King County Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Sep 7, 2014

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Legislative Analyst, King County Council Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at King County.

Questionnaires
    Written exams
    Lately, there have been required presentations and in order to be truly competitive you would probably need to have first hand knowlege as a county or city employee.
    It sometimes seemed like the team tasked with doing the main portion of the interview process were interested in selling me on the job. Then after moving forward from the staff portion of the interview, if you do well, you will be asked to return to meet with council members and chief of staff. Council members were at times very engaged, but others were less interested in participating in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about problems facing the General Fund that cannot really adequately be solved.   View Answer
    Very little negotiation allowed. Just an additional $2k to the Council's initial offer.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County.

The hiring process was top notch and thoroughly thought out. If your resume makes it to the short list, you go through a panel interview consisting of 10 plus folks who each ask a question--the questions vary. Additionally, you are given a topic ahead of time to prepare a slide presentation. The final interview is a day onsite where you are in front of a additional panel and asked various questions and get a tour of the office and surround.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say there were any unexpected questions or difficult questions per se. It was a very professional and well thought out process which speaks to the quality of the management and HR group at KCIT.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County.

Petty much your standard STAR type of line of questioning. I was interview by a co-worker, the direct Supervisor and Section Supervisor. Interviewers were very busy writing down my responses. Interview took a little over 1.5hrs.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing worth mentioning, most were standard STAR format.   Answer Question
    None, annual step pay increases plus COLA

Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) Senior Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County in March 2014.

I submitted for the position in February 2014 and received email from King County in March 3rd week for selecting date for interview and written test. I selected the interview date, test date and received confirmation. I arrived 20 min before the interview, so they gave me list of questions that will be asked in the interview. There were 7 questions and all were related to work experience. I answered all the question with ease and left the king county office. As per schedule, I was sent written test document and was asked to send it back in an hour. Written test had 11 technical questions, I answered 10 of them correctly and was confident on the outcome. Next week, I received email that I have not been selected to move forward in the selection process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easy. In written test, I was asked to explain o2c or p2p cycle, cursors, sql query and a pl/sql block.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County in June 2013.

I applied this intern online at king county department of natural resources and parks, and were informed of coming to an interview by email. During the interview, two hiring managers were there asking basic questions. All the questions are really basic, but since it was the very first time participating an interview, I was quite nervous and did not answer quite well. I was told that I did not enter the second interview by email a month later. The hiring guys there are quite nice though.

Operations Chief In Transit Control Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at King County.

I was involved in at least 10 hiring panels for First Line Supervisors. The first step was to work out the interview questions and the role play scenarios. Next was to post the job requiremnts and review the applicants work history followed by a written test. This culled about 10-15% of the applicants. Usually the applicants were then asked to play the role of a First line Supervisor in a series of four difficult situations and was graded by the panel on how well they perfomed in real time and gave the panel an insight as to what skills interacting with others they possed as well as their ability to solve difficult situations. We used other employees as actors (current First Line Supervisors), followed by an interview sometimes immidiately, other times on another date.
     The panels were fair, open minded and tried to make the applicants as comfortable as possible. We offered feedback when asked after the hiring process was over. The culture at King County was one of mutual resect between employees and Manager. I always had an open door policy for my workgroup to vent, ask questions, etc. My expectations were always made clear and I tried to foster an atmosphere of personal accountability from the Supervisors I managed.

Interview Questions
    • In my own interview for Transit Chief the question that struck me was "Where do you visualize Metro/King County in 5 years?"   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at King County in May 2013.

Submitted my application online. Then over a month later I got a phone call requesting an in-person interview on-site with two engineering managers.

The interview was very structured and formal. Managers literally went down a list of questions from HR and apologized at how boring it was because there wasn't any real conversation, just them asking questions and me giving my best answer. All questions were behavioral and not difficult at all.

Interview Questions
    • You are working with an experienced client. What steps do you take when you initially approach them and work with them?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Pay was the bottom of the range they provide on the website.

Administrative Staff Assistant, Temporary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at King County in March 2013.

Very fast process as they were motivated to hire quickly. Panel interview for about an hour, very basic yet interesting questions. Really nice and respectful folks. Took a series of computer and typing tests. Had job offer the following week.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO BREAK INTO THE PUBLIC SECTOR, apply for the Temp jobs as you may have a better chance of getting in as it's usually very hard to do. Make sure your typing and Microsoft Office skills are top notch for the tests they give you. The MS Office tests are hard because you only get 2 tries to answer the questions.

I have been working here for about four months and have made great contacts and formed solid relationships. I expect to be offered a permanant position but if not, I now have the experience and specific training I need to be competitive for other county jobs.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for government jobs.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at King County in September 2010.

process to apply and get to interview took 3 months and follow-up request for second interview took another 4 weeks. Entire process was disjointed and communication was so poor I choose to drop out entirely assuming that the hiring process was reflective of how the overall organization was operating.

Interview Questions
    • questions were rotuine and covered the boiler plate topics   Answer Question

Unimpressed with how the entire hiring process was organized, run and with the lack of active communication I assumed this was reflective of the organization and not an environment I wanted to work in.

Law Enforcement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at King County in March 2012.

Very drawn out. Panel inteview, then one-on-one, then panel for last few candidates - all over several weeks. Came to find out that the position was pretty much guaranteed to go to an individual already inside and related to someone in the organization. Very frustrating to spend so much time and energy and emotion on what amounts to a lost cause - and a waste of time for all concerned. Was just as well I didn't get the position, as it turns out, but the process is disappointing all the same.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of "Describe a scenario when you . . . and then you and then you, and what did you do?"   View Answer

Worked for King County? Contribute to the Community!