King County

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County.

Interview Details – Petty much your standard STAR type of line of questioning. I was interview by a co-worker, the direct Supervisor and Section Supervisor. Interviewers were very busy writing down my responses. Interview took a little over 1.5hrs.

Interview Question – Nothing worth mentioning, most were standard STAR format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, annual step pay increases plus COLA

Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) Senior Applications Developer Interview

Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) Senior Applications Developer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County in March 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted for the position in February 2014 and received email from King County in March 3rd week for selecting date for interview and written test. I selected the interview date, test date and received confirmation. I arrived 20 min before the interview, so they gave me list of questions that will be asked in the interview. There were 7 questions and all were related to work experience. I answered all the question with ease and left the king county office. As per schedule, I was sent written test document and was asked to send it back in an hour. Written test had 11 technical questions, I answered 10 of them correctly and was confident on the outcome. Next week, I received email that I have not been selected to move forward in the selection process.

Interview Question – Questions were easy. In written test, I was asked to explain o2c or p2p cycle, cursors, sql query and a pl/sql block.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at King County in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied this intern online at king county department of natural resources and parks, and were informed of coming to an interview by email. During the interview, two hiring managers were there asking basic questions. All the questions are really basic, but since it was the very first time participating an interview, I was quite nervous and did not answer quite well. I was told that I did not enter the second interview by email a month later. The hiring guys there are quite nice though.

Interview Question – Describe your most angry moment.   Answer Question

Operations Chief In Transit Control Center Interview

Operations Chief In Transit Control Center
Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and interviewed at King County.

Interview Details – I was involved in at least 10 hiring panels for First Line Supervisors. The first step was to work out the interview questions and the role play scenarios. Next was to post the job requiremnts and review the applicants work history followed by a written test. This culled about 10-15% of the applicants. Usually the applicants were then asked to play the role of a First line Supervisor in a series of four difficult situations and was graded by the panel on how well they perfomed in real time and gave the panel an insight as to what skills interacting with others they possed as well as their ability to solve difficult situations. We used other employees as actors (current First Line Supervisors), followed by an interview sometimes immidiately, other times on another date.
 The panels were fair, open minded and tried to make the applicants as comfortable as possible. We offered feedback when asked after the hiring process was over. The culture at King County was one of mutual resect between employees and Manager. I always had an open door policy for my workgroup to vent, ask questions, etc. My expectations were always made clear and I tried to foster an atmosphere of personal accountability from the Supervisors I managed.

Interview Question – In my own interview for Transit Chief the question that struck me was "Where do you visualize Metro/King County in 5 years?"   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at King County in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my application online. Then over a month later I got a phone call requesting an in-person interview on-site with two engineering managers.

The interview was very structured and formal. Managers literally went down a list of questions from HR and apologized at how boring it was because there wasn't any real conversation, just them asking questions and me giving my best answer. All questions were behavioral and not difficult at all.

Interview Question – You are working with an experienced client. What steps do you take when you initially approach them and work with them?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay was the bottom of the range they provide on the website.

Administrative Staff Assistant, Temporary Interview

Administrative Staff Assistant, Temporary
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at King County in March 2013.

Interview Details – Very fast process as they were motivated to hire quickly. Panel interview for about an hour, very basic yet interesting questions. Really nice and respectful folks. Took a series of computer and typing tests. Had job offer the following week.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO BREAK INTO THE PUBLIC SECTOR, apply for the Temp jobs as you may have a better chance of getting in as it's usually very hard to do. Make sure your typing and Microsoft Office skills are top notch for the tests they give you. The MS Office tests are hard because you only get 2 tries to answer the questions.

I have been working here for about four months and have made great contacts and formed solid relationships. I expect to be offered a permanant position but if not, I now have the experience and specific training I need to be competitive for other county jobs.

Interview Question – How do you handle conflict on the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for government jobs.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at King County in September 2010.

Interview Details – process to apply and get to interview took 3 months and follow-up request for second interview took another 4 weeks. Entire process was disjointed and communication was so poor I choose to drop out entirely assuming that the hiring process was reflective of how the overall organization was operating.

Interview Question – questions were rotuine and covered the boiler plate topics   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unimpressed with how the entire hiring process was organized, run and with the lack of active communication I assumed this was reflective of the organization and not an environment I wanted to work in.

Law Enforcement Interview

Law Enforcement
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at King County in March 2012.

Interview Details – Very drawn out. Panel inteview, then one-on-one, then panel for last few candidates - all over several weeks. Came to find out that the position was pretty much guaranteed to go to an individual already inside and related to someone in the organization. Very frustrating to spend so much time and energy and emotion on what amounts to a lost cause - and a waste of time for all concerned. Was just as well I didn't get the position, as it turns out, but the process is disappointing all the same.

Interview Question – A lot of "Describe a scenario when you . . . and then you and then you, and what did you do?"   View Answer

Engineer Tech I Interview

Engineer Tech I
Seattle, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at King County in May 2009.

Interview Details – This was an interesting interview. We met at a coffee shop near where I lived. Pretty much they offered me the job at the interview. Didn't really ask too many questions. None were difficult. They just told me about the job and what i would be doing. Because this was a temporary position, i think the interview process was different.

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at King County in January 2010.

Interview Details – They asked about 8 questions on field that they want me to work on, and wrote down my answer. The questions are not that hard, but you have to prepare before that.

Interview Question – What is your typical procedure on doing hydraulic modeling   Answer Question

Worked for King County? Contribute to the Community!