Kirkland & Ellis

Updated Jan 7, 2015
Updated Jan 7, 2015

2.9

Legal Secretary Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Applied for the job online and within a few hours, I received a phone call to schedule the initial telephone interview. Received another call shortly thereafter for the face-to-face interview.

Legal Assistant I Interview

I found it to be very organized and efficient. You meet with a handful of more senior legal assistants in various groups. The ask you questions about your availability and attitude for overtime, working on weekends, etc. Everyone had different questions, but they were all very pleasant and willing to answer any questions.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of the questions to be particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in November 2014.

I think the hiring process (up to a point) is excellent. It is objective and solely based upon your qualifications which are determined by your resume, your telephone interview with the Chicago office, your test scores, and interview with the local Office Manager. It failed for me at the local interview level with the attorneys. My "outstanding qualifications and resume" did not matter at this point. They determined in 20 minutes (10 minutes for each attorney) that I was not the correct candidate. I was disappointed because this would have been the first position that I have ever earned based solely upon my qualifications and skills.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience taking care of personal business for an attorney.   View Answer

Corporate Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Extensive testing and interviews - minimum of 4 hours of time spent. After seeing K&E advertise for this position for almost a year now, I am convinced that the position may not exist.

Engineer Interview

2 panel interviews, a phone interview. The process is pretty painless but know everything you put on your resume. The legal field is different then many other fields and I would suggest asking about the differences.

Interview Questions
    • None really, just know the things you put on your resume.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Experience was mixed. The process is time consuming - almost a month, from start to finish. HR screening, interviewing and testing all went smoothly. Testing is fairly standard: typing, proofreading, Word. HR/Support interviews went very well, everyone was extremely friendly and positive.

Attorney interviews left me wary. First one was pleasant enough, but barely had time for the interview: made multiple day of interview time changes, and then I had maybe 50% of his attention for 20 minutes tops.
    Second interviewer was described by HR as "direct" - that proved to be an understatement.

Two attorneys hardly reflect a majority in a firm this size, however my experience interviewing coincides with many of the comments/observations made in Glass Door reviews by current and former Kirkland employees.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult, but "Tell me what you know about Kirkland" or "Who do you know at Kirkland" or "How did you come to apply at Kirkland" are all frequently occurring themes.   Answer Question

Conflicts Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in July 2014.

I initially received a call and an email from an HR contact asking that I call her for the initial screening. At the end, she invited me to come into the office for a full interview, and notified me of the proofreading task. You have to get an 80% on it (allowed two attempts) in order to continue to the next part of the interview. I don't think you really need to study for the proofreading portion. I just reviewed grammar rules the day before and passed on the test on the first try. The second portion was of the interview consisted of talking to the HR contact, an analyst, and the manager of the conflicts department separately. The interview was pretty standard. Not too difficult. Just talked about skills and things on my resume. The two conflicts people were very casual, whereas the HR person was more formal.

Staff Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Kirkland & Ellis.

Brief phone interview followed by in-person interviews with HR and several people from the department (hiring manager, department head, peer). The whole process was very positive. Everyone had good things to say about the firm, the department, their jobs and their coworkers. Questions were thorough and challenging but no "trick" questions.

Administrative Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kirkland & Ellis in November 2013.

I had a brief initial interview with HR via phone in regards to an application I had submitted earlier in the week, and then went in for an interview with the same person two days later. I took a proofreading test, then had only one half-hour long interview. The next morning i was called in for another round with two senior members of the department for which I was interviewing. Everyone throughout the process was communicative and kind - I had a great rapport with all interviewers. The proofreading wasn't hard, per se, but in comparison to how easygoing the rest of the process was, I suppose it was difficult. They were great about answering my questions - as someone unfamiliar with the world of New York Biglaw, they were great about discussing Kirkland and it's culture. They also sold me on the opportunities to network, learn and advance while working for them.

Interview Questions
    • The proofreading was the only slightly stressful part.   Answer Question
    No negotiation attempted.

Summer Associate Interview

Callback - 3 interviews and lunch. Very friendly. Slightly shorter than other callbacks but otherwise a typical callback.