Kirkland & Ellis

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Engineer

Interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis

Interview Details – 2 panel interviews, a phone interview. The process is pretty painless but know everything you put on your resume. The legal field is different then many other fields and I would suggest asking about the differences.

Interview Question – None really, just know the things you put on your resume.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Interview Details – Experience was mixed. The process is time consuming - almost a month, from start to finish. HR screening, interviewing and testing all went smoothly. Testing is fairly standard: typing, proofreading, Word. HR/Support interviews went very well, everyone was extremely friendly and positive.

Attorney interviews left me wary. First one was pleasant enough, but barely had time for the interview: made multiple day of interview time changes, and then I had maybe 50% of his attention for 20 minutes tops.
Second interviewer was described by HR as "direct" - that proved to be an understatement.

Two attorneys hardly reflect a majority in a firm this size, however my experience interviewing coincides with many of the comments/observations made in Glass Door reviews by current and former Kirkland employees.

Interview Question – Nothing was really difficult, but "Tell me what you know about Kirkland" or "Who do you know at Kirkland" or "How did you come to apply at Kirkland" are all frequently occurring themes.   Answer Question

Staff Position Interview

Staff Position
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Interview Details – Brief phone interview followed by in-person interviews with HR and several people from the department (hiring manager, department head, peer). The whole process was very positive. Everyone had good things to say about the firm, the department, their jobs and their coworkers. Questions were thorough and challenging but no "trick" questions.

Interview Question – Tell me three things about Kirkland.   View Answer

Administrative Staff Interview

Administrative Staff
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had a brief initial interview with HR via phone in regards to an application I had submitted earlier in the week, and then went in for an interview with the same person two days later. I took a proofreading test, then had only one half-hour long interview. The next morning i was called in for another round with two senior members of the department for which I was interviewing. Everyone throughout the process was communicative and kind - I had a great rapport with all interviewers. The proofreading wasn't hard, per se, but in comparison to how easygoing the rest of the process was, I suppose it was difficult. They were great about answering my questions - as someone unfamiliar with the world of New York Biglaw, they were great about discussing Kirkland and it's culture. They also sold me on the opportunities to network, learn and advance while working for them.

Interview Question – The proofreading was the only slightly stressful part.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation attempted.

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

Interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis

Interview Details – Callback - 3 interviews and lunch. Very friendly. Slightly shorter than other callbacks but otherwise a typical callback.

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

I interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in September 2009.

Interview Details – I met with a good mix of Associates and Partners. It seemed like a great place to work. Everyone seemed very enthusiastic about their jobs and eager to contribute. The free-market system probably is not for everyone, but it is a great way to experience all areas of the firm. I ended up taking an offer in another city, but I would have gone with Kirkland otherwise.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Ended up going to another city

Project Assistant Interview

Project Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in November 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted employee referral and was asked to interview the following week. Attended interview with two managers. One was more interested in my background and my work ethic, and the other was more interested in my personality and looking to see if I was a good fit with the people, as we spend most time in small teams.

Interview Question – Asked whether Law School was where I wanted to end up.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate an offer as I had no experience in the field.

Project Assistant Interview

Project Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very generic interview process. Typical Character Questions are asked along with some questions about extracurricular activities. There was a good amount of emphasis on why you wanted to do this job and where you see yourself in two-five years.

Interview Question – Please do this timed grammar test.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation phase, this is the salary, take it or leave it.

Conflicts Analyst Interview

Conflicts Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was referred by an employee. A month later I received at email from a recruiter for a possible phone interview. I had the phone interview the next day. She asked basic questions about my work experience and why I was interested in law. At the end, she scheduled me for an in-person interview the next week.

I arrived for the interview and took a basic proofreading test. It was a little tricky in that you don't know what writing format they're using (Chicago, MLA, APA, all have different rules), but if you use common sense and know how to write you should pass it easily, although apparently most people don't the first time. I passed the test and sat down for an interview with HR again. She went over the same questions again and told me everyone I would be meeting with that afternoon. I then met with the director of the department. He was very friendly, and it was much more conversational than I anticipated. I met with two supervisors after him who answered my questions about the position. I might have been too probing (I was worried that the position wasn't challenging enough and with that many hours I wanted to be interested in the work), but they were very friendly and answered everything with good humor. Lastly I met with another analyst who was also very friendly and reassuring. Overall, the interview was much more of a conversation and getting to meet everyone than an interview, which probably didn't work in my favor.

I followed up with the recruiter afterwards twice, and I never received a reply. A little over a month later I received a letter in the mail (regular mail) saying that they had other candidates who were better fit.

Interview Question – How would the person who likes you least describe you?   Answer Question

Benefits Analyst Interview

Benefits Analyst

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in November 2012.

Interview Details – I had a negative interview experience for the Benefits Analyst. After the interview, I did not hear back from the Company. I contacted the recruiter and the hiring manager several times, left a couple of voicemails and no response.
I am surprised of such unprofessional recruitment process. It’s the industry standard to notify the applicants (at least those who made it to the phone or in-person interview) of the status. Such disrespect is unacceptable.

Interview Question – What qualities do you like in your boss?   Answer Question

Worked for Kirkland & Ellis? Contribute to the Community!