King Soopers Courtesy Clerk Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at King Soopers (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

Interviewer was pretty friendly and the process went okay, stammered on some answers since I had no previous experience and did an oral drug test right afterward. Mostly what they're looking for is someone that's making sure they have a lasting impression as customers leave a store.

Interview Questions

• She skipped questions that usually ask what my previous job was since this was my first job and gave me a few different scenarios as a customer on what I think I would most like from someone in this position   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for King Soopers

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at King Soopers (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Group interview format with a few HR people and 8 other store applicants in a conference room. I applied online, but hiring is handled by store level HR people. The corporate call center scheduled my interview and didn't give me much information about the interview format. A Group Interview is VASTLY different than a traditional panel or one-on-one interview. I spent two hours at the store. They made us wait in the break room and reviewed how we interacted. Then they spent 30 to 45 minutes total DURING the interview discussing us between group interview questions. They HR people were observing how we handled downtime, how we interacted, and if we got stressed out by waiting around being judged, or even if someone took a potty break or got water. In 20 years of working since high school, I've never had an interview format quite like this. I felt the call center should've explained the group interview format. People were judged as a group, how they handled stress, and who was more bubbly or outspoken. Many people hadn't worked in a long time, or were in high school or college, or going through a career transition. This was the interview format for a $9 an hour job.

Interview Questions

• GROUP INTERVIEW with several other store applicants. All questions were answered in front of 10 other people.

Round 1: Group Introduction
      We had to fill out an applicant card with name, position applying, availability, and general questions about self and experience. We had to introduce ourselves to the group.
      Pick one word to describe yourself. Then HR exited room to discuss candidates while we waited, round 1. Then HR discussed us while we waited and observed how we interacted as a group.

Round 2: Product Commercial
      What do you know about the store or brand. What is your favorite product. This became a mock commercial performed in front of a group of 10 people selling a store brand or feature.
      Then HR exited room to discuss candidates while we waited, round 2. Then HR discussed us while we waited and observed how we interacted as a group. Many nervous people mentioned personal information you shouldn't mention in an interview, such as marital status, disability status, if a parent or not, financial status, education level. These are facts that shouldn't be mentioned in a group interview! People let this information slip because they were nervous or not very experienced with interviews. I feel this only served as a way for HR to weed people out. Several of us in the group were going through a career change. They later told me I didn't have the desired experience, which is bunk because I've worked several stressful sales, customer service, and retail jobs.

Round 3: Group Questions with numbered cards.
      How do you handle change?
      Tell me about a bad customer service experience.
      Tell me about a time you handled conflict with a co-worker.
      What is your experience related to the position you're applying for.
      Then HR exited room to discuss candidates while we waited, round 3. Then HR discussed us while we waited and observed how we interacted as a group.

Round 4: Applicants are divided individually this time and paired directly with an HR person to discuss desired position, availability, and an private matters. The HR person asked if there's anything else they need to know. What does that even mean? I was asked did I like the interview process or not? I felt like my head was being messed with the entire interview process.

1 Answer

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at King Soopers.

Interview

The questions were straight forward and fairly easy. It is not a job that takes that much intelligence so not many complex questions. It seems that they just want bodies for a job like that as opposed to any other position in the store.

Interview Questions

• I was asked where I see myself in 5 years or so.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at King Soopers (Lakewood, CO) in April 2013.

Interview

I'd be lying if I said it was hard. All I did was show up for the interview. They said here's the info on the job, and asked if I could do it. It was easy enough.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, there are too many of these moments to choose from.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at King Soopers (Colorado Springs, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

I called the company the day before the interview. The interview was relatively short since I have family who worked at the store. The training process lasts about a week; you shadow people on the job and then get hands on experience on Saturday. The upper management was very respectful, while the shift managers were very rude most of the time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I signed the contract and the union paperwork that day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at King Soopers (Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO) in June 2011.

Interview

The longest process was the online application. The online application is filled with the personality test and also asks questions about your own background and work history.
    I was then called about a week later where I was set up for an interview.
    I attended the interview in business casual.
    I explained my work history. The interviewer asked what I thought Customer Service was, and after giving some guesses of my own, she told me it was basically just smiling and helping the customer with what they needed. I then had to confirm that I would be available any hours of the week before she would turn in the application. I then took a drug test and was told that in two days the results of the drug test and background check should be in and that I would get an answer then. Three days later I received a call saying that I had to come in and take a computer training course and that I would pick up my uniform then. I was never officially told that I got the job, but that was made apparent when I was handed my uniform.

She then asked if there was any upcoming vacations that were coming up for me.

My Advice:
    Just be yourself. They aren't trying to trick you with any trick questions. Answer with what you think is the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• What Is Customer Service To You?   1 Answer
    • Why Do You Want To Work Here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Really wasn't a negotiating process for me. All this is done after your hired. If you need to negotiate time off, you need to talk to the Head Clerk that does the scheduling.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at King Soopers (Fort Collins, CO) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview was basically can you do these tasks? Okay, you're hired. I was hired at a career fair so this may have been a cause for the ease in the hiring process. Each store secretary may conduct there interviews differently so this may not be the same process you would go through for a similar position.

Interview Questions

• Can you do the following tasks?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation since the company is dictated by union contracts.

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at King Soopers in December 2010.

Interview

Process was quick and easy, Secretary was nice, but hardly call it an interview. A brief drug test and only a couple of questions before she said I started next week. A couple of the questions were such as "Do you have any felonies?" "Do you have any emergency-potential health issues?" and so on.

Interview Questions

• Again, there weren't any difficult questions, simple "Yes or no" types of answers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at King Soopers (Brighton, CO) in June 2009.

Interview

The interview is pretty standard, its also when most of the lies occur. They ask a lot of "Tell me about a time when..." questions, and then proceed to tell you about how great it is to work there and so on. They tell you that you can get days off if you request them in advance and that if you are in school that you'll only be scheduled when you tell them you are available. Neither of these things are true.

Interview Questions

• Just lots of standard "tell me about a time when..." questions. Nothing very difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do you accept? Yes/No, no real negotiation