Kipp Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kipp (Dallas, TX).

Interview

It was a long process. I had an interview with recruiter then was invited in to meet the principal. I had to do a lesson for several classes then received feed back . I then was invited back for third interview with a panel of administrators and the teacher I was replacing (awkward)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiations.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kipp (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied through career fair. Emailed with recruiter to set up interview. The interview was about 4 hours long and went as followed; 1. Tour of school given by a student 2. Sample lesson prepared by the applicant 3. Interviewed by students 4. Coached on the lesson given 5. Observe classes going on 6. Give lesson a second time 7. Interview with school leader, AP, and recruiter Could be seen as stressful but if you have a little experience with teaching it is pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• What would you handle a disruptive student in the classroom? What do you want to contribute to the school outside of your subject?   Answer Question

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Interview

Very unprofessional. I received an email about having a phone interview less than 24 hours after submitting my application. I followed up saying I was good for an interview that day, and the recruiter never answered. I followed up with two more emails (throughout a two week span) to see if we were still having the interview. She finally responded and said she was so sorry for taking so long to get back to me and would clear her schedule for a phone interview that night. I waited that night for the interview and again she never called me. I followed up with one more email to check about the interview and never heard back from them. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

Advocate Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kipp (Camden, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

This is not a quick interview process. I originally applied for this position 1 month ago. It was in the last few days that I was contacted for a phone interview. I am in the second stage where I am asked to perform a typical tasks associated with the position. Emails for upcoming meetings with known scheduling conflicts. The next step is a in-person interview, which I assume will be with the school leader and the direct supervisor. The turn around for correspondence is not the quickest. For example I was told a decision would be made within 24hrs and I did not hear back until 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Please create emails for upcoming meetings with known scheduling conflicts.   Answer Question

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kipp (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within two days I was contacted by a recruiter via email and asked to do an online/video recorded interview -- which I had 5 days to complete. I was told within 3 business days after my online video that I would be contacted in a week. A week turned into two, in which I guess they weren't interested as I received a "Thank you BUT no thank you..we wish you the best" email. It wasn't too disappointing as it wasn't my first choice.

Interview Questions

• Please demonstrate in your teacher "character" how you would tell your class to do what is expected when they walk in the classroom talking. Please model how you would "correct" their behavior.   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kipp.

Interview

The interview process began with a video interview, then a phone interview. After the phone interview, I waited two weeks to be invited to the campus. When I got there I was interviewed by a panel of students, presented a sample lesson, debriefed, and completed written response questions. All in all, the most stressful interview I've had. The entire time the administration was flighty, students fought in the hallway, and all in all, the day long process was very disorganized.

Interview Questions

• If your 30 minute lesson was prepared for a 50 minute class, how long would each section of the lesson be?   Answer Question

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kipp (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a very brief to the point kind of interview, over the phone, but it felt like a conversation to be honest. Very nice recruiter, tries to make you feel comfortable in answering questions. It took only 15 minutes, asking about why I wanted to teach at KIPP, and about any experiences I had with underachieving students. I'm still waiting on a call- back .

Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kipp (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Took 3 weeks, did online video interview in which I record 3 minute responses to interview questions, met at KIP office and spoke to several representatives from the schools. Very positive experience. Took 3 weeks, did online video interview in which I record 3 minute responses to interview questions, met at KIP office and spoke to several representatives from the schools. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle stress of being a teacher and how you've handled difficult situations in the past.   Answer Question

offered job elsewhere

Urban Ed Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kipp in August 2014.

Interview

Brief online interview then a 20 minute phone interview. They asked a little bit about my experience and then some personality questions. I think they accept almost everyone who applies as they took people really late into the school year. There were only like 15 people who participated last fall but it was a solid internship with good opportunities.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kipp.

Interview

Rigorous interview seeking highly motivated people for educating young people in underserved communities. The school leader of the given school will call you or ask you into the office of a formal interview and ask many standard interview questions including your past experiences inside or outside of the classroom.