Kixeye

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.8

Devops Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kixeye.

There was an initial phone screening with HR, a phone interview with the hiring manager, and an on-site interview with three people (one at a time) on the devops team. HR is extremely helpful and friendly and the team was pleasant to talk to. Technical questions were trivial, but the team seemed to have unreasonably high expectations of prior experience for an internship position.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kixeye in May 2014.

I was promoted from within the company. I started as a Customer Support Specialist. The interview process had three steps.

1. Phone interview
    2. Was emailed sampled tickets and I needed to respond to them as best I could.
    3. Five half hour interviews with various managers and game leads throughout the company.

Interview Questions
    • What super power would you like to have?   View Answer
    It was a pretty standard starting pay and was the same as everyone else in that role. While it was a nice starting wage I don't think it was negotiable at all.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Kixeye.

A lot of talk about the technical environment, which is normal, followed by a meeting with various founders who were a bit out to lunch, which was not. It was made very clear that theirs is a culture of high turnover, intense pressure, and applicants are expected to perform.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question to answer was "why do I want to work here?" I'm not that "in" to the games industry, and outside of that, it seemed a very intense work schedule-- weeks in excess of 60 hours were cited as common.   Answer Question

The offer was below market rate, and the hours were insane.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kixeye.

Often times there will be a several rounds of stakeholders in your position. This will involve everyone from fellow co-workers, senior co-workers, and product managers. They will go over your UX Wireframes and question you on process. Be sure to show how you arrive at your wireframes and have in-depth reasoning on your decisions and be ready to back up design choices and be proposed alternative solutions or requirements.

KIXEYE is strongly looking for UX Designers with an understanding for mobile devices. This involves touch interfaces, use case scenarios, and an understanding of common practices in the competitive market.

Interview Questions
    • It is most difficult to find candidates with a clear understanding of the differences in mobile game players, demographics, and use cases. While each interviewer has a certain amount of bias or experience in mobile, being able to express your knowledge and experience on mobile users is critical to getting a job.   Answer Question

Senior Server Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

2 recruiters contact you, which makes the process a bit confusing because they dont mention each other and it sounds like they are reruiting for different positions.

First is a technical phone screen.
    Second is a coding challenge.
    Third is another phone screen.
    Fourth is an onsite that lasts longer than they tell you(I was told 2 hrs, ended up meeting more people and the process dragged to 3.5 hrs).

The final step is a scheduled call with the CTO, which a third recruiter kept delaying. Never heard from them again so it looks like they found someone else.

Interview Questions
    • they have you sign an NDA before entering the floor and you may not be allowed to see the floor you would be working at as an engineer for some reason.   Answer Question

Analytics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kixeye.

First I was contacted by a recruiter (obviously). After discussing what KIXEYE has available, I interviewed for an Analytics Engineering position.

The first step with them was a coding challenge. You're emailed a problem and given 24 hours to complete it (it's a non-trivial program you have to write, make sure you pick a good time).

After that, I talked with the team lead and architect in a phone interview to get a good idea of the culture of the team. It was pretty non-technical (since I'd just written a full program for them I suppose).

Afterwards, there was an on-site interview with most of the team and the director. This was also pretty non-technical. There was almost no code writing. Most technical questions were of the general algorithms kind (e.g. binary search, sorting, trees). I spent a good amount of time just talking about video games and other hobbies we shared.

Overall, I found the interview process to be extremely easy. However, I just happened to have the *exact* skillset they were looking for at the time.

Interview Questions
    • Write an address book application (complete with a database and a GUI) in 24 hours.   Answer Question
    KIXEYE will low-ball you. Don't accept it. Be sure the check the average salary for your position and demand that. The initial stock vesting schedule was also absurdly long.

Data Analyst Interview

Phone screen/excel assignment/ 2 hr in person

In person interviewers were rude and unprofessional. First interviewer was a bit strange... kept talking about his background as a waiter. The worst is the data scientist who swore a lot and kept muttering comments to himself. Half his questions were rude and it totally distracted me. A few SQL questions, matrixes and personal questions. The whole analytics team seemed a bit haphazardly put together with different backgrounds that I kept wondering about.

interesting side facts: In the lobby, they have a dude with a gun (literally!!) making you sign an NDA on an ipad. Receptionist with way too many piercings tells me to sit without glancing up.

Senior DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kixeye in September 2013.

Two phone screens, two Skypes with team members, then on-site interview with operations staff. Drove all the way to CA for some much-needed vacation and was told the culture was laid-back and needed ops folks. Hiring manager was fired, did not get an offer. Awful experience, but got to experience Oakland and the Bay Area.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical network routing questions and a lot of questions asked about prior work I had done. Trick questions from the last guy ( tech lead ) that on most days where I work would take a twenty second google search. Lots of trivia from what seemed like a junior to mid-level ops team. They were looking for someone more familiar with the Puppet framework - I'm a CFEngine guy currently. They don't have time or processes in place for training, so they needed someone to hit the ground running. Open work area - not a fan. No cubicles at all, but there are "interview rooms". Young hipster gamer culture.   Answer Question

Server Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kixeye in August 2013.

Went through several phone interviews with HR and Hiring manager, then was interviewed by 4 people on Skype. After that I was flown to Kixeye for in person interviews. Met with around 12 people over 6 hours, all were extremely talented and smart people. At the end of the day was told I was very much liked and they will proceed forward. Returned home and was told I would need to do a skype interview with a director. The interview went really well, was told that he will get back to HR and get the ball rolling on an offer. Got a call later that night, saying they wanted to do one more call with an executive. Did the call several days later, about a day later I was informed that they would not make an offer.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kixeye in June 2013.

Email with an assignment: To play one of two games, develop a simple model to describe user engagement. Suggest a few things that might improve engagement and how this might be implemented and verified. Then take the attached data set and draw at least one key insight from it. Put this report in 10 slides or less.

After slides were submitted and reviewed they scheduled a phone interview with another analyst in the company. I've been in dozens of these over the last few months but this one was the most confrontational. Interviewer did not have my slides in front of him nor did he seem to know what they were, yet repeatedly asked how I would change the exact game I was assigned to analyze.