Klout

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Senior Lead Generation Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Klout in August 2012.

Interview Details – I originally applied for a position at Klout about 6 months ago and heard back from the recruiter about a month ago. He asked me if I was still interested in any opportunities at Klout, to which I told him that I was -- specifically in sales or marketing. Lo, and behold, a senior sales associate position opened up and I had a 20 minute phone screening with him. It was a typical preliminary background check to see if you have any applicable online experience (which I did). I made it to the next step where I spoke with the hiring manager. The call was about 30 minutes or so which was expected and revolved around the typical questions asked of potential salespeople (how do you prospect, how would you train someone else for this position, etc.).

The call went really well but the last question kinda got me..."Pretend you are a salesperson and have the CEO of a major brand on the line...How do you pitch Klout -- or yourself -- to them in 30 seconds?" I wasn't really prepared for that question and almost had the visions of meeting with VCs for some sort of business plan and only having 30 seconds to do it. I gave my answer -- which I feel was serviceable -- and was told that it was a good answer. After that, the hiring manager told me he had to go soon but asked if I had any questions, which I did. I can't seem to recall now what I asked specifically but I believe they were good questions. I asked about the company culture and what they do for fun to get a sense of what the work envionment is like there and it seems like it's a pretty young culture and they like to go out and have fun when they're not working together...which is always great for a company.

I heard back from the recruiter about a week later that it was a no-go on the position but that they'd keep my resume on file. I replied back to him asking why that was the case and -- for a company that's as buzzed about and probably busy as Klout -- he actually responded! He gave me a straight answer letting me know that they decided to go with other people that were basically pure sales guys their whole career -- which made a lot of sense -- as I've had more experience doing marketing than sales and let me know that they'd keep my resume on file for any openings in the future. It was very nice of him to reply back and at least let me know that, when that didn't have to be the case. I thanked him for letting me know...and that was that.

As a whole, Klout seems like a great company that -- although controversial -- is headed by a guy who seems to be the total antithesis of the type of guy you would think heads up a company that judges how influential you are online. If anything, it's probably Joe's laid-back everyman appeal that makes people trust what Klout is doing and as, a whole, they are definitely a company to watch in the future.

Not a bad experience overall as I learned a lot!

Interview Question – See above.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Klout? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Klout Senior Lead Generation Specialist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Klout employees and interview candidates.