Kipp

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Teacher

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kipp.

Interview Details – Rigorous interview seeking highly motivated people for educating young people in underserved communities. The school leader of the given school will call you or ask you into the office of a formal interview and ask many standard interview questions including your past experiences inside or outside of the classroom.

Interview Question – What would you do if that didn't work?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Kipp.

Interview Details – Cover letter/resume, online activity, 2 phone interviews

Interview Question – How do you handle yourself when you are unfamiliar with the culture you are in?   Answer Question

Elementary Teacher Interview

Elementary Teacher

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kipp.

Interview Details – I was recruited to teach at this school because I had several friends who work with the district. I did not submit an application.

Interview Question – As with most teaching jobs, you will be expected to deliver a sample lesson to a full class of students, generally for the grade level and subject in which you are seeking a position.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kipp in May 2011.

Interview Details – -Very time consuming
-Step 1: submit resume, cover letter, short answers to questions
-Step 2: 45 minute phone interview with the school leader
-Step 3: submit two years worth of previous data and a detailed analysis
-Step 4: in person interview with school leaders
-Step 5: 45 minute sample teaching lesson
-Step 6: 1 hour of written scenario responses
-Step 7: 3 references required to give about 15 minutes worth of time discussing your strengths and weaknesses
-Step 8: offer!

Interview Question – How would you deal with any issues that may arise because you're a different ethnicity (white) than the community you'll be working in?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kipp in April 2009.

Interview Details – I had one informal interview, two formal 1:1 interviews, and a sample lesson to teach for about 45 minutes; Had to show academic performance student scores (TAKS & Benchmark scores); assessments and work I had created for students; The informal interview was the first face to face encounter and was roughly 5 minutes long; The first formal interview was roughly 2 hours long (if they are interested, it should last this long, if not, the school leader will cut it off to around 20 minutes); The sample lesson came third with a follow-up feedback/interview... The school leader offered me the job a week later after checking references.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I would advise visiting the campus a few times during operational hours before committing to the position, if possible. I would also advise getting as much feedback from others about the school and school leadership.

Houston, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kipp in June 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring process involved a phone interview, lesson demonstration, and a group panel interview. The interview was quite intense and involved behavioral questions that were challenging.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not much, there is a salary scale for most people.

Teacher

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kipp in May 2009.

Interview Details – KIPP uses Haberman interview questions. Usually interviews consist of pre-screening at teacher fairs/recruitment events, phone interview, Haberman interview, and then a sample teach with debriefing.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you made a mistake. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No.

Very Difficult Interview

Elementary Teacher Interview

Elementary Teacher

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Kipp in December 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview lasted 55 minutes.
Questions were:
-Describe 3 strengths and 2 areas for improvement.
-How do you define "at-risk'?
-Should teacher have same expectations for at-risk students?
-Is teacher burn-out inevitable to everyone?
-How will you prevent teacher burn-out?
-What would you do if I came in and told you to teach only the curriculum?
-If you were working here, would you go home thinking of ways to improve, even if all was going well?
-What would you do if a parent wasn't responding to notes or phone calls?
-Are all children capable of learning everything?
-Does a student have to love and respect their teacher in order to learn?
-Does a teacher have to love every student in order to teach them?

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable. You get what they give you. Usually $4000 above county salary.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Kipp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kipp interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kipp employees and interview candidates.