Kindercare Teacher Assistant Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Smithtown, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Smithtown, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Kindercare in September 2010.

Called to see if they were hiring. They said to come in to fill out an application and preferences. Filled out application in person. They called for a 1:1 interview with director of facility. Director asked some typical, general questions; took about 15 minutes. Then I was put into the infant room to see how I would do/if I would like it - about 2 hours. The head teacher there was super nice and seemed genuine. They called to offer a position. I called back to accept. Had to come in to fill out paperwork.
I did not have previous experience in daycare. Be yourself.
When I first came in, I had a good vibe and things were going quickly regarding the application and interview process. The people were nice. The director was a bit reserved but friendly. Office space was small/tight and the people seemed busy. Culture seemed relaxed professional and friendly. The head teacher I had a trial with was very nice.
I left the company after 9 months because the boss did not know much about infant culture/behavior, was not available for help even though she said she would be anytime; the politics and management was terrible. There was preferential treatment/cliques among the staff with the director, which was unfair. Bathroom use was limited because you had to have someone cover your position, but most of the time people would not want to do it because they were busy with their jobs. This is a big issue if you have a bad day/are sick and cannot use the bathroom whenever you need to.
Ultimately, the director quit. I believe she was not right for the job. No matter how nice people might seem at the interview, you have to be careful in making friends at work, and people can turn on you quickly.

I was not able to negotiate. I did not take the initiative to negotiate. Also, job search advice is usually not to negotiate for salary, as far as the jobs I have had.
Negotiating is an art. You need to practice any chance you get. You have to be careful in bringing up salary. But if you do not talk about it, then you are left to take/accept any offer they make if they offer you a job. You could negotiate the salary at time of offer of employment. Since the economy was terrible and people had to take what they could get, it was hard to negotiate.
You have to decide whether it is ok to bring up salary. WOMEN should ask for a raise/negotiate/be more confident, since women often get paid less. I only say this because I am a female and have a hard time talking about salary/negotiating.

Worked for Kindercare? Contribute to the Community!