Kipp Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015

3.6

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Interview

Very unprofessional. I received an email about having a phone interview less than 24 hours after submitting my application. I followed up saying I was good for an interview that day, and the recruiter never answered. I followed up with two more emails (throughout a two week span) to see if we were still having the interview. She finally responded and said she was so sorry for taking so long to get back to me and would clear her schedule for a phone interview that night. I waited that night for the interview and again she never called me. I followed up with one more email to check about the interview and never heard back from them. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

Advocate Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kipp (Camden, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

This is not a quick interview process. I originally applied for this position 1 month ago. It was in the last few days that I was contacted for a phone interview. I am in the second stage where I am asked to perform a typical tasks associated with the position. Emails for upcoming meetings with known scheduling conflicts. The next step is a in-person interview, which I assume will be with the school leader and the direct supervisor. The turn around for correspondence is not the quickest. For example I was told a decision would be made within 24hrs and I did not hear back until 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Please create emails for upcoming meetings with known scheduling conflicts.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kipp.

Interview

The interview process began with a video interview, then a phone interview. After the phone interview, I waited two weeks to be invited to the campus. When I got there I was interviewed by a panel of students, presented a sample lesson, debriefed, and completed written response questions. All in all, the most stressful interview I've had. The entire time the administration was flighty, students fought in the hallway, and all in all, the day long process was very disorganized.

Interview Questions

• If your 30 minute lesson was prepared for a 50 minute class, how long would each section of the lesson be?   Answer Question

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kipp (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a very brief to the point kind of interview, over the phone, but it felt like a conversation to be honest. Very nice recruiter, tries to make you feel comfortable in answering questions. It took only 15 minutes, asking about why I wanted to teach at KIPP, and about any experiences I had with underachieving students. I'm still waiting on a call- back .

Urban Ed Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kipp in August 2014.

Interview

Brief online interview then a 20 minute phone interview. They asked a little bit about my experience and then some personality questions. I think they accept almost everyone who applies as they took people really late into the school year. There were only like 15 people who participated last fall but it was a solid internship with good opportunities.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kipp.

Interview

Rigorous interview seeking highly motivated people for educating young people in underserved communities. The school leader of the given school will call you or ask you into the office of a formal interview and ask many standard interview questions including your past experiences inside or outside of the classroom.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kipp.

Interview

Cover letter/resume, online activity, 2 phone interviews

Interview Questions

• How do you handle yourself when you are unfamiliar with the culture you are in?   Answer Question

Elementary Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kipp.

Interview

I was recruited to teach at this school because I had several friends who work with the district. I did not submit an application.

Interview Questions

• As with most teaching jobs, you will be expected to deliver a sample lesson to a full class of students, generally for the grade level and subject in which you are seeking a position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kipp (Houston, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

-Very time consuming
    -Step 1: submit resume, cover letter, short answers to questions
    -Step 2: 45 minute phone interview with the school leader
    -Step 3: submit two years worth of previous data and a detailed analysis
    -Step 4: in person interview with school leaders
    -Step 5: 45 minute sample teaching lesson
    -Step 6: 1 hour of written scenario responses
    -Step 7: 3 references required to give about 15 minutes worth of time discussing your strengths and weaknesses
    -Step 8: offer!

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with any issues that may arise because you're a different ethnicity (white) than the community you'll be working in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kipp (Houston, TX) in April 2009.

Interview

I had one informal interview, two formal 1:1 interviews, and a sample lesson to teach for about 45 minutes; Had to show academic performance student scores (TAKS & Benchmark scores); assessments and work I had created for students; The informal interview was the first face to face encounter and was roughly 5 minutes long; The first formal interview was roughly 2 hours long (if they are interested, it should last this long, if not, the school leader will cut it off to around 20 minutes); The sample lesson came third with a follow-up feedback/interview... The school leader offered me the job a week later after checking references.

Interview Questions

• Have you applied with any other schools/districts?   Answer Question
    • What steps were taken in-between benchmarks to raise scores?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would advise visiting the campus a few times during operational hours before committing to the position, if possible. I would also advise getting as much feedback from others about the school and school leadership.