Knewton

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.2

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Knewton.

Found out about Knewton through career fair and applied directly through recruiter. Friendly people, pretty smooth interview. Had an initial challenge handed to me, a coding challenge made to take around 4 hours. After that, was offered a phone interview. The final step (I presume) was a 3-4 hours Skype session with back to back interviews with 4 employees. Three technical interviews, one culture fit.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, although the initial coding challenge did take a good few hours.   Answer Question

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Knewton in September 2014.

Its an easy interview, with some basic questions about java programming. Then all about what does automation perform better then manual test. They asked me how to test a vending machine and when you need to choose automation test rather than manual test. Later, he asked about my resume and the career path of me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how to test a vending machine.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Knewton in September 2014.

Talked to some employees at a career fair. They liked me and gave me a USB with a coding challenge on it. Completed it in 2 or 3 hours and then forwarded it to the team. They answered back asking for my resume. When I sent that to them I then experienced radio silence. When I reached out to HR and recruiting to check up on the process I never received an answer

Interview Questions
    • Coding challenge consisted of a list of user band likes and finding bands that appear on users its together more than N amount of times.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Internship Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Knewton.

I was first sent a coding challenge that involved finding pairs of names that appeared in a text file, and was given about a day to complete it. Then there was a coding interview over the phone with screen sharing, just asking me to do simple things like pick a random element from a list and improve it's performance.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find a random non-null element from an array of 10 million, where most elements are null, in a reasonable amount of time. AKA don't just go through one by one searching until you find an element that's not null, how could you do this. It was more of a thinking interview than one with specific questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

In-person first round interview. Interviewer was very nice and encouraging. The company seemed like it had a relaxing atmosphere. The interview was typical of technical interviews with coding questions. Was also asked a graph-theory type question.

Interview Questions
    • Write a method that returns true if a number is a palindrome.   View Answer

Client Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Knewton in September 2013.

It took a month to initially hear back about the resume I submitted. After I reached out through LinkedIn, email and phone, they finally set up an interview. I went through 2 phone interviews and 4 in person interviews. I told them I thought it was excessive, but they wanted me to come in for another interview. I met about 10% of the company, and they still wanted me to talk to the CEO for final approval. A company of this size should NOT be having the CEO make hiring decisions. After telling them that I thought the process was excessive, they responded that they'd be passing on me as an option for the position. This was after being told all along that I was great for the position. If this reflects how the company is managed, then I'm glad I was not hired there.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see any difficulties in the Client Manager position?   View Answer

Content Expert Interview

Applied online and received an email for a phone interview. Then had an assignment to do over the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Had to complete what seemed like lesson plans based on their format.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and they contacted me through e-mail by assigning me a coding challenge.

Interview Questions
    • None, just a simple coding challenge and I was given the weekend.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Knewton in February 2013.

The hiring process is pretty straightforward:
    - Write a program on your own time to solve the problem they provide. Choose your favorite language and provide them with the code and instructions how to compile/run it.
    - Have a phone interview with an engineer. The interview is pretty technical, so prepare to write code on a shared editor. Also prepare to answer general questions about your resume and your interests (software related).
    - Onsite interview has 4-5 different interviews. Mine had 5. The questions ranged from method implementations to problem solving to system design.

Be prepared to answer questions on the whole spectrum of software development. Your are expected at one time or another to work on all those parts, which is the fun part about joining a company like Knewton.

Overall the experience was very pleasant. The people I interviewed with were very nice, and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the culture there.

Software Engineer Interview

first round - in person, was asked to do some simple list manipulation and implement the sieve of eratosthenes on paper
    coding challenge - received a text file with favorite artists of 1000 LastFM users, told to write a program to find pairs of artists appearing in >50 users
    phone interview - on collabedit: Kadane's algorithm, list flattening
    in person - 5 hours, lots of whiteboarding

Interview Questions
    • We pick two numbers a and b, so that 99 ≥ a ≥ b ≥ 2. We tell Mr. P. the product a × b and Mr. S. the sum a + b. Then Mr. S. and Mr. P. engage in the following dialog:

Mr. P.: I don’t know the numbers.

Mr. S.: I knew you didn’t know. I don’t know either.

Mr. P.: Now I know the numbers.

Mr. S.: Now I know them too.

Find the numbers a and b.
        View Answer