Kirksey

Relevance Date Difficulty

General Architecture Intern Position Interview

General Architecture Intern Position
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kirksey in May 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online through their website. it was not for a specifically advertised position, but rather i respected their company and wanted them to have my resume. I was contacted by email to set up interview. The office is very impressive place and the interview was quite organized. Just before the formal interview process, a staff member toured me around the office (which is pretty big office). As i toured, the employees generally didn't want to say hi or talk, which seemed a bit weird. I also remember that the age distribution of the office seemed to be overly skewed towards the recent graduate end of the spectrum. This to me implies a place that is next to impossible to move up without highly subjective favoritism being involved.

From the tour I was seated in a conference room in the front. A group of higher ups from different departments all showed up and seemed genuinely curious (i'd say about 6 people total). They asked, in so many words, what division I was interested in working for (science & tech, healthcare, commercial, etc). My honest and realistic answer is that I do not have a particular "division" i am most interested in - its more about being a part of such a company. They were a bit turned off by this, which was unfortunate. I knew I wasn't probably telling them what they want they are used to hearing from intern level candidates, but i also knew that i wasn't feeding them garbage. I was being real and honest, and im pretty sure they all related too, and yet they didn't appreciate the genuine no nonsense approach. If you want to work there, be prepared to deliver the ridiculous corporate spiel whether you believe it or not. Despite that, the entire group seemed very friendly except for the individual in charge of their sustainability division. He seemed to have somewhat of a snobby attitude. The science and tech guy wasn't rude per se, but didn't hide the fact that i was wasting my time with him and had no interest. When someone drives hours to go interview, i think they deserve more respect and interest.

Despite this, as i said most of the people in the room were very pleasant. I know from other means that the office has a nice work culture.

I arrived with probably unreasonably high regard for the company which is not fair for them to live up to. Nonetheless it is an interesting place and surely worthwhile for job seekers.

Interview Question – which division of the company do you want to work for. On surface it seems like a reasonable question, but in the eyes of a recent graduate interviewing for an intern position - i would be lying if I had any basis to give a good answer to that.. and they should know that.   View Answer

Worked for Kirksey? Contribute to the Community!