Kindercare

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lead Teacher Interview

Lead Teacher
Lakeville, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kindercare in August 2012.

Interview Details – short, 8 questions, to the point. It is not very formal or personal. THey didn't tell me how much i would make until a week after i started working because they were waiting to hear back from corporate.

Interview Question – What would you do in a challenging situation. How would you react   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they don't tell you really how much you make because they have to wait for corporate to get back to them.

Toddler Teacher Interview

Scranton, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kindercare in August 2012.

Interview Details – Apply on-line through Kindercare website (open positions are listed). I first completed a phone interview and was asked to come in for an additional interview. The phone interview lasted around 15 minutes and the follow up interview lasted about an hour (included a tour of the facility). The questions were expected for any type of teaching position (Name a time when you stood up for something that wasn't a popular decision, how do you feel you handle classroom management, have you ever planned something that didn't work out, how did you adapt, etc...)

Interview Question – Instead of asking for your biggest strength or weakness they asked for 2-3 of each!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Flexible to an extent.. for a daycare I feel like they pay well, but they can't pay a huge salary.

Infant Teacher Interview

Infant Teacher
Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kindercare in September 2012.

Interview Details – It felt like the most difficult interview i had ever been in because i was interviewed by the director and district manager at the same time.

Interview Question – Almost all of the questions were difficult coming from the district manager because kindercare not only goes by state minimum standards, they also have accreditation so they expect more from their staff. I got nervous at some point.   Answer Question

Preschool Teacher Interview

Preschool Teacher
Lake Oswego, OR

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kindercare.

Interview Details – I saw a posting on Craigslist for Preschool Teacher. I sent a short email describing my interest and attached my resume. I promptly received a reply from the recruiter and we talked on the phone to set up an interview time. The interview was fairly straight forwards. Situational questions pertaining to classroom management and why I wanted to work from KinderCare. I came to find out that my interviewer did not work at the location I was being interviewed for. This was really odd because after I essentially was hired by this recruiter person I sat down with the Center Director for maybe 5 mins for final approval. I did not get a tour of the school or meet any of the teachers/children before I was hired.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. Come prepared with answers for typical questions. Strengths and weaknesses. Ask about student/teacher ratios, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was shocked to be offered the amount as I was expecting some where in the 10-12 range. I did not attempt to negotiate but I heard from fellow employees that they were able to negotiate up to .50 more. You will not get paid more that $14.00 as a teacher at KinderCare.

Pre-Kindergarten Teacher Interview

Henderson, NV

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kindercare in October 2011.

Interview Details – I saw the ad on Craigslist and was contacted right away by the center director. The other teacher had quit after giving only 2 days notice. I went in for the interview and the director was very impressed by me - I have a BA degree and am close to getting another in Elem. ED. She asked me how much I was expecting to earn (hourly wage), and I was astute enough to declare I would not take less than $15 an hour! Be careful of any promises the director makes to you! Get it in writing or you will regret it. She told me she would work around my schedule, as I was doing private tutoring at the time. My first day on the job she said"I'm sorry, I need you to be here 'til 6:30 PM every night, we have no one to cover for you, please inform your clients you'll no longer be tutoring." She did this to my co-worker who had wanted to get off early on Fridays, due to religious reasons, at the interview, she said "OK", but on my co-worker's first day of work, she told her the same thing she said to me. The moral: She will promise anything to you to get you to work there, as soon as you are hired she reneges on her promises.

Interview Question – "How much was I expecting to earn?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate by saying I would not accept less than $15 an hour! Since the director liked me and was in a bind to hire someone, she said "I'll let you know." She called me back within half an hour and said "I spoke with my colleagues and you were approved for that wage." I advise others to insist in a nice way that you will not work for less, it worked for me. Also any promises she makes to you, get it in writing.

Very Easy Interview

Teacher Assistant Interview

Smithtown, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kindercare in September 2010.

Interview Details – Called to see if they were hiring. They said to come in to fill out an application and preferences. Filled out application in person. They called for a 1:1 interview with director of facility. Director asked some typical, general questions; took about 15 minutes. Then I was put into the infant room to see how I would do/if I would like it - about 2 hours. The head teacher there was super nice and seemed genuine. They called to offer a position. I called back to accept. Had to come in to fill out paperwork.
I did not have previous experience in daycare. Be yourself.
When I first came in, I had a good vibe and things were going quickly regarding the application and interview process. The people were nice. The director was a bit reserved but friendly. Office space was small/tight and the people seemed busy. Culture seemed relaxed professional and friendly. The head teacher I had a trial with was very nice.
I left the company after 9 months because the boss did not know much about infant culture/behavior, was not available for help even though she said she would be anytime; the politics and management was terrible. There was preferential treatment/cliques among the staff with the director, which was unfair. Bathroom use was limited because you had to have someone cover your position, but most of the time people would not want to do it because they were busy with their jobs. This is a big issue if you have a bad day/are sick and cannot use the bathroom whenever you need to.
Ultimately, the director quit. I believe she was not right for the job. No matter how nice people might seem at the interview, you have to be careful in making friends at work, and people can turn on you quickly.

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. I did not take the initiative to negotiate. Also, job search advice is usually not to negotiate for salary, as far as the jobs I have had.
Negotiating is an art. You need to practice any chance you get. You have to be careful in bringing up salary. But if you do not talk about it, then you are left to take/accept any offer they make if they offer you a job. You could negotiate the salary at time of offer of employment. Since the economy was terrible and people had to take what they could get, it was hard to negotiate.
You have to decide whether it is ok to bring up salary. WOMEN should ask for a raise/negotiate/be more confident, since women often get paid less. I only say this because I am a female and have a hard time talking about salary/negotiating.

Preschool Teacher Interview

Alexandria, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Kindercare in October 2011.

Interview Details – I called the manager to see if she was hiring...she emailed me an application. Couple of days later she called me for interview. After a month she said everything turned out good but couldnt hire me because it was slow. She led me to believe I had the job but nothing.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Wheaton, IL

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Kindercare in November 2010.

Interview Details – pretty much a 1:1 interview then a meeting with 2:1 interview

and i had to create my own activity for the kids to do and demonstrate that i could handle them.

Negotiation Details – check glass door for salaries, and dont expect any more than they give you - but consider asking for 10% more than you were offered if you want.

Teacher Interview

Teacher
Eatontown, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Kindercare in July 2009.

Interview Details – I went in and filled out application, they called a day later, interview in person 2 days later. People and office were very nice but I had already accepted another offer at a higher pay rate.

Interview Question – How would you handle interaction with a parent?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Already accepted offer at another school for higher pay rate.

Lead Teacher Interview

Lead Teacher
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kindercare in February 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with director then spent one hour in classroom.

Interview Question – What is the most appropriate way to discipline a child who just bit another child?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Low Pay