Knewton Interview Questions

3.6

Software Engineering Internship Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Knewton.

I was first sent a coding challenge that involved finding pairs of names that appeared in a text file, and was given about a day to complete it. Then there was a coding interview over the phone with screen sharing, just asking me to do simple things like pick a random element from a list and improve it's performance.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find a random non-null element from an array of 10 million, where most elements are null, in a reasonable amount of time. AKA don't just go through one by one searching until you find an element that's not null, how could you do this. It was more of a thinking interview than one with specific questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

In-person first round interview. Interviewer was very nice and encouraging. The company seemed like it had a relaxing atmosphere. The interview was typical of technical interviews with coding questions. Was also asked a graph-theory type question.

Interview Questions
    • Write a method that returns true if a number is a palindrome.   View Answer

Client Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Knewton in September 2013.

It took a month to initially hear back about the resume I submitted. After I reached out through LinkedIn, email and phone, they finally set up an interview. I went through 2 phone interviews and 4 in person interviews. I told them I thought it was excessive, but they wanted me to come in for another interview. I met about 10% of the company, and they still wanted me to talk to the CEO for final approval. A company of this size should NOT be having the CEO make hiring decisions. After telling them that I thought the process was excessive, they responded that they'd be passing on me as an option for the position. This was after being told all along that I was great for the position. If this reflects how the company is managed, then I'm glad I was not hired there.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see any difficulties in the Client Manager position?   View Answer

Content Expert Interview

Applied online and received an email for a phone interview. Then had an assignment to do over the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Had to complete what seemed like lesson plans based on their format.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and they contacted me through e-mail by assigning me a coding challenge.

Interview Questions
    • None, just a simple coding challenge and I was given the weekend.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Knewton in February 2013.

The hiring process is pretty straightforward:
    - Write a program on your own time to solve the problem they provide. Choose your favorite language and provide them with the code and instructions how to compile/run it.
    - Have a phone interview with an engineer. The interview is pretty technical, so prepare to write code on a shared editor. Also prepare to answer general questions about your resume and your interests (software related).
    - Onsite interview has 4-5 different interviews. Mine had 5. The questions ranged from method implementations to problem solving to system design.

Be prepared to answer questions on the whole spectrum of software development. Your are expected at one time or another to work on all those parts, which is the fun part about joining a company like Knewton.

Overall the experience was very pleasant. The people I interviewed with were very nice, and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the culture there.

Software Engineer Interview

first round - in person, was asked to do some simple list manipulation and implement the sieve of eratosthenes on paper
    coding challenge - received a text file with favorite artists of 1000 LastFM users, told to write a program to find pairs of artists appearing in >50 users
    phone interview - on collabedit: Kadane's algorithm, list flattening
    in person - 5 hours, lots of whiteboarding

Interview Questions
    • We pick two numbers a and b, so that 99 ≥ a ≥ b ≥ 2. We tell Mr. P. the product a × b and Mr. S. the sum a + b. Then Mr. S. and Mr. P. engage in the following dialog:

Mr. P.: I don’t know the numbers.

Mr. S.: I knew you didn’t know. I don’t know either.

Mr. P.: Now I know the numbers.

Mr. S.: Now I know them too.

Find the numbers a and b.
        View Answer

Non-Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Knewton in April 2011.

Phone interview with in-house recruiter followed by 1:1 interviews spread out over a period of two days. Process was typical of most interviews. Office is conveniently located in Union Square. No surprises or logic tests. The product has a lot of promise but nearly everyone I spoke with seemed uninspired, aggressive and selfish.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but interviewers seemed to respond more positively to traditional answers.   Answer Question

Lack of cultural fit: this is an unremarkable, quickly growing company with a strongly corporate-ish background. At one point, one of the interviewers said some nasty things about another and I often felt that I was being lied to throughout the interview. Not the right fit for me but maybe for others.

Worked for Knewton? Contribute to the Community!