Kmart Hardlines Merchandiser Interview Questions

1.3

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fredericksburg, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Kmart in June 2014.

They walked me to a training room with two computers, the assistant manager came in and put in a DVD it was about the history of the company and various customer scenarios, about 45 mins later she came back in and had us (yes their were two other people being interviewed as well) fill out some paperwork regarding release forms and emergency contacts and such, then the manager came in and introduced himself, he then asked what schools we went to, or what we did in life, after 30 or so minutes he then left and the assistant manager came back in to take us on a "tour" of K-mart, it was so short, yet so boring she made it seem like if it was the dullest job in the world. Afterwards we all went back to the room to let her say welcome to the team and we were dismissed, we were hired on the spot; the whole interview had taken 3 hours.

Non-negotable

Other Interview Reviews for Kmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Kmart in May 2014.

I had initially applied for a cashier job, but the HR manager asked me to fill out an app for Hardlines as I was a better fit there. The interview was very friendly. She asked the basic questions and laughed when I joked about my answers. She seemed to have made up her mind to hire me about halfway through the interview, but we still completed the whle thing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Iron Mountain, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iron Mountain, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Kmart in May 2012.

Super casual, asked 3 questions and was hired on the spot

Hardline Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Marshall, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marshall, MN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Kmart in October 2013.

I had one interview with the store manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Valley City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Valley City, UT

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Kmart in February 2013.

The interview process was fairly straightforward for me. I was a sales associate at Sears in the electronics department. My store was being switched from a Sears to a Kmart in an attempt to make more money. Because I was already employed at Sears, and Kmart and Sears are the same company, I was told that I would be given a job if I would like one. No interviews of any kind were necessary.

Interview Questions
    • How have you contributed to the store while you have been employed?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hayward, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kmart in November 2013.

Since I was applying for my first job there, the first question was:
    What do you think it takes to work for retail? Answer: The customer is the priority and you always have to accommodate them no matter what objective your manager gives you.

then:
    Have you ever filled in for anyone? Yes (then I explained a time when I did)
    When are you available?
    Do you have any type of experience in volunteer work? Yes (then I took my time explaining what volunteer work I did so that it seemed like a lot when it was only like 3 things and I explained my responsibilities)
    Have you ever have to deal with another worker's misbehavior?
    Do you have any goals?
    Do you mind getting feedback from people about how you work?

Then they offered me the job. the interview was like 30 min long. I had to do a drug test and get my work permit. After the drug test I got like 3 emails explaining the next step and I had to fill out electronic forms. then I was done. All of this took about a week and a half, then I went to orientation (3 hours of watching videos about policies) and they also give you your first week's schedule there too. You get paid for orientation also. They paid me $8/hour and they gave me 4 hours worth of pay when it only took 3.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever have to deal with another worker's behavior?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waite Park, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waite Park, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kmart in June 2012.

Soon after submitting an application I got a call from my local Kmart. I was set up with an interview with the HR lead. The interview mainly consisted of what would you do in these situations or how have you handled them before. The one I went to gave two interviews. The first one with HR and the second with the store manager. (I actually had mine with the assistant manager which I'm assuming is because they normally call you back after the first interview. For me they gave it to me right after the first one and the store manager wasn't in.)

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions and that made for no difficult ones. Very straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Torrington, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrington, CT

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Kmart in May 2013.

The application program was simple, and is set up so that if you apply for one position it will auto-fill for any subsequent positions you apply to. I received a call back the next day from the hiring manager to set up an interview. When I went in, the manager I spoke to was friendly and welcoming, quickly setting me at ease with her demeanor and bearing. Most companies want to know what their prospective employees long-term goals are, but this was the first interview where my answer was actually received and taken into consideration. after discussing my long-term goals, the manager recommended a different job within the company that would put me in a better place to fulfill my goals, and I was sent home from the interview with instructions to apply for that position, and was told that once i'd done so she would call with the job offer. When I called the next day we started the paperwork to finalize my hiring and within 1 week of my initial application i started work.

Interview Questions
    • Which of these positions would you be happiest in?   View Answer

Hardlines Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kmart.

The application process was extremely easy. After applying online, I was given a phone call and asked to come in for an interview. The interview was run of the mill verification of my application and at the end she literally said, "As long as you didn't say something totally crazy during this interview, you had the job," and then I was hired on the spot (and she started me at 30 hours, amazingly high given that this was my first job).

Interview Questions
    I told her that I wanted Sunday mornings off and while initially she forgot, once I reminded her, she made sure to include it in the schedule.

Hardlines Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kmart.

Very basic interview. I think they mostly look to see if you have a pulse.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic interview questions, none are difficult or creative.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, you accept or don't.

Worked for Kmart? Contribute to the Community!