meet any of the teachers/children before I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Come prepared with answers for typical questions. Strengths and weaknesses. Ask about student/teacher ratios, etc.   Answer Question
    I was shocked to be offered the amount as I was expecting some where in the 10-12 range. I did not attempt to negotiate but I heard from fellow employees that they were able to negotiate up to .50 more. You will not get paid more that $14.00 as a teacher at KinderCare.

Lead School-age Teacher/After School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kindercare in August 2012.

I applied for this position online through Snag-a-job. This particular field has a high teacher turn over rate, so for just about every position I applied to, I was called back immediately. The Asst. Director told me, and I quote, "When I saw your resume, I told my boss, 'I don't want anybody but HER!'" I went into the interview without much confidence when she told me how many people applied for the job, but hearing this boosted my confidence.

I found the interview process to be fairly smooth and easy. The Assistant Director took care of the hiring process for the most part, and I met with the actual Director before my training began. The Asst. Director was impressed by my resume and tried to speed the process along. My interview with her was very short. She simply went over my resume again and asked me a few simple questions (asked for me to detail my experience and what I loved about working with children) just to make sure I was as competent as my resume stated.

She consulted her boss (the Director of the entire center) after meeting with me, and the Director called me in for a "follow-up" interview in which she basically stated that I was as good as hired but wanted to meet with me herself. She asked me many questions about my experience--mainly my experience with the specific age group with which I would be working--School age children (ages 5-12). She asked me if I had experience creating fun lesson plans and activities for that age group and experience tutoring or helping with homework. She mainly used this meeting as an opportunity to detail the job description and talk about salary and responsibilities. The training and hiring process is what is complicated and takes much longer. KinderCare is a large corporation, so they can do nothing (including hiring or firing employees) without approval from a corporate level. There was a lot of paperwork, background check, drug testing, etc. I spent a whole work day (about 6-7 hours) reading manuals and training work books and becoming familiar with all KinderCare policies and paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • The Director did voice concerns about my "youthful" appearance and reserved/soft spoken manner (Which was all true). At the time (year before last), I was a 21-year old college student, but she commented that I look much younger and stated that in the past, very young and soft-spoken teachers have had trouble commanding respect from the older students in this age group.

She made me aware of the challenges in the school-age classroom. " How would I handle disrespect from students or deal with school-age children that did not respect me as an adult? Or be able to manage my classroom and keep their attention without yelling?" Many of the students were in fact, my height and size.

View Answer
    No real negotiation, per se. I was offered a starting salary of $8.75 for this position, which is typical and what I expected for this type of work, so I accepted. I was given a pretty flexible schedule to start with.

Toddler Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scranton, PA

Apply on-line through Kindercare website (open positions are listed). I first completed a phone interview and was asked to come in for an additional interview. The phone interview lasted around 15 minutes and the follow up interview lasted about an hour (included a tour of the facility). The questions were expected for any type of teaching position (Name a time when you stood up for something that wasn't a popular decision, how do you feel you handle classroom management, have you ever planned something that didn't work out, how did you adapt, etc...)

Interview Questions
    • Instead of asking for your biggest strength or weakness they asked for 2-3 of each!   Answer Question
    Flexible to an extent.. for a daycare I feel like they pay well, but they can't pay a huge salary.

Lead Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeville, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kindercare in August 2012.

short, 8 questions, to the point. It is not very formal or personal. THey didn't tell me how much i would make until a week after i started working because they were waiting to hear back from corporate.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in a challenging situation. How would you react   Answer Question
    they don't tell you really how much you make because they have to wait for corporate to get back to them.