King County Library System

Updated Dec 29, 2014
Updated Dec 29, 2014

2.8

Library Page Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at King County Library System.

Applied online, was contacted for an interview about a week later. The interview was on-site with two supervisors and took about 20 minutes. First, they gave me a skills test of putting library books - both fiction and nonfiction - in order on a cart. Then they asked me a few basic questions like "Why do you want to work here? Can you perform the physical duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation? This library has materials that some may find offensive, do you have any objections to handling materials that you may find offensive in nature?" If you have prior customer service experience, this interview should not be hard. You'll be asked to give examples of how you would handle difficult people, things like that.

Interview Questions
    • A patron is using the computer and is looking at material you find offensive. How would you handle the situation?   View Answer

Library Technical Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at King County Library System.

The process can be lengthy. After the initial application materials are submitted there is a waiting period as the HR Department works its way through the applications. Eventually you are scheduled for a phone interview where several simple "classic" interview type questions are asked, including a few specific to library philosophy (free and open access for all).

After making it through the phone interview you are eventually contacted for an in-person interview. This can vary widely based on who is interviewing you, but the selection of questions is generally about the same. A lot of things about working in fast environments, how you handle multiple priorities, what you would do in certain situations and questions regarding managing projects. You'll also be asked about experience in working with difficult patrons/customers, as well as difficult coworkers. Be prepared with several examples of accomplishments you're proud of and ones you're not so proud of.

If you did well, and most do, you are now in the Library Technical Assistant Pool. But you don't have a job.

Once your in the pool you can apply to specific positions. You are accepted based on the score you received from the various components of the initial application process. These interviews can also vary depending on what cluster you are interviewing at, but the questions are largely the same as the interview for the pool.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you've gone against your supervisor's wishes and it turned out well.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Payment and scheduling is set in stone.

Library Technical Assistant Substitute Pool Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at King County Library System.

After submitting an online application I was immediately contacted to say that I would be contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview happened about 1 1/2 weeks later. It was a scripted seven question interview. I thought it went well and was notified about 2 weeks later that I had made it through to the next round which was a two hour interview and assessment. After another week or so I was offered time slots for that interview which took place at their headquarters. I met with one person and an observer. There were a lot of questions about working with different types of people and handling conflict. I was then given a scenario to think about and write some notes about. Then I met with another person and an observer. I went over the scenario and how I would handle the situation. Then there were more questions about working with different types of people and conflict. I thought I had answered most questions good to great and flubbed a few. I was notified a week or so later that I was not chosen. There is no feedback offered so I have no idea where I did not do well.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a conflict with someone different from you and talk about it from the other person's perspective.   View Answer

Librarian Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at King County Library System in April 2008.

The interview process consisted of a telephone interview and two face-to-face interviews. All of this was not to compete for an actual job, but for an opportunity to be put into the "pool" in case a job opened up. All in all it was quite unsatisfying, because even after three long sessions, even if you are successful, you aren't getting a job. You're given the opportunity to wait, along with 180 other poor fools.

Interview Questions
    • Only question I can remember is, "what book would you suggest for someone who likes to read Georgette Heyer?"   View Answer