Kirkwood Community College

Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kirkwood Community College

Analyst Interview

Phone and in-person interview. In person interview was normal as was the telephone interview. Only part I did not expect was a writing assignment I was to complete while the others waited. Did not get much feedback on it or my interview. I would apply and interview here again, everyone was friendly and professional.

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kirkwood Community College in June 2010.

Interview panel

Instructor English Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied online - interviewed at Kirkwood Community College in March 2012.

The country has far more people with English MAs and PhDs than it does fulltime teaching position, so the competition is intense. I applied three years running for FT while teaching PT. Three step process begins with being invited to submit a teaching portfolio--philosophy, lesson plans, video of me in classroom (OR you can do it live for committee members), published work (although KCC is really teaching-centered.)
        Second round is a phone interview, which was a little weird since I see most of the committee members 3 days per week. However, they were trying to create an even playing field for the external candidates. (One ESL insructor was did his face-to-face interview via Skype from a hotel room in Lima, since he was teaching in a little Peruvian town.) I never made it to the face-to-face myself.

Interview Questions
    • KCC wants to know about your racial attitudes, because we have so many minority students (both ESL and recently inner-city African Americans from Chicago, St. Louis, etc.) I can't remember the wording, but the jist of it was--"how do we know you are working on your racial hangups?"   View Answer

Worked for Kirkwood Community College? Contribute to the Community!