Knight Capital

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in June 2013.

Contacted by HR.

Scheduled the interview.

Met with 4 associates, and 1 director.

Heard back in one week.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Knight Capital in May 2013.

phone screen.
    How hashmap works.
    difference between interface and abstract class.
    walk through linked list, using double pointer.

Quantitative Strategist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Knight Capital in April 2013.

Written test/ 3 1-hour-long phone interviews / On-site interview.

Written test was not that hard and the rest of interviews are pretty similar to other hedge funds. They will ask Probability, Programming Questions

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in August 2012.

Two technical phone interviews then in-person interview. On the first phone interview, interviewer asked about randomly positioned points on a circle, then to step through an analysis of Buffon's Needle. On the second phone interview, interviewer asked about a gambling game which was sort-of inverse Prisoner's Dilemma with repeated playings

Interview Questions
    • Buffon's needle. I was familiar with it and still had a lot of trouble walking through the analysis.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Knight Capital in June 2012.

Two interviews. First one with their recruiter, talked about some general things and why I'm interested in finance. The second one was an all-round phone interview with algorithms, coding and probability questions. In the end they did not think I fit the position well.I did not have the calculator handy to calculate the expected reward exactly (see below).

Interview Questions
    • How much would you pay to play this game? You have a fair coin. You get heads you win $1 and can continue to play. You get tails, you collect your winnings ans stop the game.

Second question. Now what if the winnings double each time you get heads.

View Answers (2)

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in May 2012.

30 minutes technical interview over phone. Followed by face to face interview met with 4 people. Followed by another face to face interview with Sr Management, chief technology officer and Human Resource personnel,

Trading Operationist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in January 2012.

The interviewer was very nice, giving me suggestions and hints.

however it seems we miscommunicated before hand, and i originally was applying for the software engineer intern yet ended in the trading operationist position, which resulted in my expected tragedy...

i was asked various questions on math, like hidden markov model, probability, combinatorics,

and then i guess out of kindness the interviewer figuratively asked me some VERY simple coding questions...

then the interview ended.

Interview Questions
    • how to reduce the number of states in a hidden markov model? (actually i dunno what this question means...)   Answer Question
    • given a dice, you can throw it at most thrice unti you feel satisfied with the number. design a strategy so that the expected value of the last throw is biggest. (a relatively easy question)   View Answer
    • pros and cons of hashtable (very easy, the purpose of this question is only to let me feel not that embarrased)   View Answer
    • unix shell commands like grep diff (very easy, the purpose of this question is only to let me feel not that embarrased)   Answer Question
    • also there are some EXTRA HARD math problems that i can't even remember now....   Answer Question

Electronic Trading Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

The process took a dayinterviewed at Knight Capital in January 2012.

Interview consisted of several 1:1 interviews on-site. Questions were standard mix of quantitative and non-quantitative. They seemed smart but the interview process was not handled professionally. There was no receptionist and I was not provided information about where in the office to physically meet the interviewer so I had to ask several people around the office. There was a considerable amount of time spent waiting between interviews in a conference room due to poor scheduling and I spent at least 1.5 hours in aggregate waiting between interviews, being told every 30 minutes that the next interview would being shortly. The final interviewer briefly apologized but I was very disappointed with the lack of professionalism.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

The process took a dayinterviewed at Knight Capital in December 2011.

Went on this interview through a recruiter. I arrived 10 minutes prior, asked for the hiring manager who they seem to have trouble reaching. Finally they told me to take the elevator up arrived at the IT but door was locked. Someone was nice enough to let me in. No sign of hiring manager. 5 minutes later, he comes and gets me. It did not seem like they interview people much since they did not have a conference room or office available to interview. We finally ended up in an office that was like Arizona in the middle of the Summer. The hiring manager asked about experience and asked some technical questions. From the questions, it was clear that they were using J2EE circa 2001... going from JSP/Servlets to Struts 1.x. From there is was clear this job not for me. A lead developer came in looking sloppy, miserable and gave me a dead fish handshake. This was my first interview in quite some time and used it to bone up on interviewing skills otherwise would have walked out.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Knight Capital in October 2011.

The interview was got from the university career center. First it was a phone interview, basically about what you can do according to the job description. Not really hard questions. The second interview was at the company building, about basic Java knowledge; SQL syntax, database knowledge, differences with other languages.

Interview Questions
    • What are the differences with Java and C, OO and structural programming.   Answer Question