Knight Capital

3.2

Entry Level Quantitative Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Knight Capital in June 2012.

I contacted Knight directly and they responded very quickly with an exam. I worked diligently on the exam during the nights and weekends for two weeks to complete it with clarity (I have another day job). Half way through I emailed to inform them of my progress and to expect my solutions in a few days. They replied encouragingly and said take as much time as you need. After two weeks total I turned the exam in. 13 pages of math, coding and description for 4 questions. They responded within 3 hours with one sentence reading something like... your answers are incomplete and not what we are looking for (how is that for vague?). Last I checked there is not a lot of subjectivity when it comes to math, either it is correct (and "what your looking for") or wrong. I'm pretty sure most of it was right since it was for the most part, canned.

They must have been waiting patiently for my email all that time to really look at what I prepared and respond so quickly.

In a nut shell I wasted two weeks. I asked for at least some constructive criticism given the amount of effort I put forth. No such luck.

Very disappointing. They should not give tests to people if they aren't going to look at them for more than 5 minutes.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Knight Capital in June 2012.

Two interviews. First one with their recruiter, talked about some general things and why I'm interested in finance. The second one was an all-round phone interview with algorithms, coding and probability questions. In the end they did not think I fit the position well.I did not have the calculator handy to calculate the expected reward exactly (see below).

Interview Questions
    • How much would you pay to play this game? You have a fair coin. You get heads you win $1 and can continue to play. You get tails, you collect your winnings ans stop the game.

Second question. Now what if the winnings double each time you get heads.

View Answers (2)

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in May 2012.

30 minutes technical interview over phone. Followed by face to face interview met with 4 people. Followed by another face to face interview with Sr Management, chief technology officer and Human Resource personnel,

Electronic Trading Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

The process took a dayinterviewed at Knight Capital in January 2012.

Interview consisted of several 1:1 interviews on-site. Questions were standard mix of quantitative and non-quantitative. They seemed smart but the interview process was not handled professionally. There was no receptionist and I was not provided information about where in the office to physically meet the interviewer so I had to ask several people around the office. There was a considerable amount of time spent waiting between interviews in a conference room due to poor scheduling and I spent at least 1.5 hours in aggregate waiting between interviews, being told every 30 minutes that the next interview would being shortly. The final interviewer briefly apologized but I was very disappointed with the lack of professionalism.

Trading Operationist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in January 2012.

The interviewer was very nice, giving me suggestions and hints.

however it seems we miscommunicated before hand, and i originally was applying for the software engineer intern yet ended in the trading operationist position, which resulted in my expected tragedy...

i was asked various questions on math, like hidden markov model, probability, combinatorics,

and then i guess out of kindness the interviewer figuratively asked me some VERY simple coding questions...

then the interview ended.

Interview Questions
    • how to reduce the number of states in a hidden markov model? (actually i dunno what this question means...)   Answer Question
    • given a dice, you can throw it at most thrice unti you feel satisfied with the number. design a strategy so that the expected value of the last throw is biggest. (a relatively easy question)   View Answer
    • pros and cons of hashtable (very easy, the purpose of this question is only to let me feel not that embarrased)   View Answer
    • unix shell commands like grep diff (very easy, the purpose of this question is only to let me feel not that embarrased)   Answer Question
    • also there are some EXTRA HARD math problems that i can't even remember now....   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

The process took a dayinterviewed at Knight Capital in December 2011.

Went on this interview through a recruiter. I arrived 10 minutes prior, asked for the hiring manager who they seem to have trouble reaching. Finally they told me to take the elevator up arrived at the IT but door was locked. Someone was nice enough to let me in. No sign of hiring manager. 5 minutes later, he comes and gets me. It did not seem like they interview people much since they did not have a conference room or office available to interview. We finally ended up in an office that was like Arizona in the middle of the Summer. The hiring manager asked about experience and asked some technical questions. From the questions, it was clear that they were using J2EE circa 2001... going from JSP/Servlets to Struts 1.x. From there is was clear this job not for me. A lead developer came in looking sloppy, miserable and gave me a dead fish handshake. This was my first interview in quite some time and used it to bone up on interviewing skills otherwise would have walked out.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in October 2011.

The interview was got from the university career center. First it was a phone interview, basically about what you can do according to the job description. Not really hard questions. The second interview was at the company building, about basic Java knowledge; SQL syntax, database knowledge, differences with other languages.

Interview Questions
    • What are the differences with Java and C, OO and structural programming.   Answer Question

Associate, Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in April 2011.

I interviewed in their Jersey City office, the HQ. The interview consisted of 2 stages:
    #1 was to meet with the actual team, about 5 people, who were asking questions about operations, about what I did in the past. No trick questions, you should be able to talk about these things freely if you have experience.
    #2 interview was a week later to meet with HR and 2 senior managers (including head of electronic trading). The interview seemed out of place because I wouldn't imagine why senior people in such a big company need to waste time on interviewing every single candidate. That's why the interview was dragging, it was hard to keep conversation on professional level.

Interview Questions
    • How much money were you making? How much money do you want to make? (same question on screening, 1st and 2nd interview)   Answer Question

Seems like Operations team is ran by real back office people, did not see any passion, energy or interest in markets. The only thing the team cares about is reducing costs, saving money, etc.
    The salary they offered was offensive, completely out of the market. So it was basically big waste of my time because even before the interview I stated that I want to make X much. They try to trick you by "giving you all the Series licenses you want", but at the end of the day this does not pay rent. Also the location is very far from the city.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Knight Capital in July 2010.

Core Java, Multithreading Oracle

GC process , longterm salary

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Knight Capital in May 2010.

Skill test was consisting of programs, related to data structures and algorithms.