King County

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.7

Senior Human Resources Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at King County.

Structured Behavioral Interview focusing on previous situational experiences. Asked how I would handle irate and angry employees, respond to public inquiries regarding employee actions/activities. Asked what steps I would take in a fact finding and provide examples of cases I had worked in the past. Was asked to detail the project management process of large projects I had managed in the past and what the outcome of such projects were.

Minimum negotiation allowed.

Legislative Analyst, King County Council Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at King County.

Questionnaires
    Written exams
    Lately, there have been required presentations and in order to be truly competitive you would probably need to have first hand knowlege as a county or city employee.
    It sometimes seemed like the team tasked with doing the main portion of the interview process were interested in selling me on the job. Then after moving forward from the staff portion of the interview, if you do well, you will be asked to return to meet with council members and chief of staff. Council members were at times very engaged, but others were less interested in participating in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about problems facing the General Fund that cannot really adequately be solved.   View Answer
    Very little negotiation allowed. Just an additional $2k to the Council's initial offer.

IT Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at King County.

The hiring process was top notch and thoroughly thought out. If your resume makes it to the short list, you go through a panel interview consisting of 10 plus folks who each ask a question--the questions vary. Additionally, you are given a topic ahead of time to prepare a slide presentation. The final interview is a day onsite where you are in front of a additional panel and asked various questions and get a tour of the office and surround.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say there were any unexpected questions or difficult questions per se. It was a very professional and well thought out process which speaks to the quality of the management and HR group at KCIT.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at King County.

Petty much your standard STAR type of line of questioning. I was interview by a co-worker, the direct Supervisor and Section Supervisor. Interviewers were very busy writing down my responses. Interview took a little over 1.5hrs.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing worth mentioning, most were standard STAR format.   Answer Question
    None, annual step pay increases plus COLA

Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) Senior Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at King County in March 2014.

I submitted for the position in February 2014 and received email from King County in March 3rd week for selecting date for interview and written test. I selected the interview date, test date and received confirmation. I arrived 20 min before the interview, so they gave me list of questions that will be asked in the interview. There were 7 questions and all were related to work experience. I answered all the question with ease and left the king county office. As per schedule, I was sent written test document and was asked to send it back in an hour. Written test had 11 technical questions, I answered 10 of them correctly and was confident on the outcome. Next week, I received email that I have not been selected to move forward in the selection process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easy. In written test, I was asked to explain o2c or p2p cycle, cursors, sql query and a pl/sql block.   Answer Question

Operations Chief In Transit Control Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at King County.

I was involved in at least 10 hiring panels for First Line Supervisors. The first step was to work out the interview questions and the role play scenarios. Next was to post the job requiremnts and review the applicants work history followed by a written test. This culled about 10-15% of the applicants. Usually the applicants were then asked to play the role of a First line Supervisor in a series of four difficult situations and was graded by the panel on how well they perfomed in real time and gave the panel an insight as to what skills interacting with others they possed as well as their ability to solve difficult situations. We used other employees as actors (current First Line Supervisors), followed by an interview sometimes immidiately, other times on another date.
     The panels were fair, open minded and tried to make the applicants as comfortable as possible. We offered feedback when asked after the hiring process was over. The culture at King County was one of mutual resect between employees and Manager. I always had an open door policy for my workgroup to vent, ask questions, etc. My expectations were always made clear and I tried to foster an atmosphere of personal accountability from the Supervisors I managed.

Interview Questions
    • In my own interview for Transit Chief the question that struck me was "Where do you visualize Metro/King County in 5 years?"   View Answer

Juvenile Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at King County.

I have applied to be a Juvenile Counselor many times through this government organization. I have many credentials, mostly through long-term unpaid volunteer experience. That said, the first time I tried submitting an application for a Counselor position, I was never contacted or notified I didn't make it to the interview round. After calling the HR manager, he very rudely informed me that they were looking for "qualified professionals" strictly and even though my long history of the same work looked good, it just didn't cut it to be considered "professional." He suggested I work on-call or as a security guard for a year then try applying again. Since I hold multiple degrees and have nearly 10 years of experience, I found this suggestion offensive. So, I apply for a Counselor Assistant position (one step down), and once again don't make it to interviews. This same person, the HR Manager, explains to me that he ranks and assigns a numerical value to every application and that mine was very low so he didn't forward my application on (once again). However, I told him I had all of the job requirements and most of the preferred requirements. I referenced our last conversation, in which he told me volunteer experience was not considered "professional" and he refuted giving me this advice. He told me I misunderstood him and that I could have moved my volunteer experience to the work experience section of my application so he would have noticed* it and forwarded it on to the hiring manager.

Administrative Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at King County in October 2013.

Computer proficiency screening was the first step. Results and job offer were soon to follow.

Special Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at King County in July 2013.

Quick, easy, direct

Didn't negotiate.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at King County in June 2013.

I applied this intern online at king county department of natural resources and parks, and were informed of coming to an interview by email. During the interview, two hiring managers were there asking basic questions. All the questions are really basic, but since it was the very first time participating an interview, I was quite nervous and did not answer quite well. I was told that I did not enter the second interview by email a month later. The hiring guys there are quite nice though.