King County

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County.

Interview Details – Petty much your standard STAR type of line of questioning. I was interview by a co-worker, the direct Supervisor and Section Supervisor. Interviewers were very busy writing down my responses. Interview took a little over 1.5hrs.

Interview Question – Nothing worth mentioning, most were standard STAR format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, annual step pay increases plus COLA

Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) Senior Applications Developer Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted for the position in February 2014 and received email from King County in March 3rd week for selecting date for interview and written test. I selected the interview date, test date and received confirmation. I arrived 20 min before the interview, so they gave me list of questions that will be asked in the interview. There were 7 questions and all were related to work experience. I answered all the question with ease and left the king county office. As per schedule, I was sent written test document and was asked to send it back in an hour. Written test had 11 technical questions, I answered 10 of them correctly and was confident on the outcome. Next week, I received email that I have not been selected to move forward in the selection process.

Interview Question – Questions were easy. In written test, I was asked to explain o2c or p2p cycle, cursors, sql query and a pl/sql block.   Answer Question

Administrative Staff Assistant Interview

Administrative Staff Assistant
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at King County in October 2013.

Interview Details – Computer proficiency screening was the first step. Results and job offer were soon to follow.

Engineering Intern Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied this intern online at king county department of natural resources and parks, and were informed of coming to an interview by email. During the interview, two hiring managers were there asking basic questions. All the questions are really basic, but since it was the very first time participating an interview, I was quite nervous and did not answer quite well. I was told that I did not enter the second interview by email a month later. The hiring guys there are quite nice though.

Interview Question – Describe your most angry moment.   Answer Question

Operations Chief In Transit Control Center Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and interviewed at King County.

Interview Details – I was involved in at least 10 hiring panels for First Line Supervisors. The first step was to work out the interview questions and the role play scenarios. Next was to post the job requiremnts and review the applicants work history followed by a written test. This culled about 10-15% of the applicants. Usually the applicants were then asked to play the role of a First line Supervisor in a series of four difficult situations and was graded by the panel on how well they perfomed in real time and gave the panel an insight as to what skills interacting with others they possed as well as their ability to solve difficult situations. We used other employees as actors (current First Line Supervisors), followed by an interview sometimes immidiately, other times on another date.
 The panels were fair, open minded and tried to make the applicants as comfortable as possible. We offered feedback when asked after the hiring process was over. The culture at King County was one of mutual resect between employees and Manager. I always had an open door policy for my workgroup to vent, ask questions, etc. My expectations were always made clear and I tried to foster an atmosphere of personal accountability from the Supervisors I managed.

Interview Question – In my own interview for Transit Chief the question that struck me was "Where do you visualize Metro/King County in 5 years?"   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Special Project Manager Interview

Special Project Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at King County in July 2013.

Interview Details – Quick, easy, direct

Interview Question – Didn't have one   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate.

Juvenile Rehabilitation Counselor Assistant Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County.

Interview Details – I have applied to be a Juvenile Counselor many times through this government organization. I have many credentials, mostly through long-term unpaid volunteer experience. That said, the first time I tried submitting an application for a Counselor position, I was never contacted or notified I didn't make it to the interview round. After calling the HR manager, he very rudely informed me that they were looking for "qualified professionals" strictly and even though my long history of the same work looked good, it just didn't cut it to be considered "professional." He suggested I work on-call or as a security guard for a year then try applying again. Since I hold multiple degrees and have nearly 10 years of experience, I found this suggestion offensive. So, I apply for a Counselor Assistant position (one step down), and once again don't make it to interviews. This same person, the HR Manager, explains to me that he ranks and assigns a numerical value to every application and that mine was very low so he didn't forward my application on (once again). However, I told him I had all of the job requirements and most of the preferred requirements. I referenced our last conversation, in which he told me volunteer experience was not considered "professional" and he refuted giving me this advice. He told me I misunderstood him and that I could have moved my volunteer experience to the work experience section of my application so he would have noticed* it and forwarded it on to the hiring manager.

Intern Interview

Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at King County in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my application online. Then over a month later I got a phone call requesting an in-person interview on-site with two engineering managers.

The interview was very structured and formal. Managers literally went down a list of questions from HR and apologized at how boring it was because there wasn't any real conversation, just them asking questions and me giving my best answer. All questions were behavioral and not difficult at all.

Interview Question – You are working with an experienced client. What steps do you take when you initially approach them and work with them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay was the bottom of the range they provide on the website.

Administrative Staff Assistant, Temporary Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at King County in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very fast process as they were motivated to hire quickly. Panel interview for about an hour, very basic yet interesting questions. Really nice and respectful folks. Took a series of computer and typing tests. Had job offer the following week.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO BREAK INTO THE PUBLIC SECTOR, apply for the Temp jobs as you may have a better chance of getting in as it's usually very hard to do. Make sure your typing and Microsoft Office skills are top notch for the tests they give you. The MS Office tests are hard because you only get 2 tries to answer the questions.

I have been working here for about four months and have made great contacts and formed solid relationships. I expect to be offered a permanant position but if not, I now have the experience and specific training I need to be competitive for other county jobs.

Interview Question – How do you handle conflict on the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for government jobs.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Renton, WA

I applied online - interviewed at King County in September 2012.

Interview Details – First applied online for King County Elections, got a response for an in person interview the next day (usually takes a lot longer than this). Had to go in and do three separate tests: customer service, data entry, and WPM test. Aced all three and got offered a job on the spot. others had to wait for call backs.

Interview Question – The customer service questions are pretty biased or have more than one possible answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, temp work and no benefits.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for King County? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at King County interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by King County employees and interview candidates.