Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Apr 1, 2015

2.9

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (Albany, NY).

Interview

Starting at 7am, you meet at a hotel and they give you a short presentation. Following that, you sit in a hotel room, including a bed and mini fridge, with the door open at the little desk and HR or a manager comes in, questions you, and then leaves. This happens with 2-3 managers or HR people. You gather for lunch in the banquet hall and another presentation. Another 2-3 managers meet in your hotel room after lunch. Then you have a closeout discussion with HR. If they offer you a job you have to wait 1-12 months for your security clearance to process and pass a drug test.

Interview Questions

• About my prior experience with nuclear power (of which I had none as a recent college graduate)   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will not negotiate on benefits or vacation time. I was able to negotiate my salary slightly.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.

Interview

The interview was conducted by the specific group's leader. They went through mostly behavioural questions and a thorough look at my resume. Human Resources than contacts about the pay and housing along with the offer. I was informed by the interviewer that I would be receiving an offer within the week.

Interview Questions

• One of the classes I was taking was pointed out. The interviewer asked what we did in the class and my thoughts on the class. There was nothing more difficult than that. No technical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was firm. There is a housing option if your permanent and school address are far from the work address.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.

Interview

I applied on line and received a phone call two months after I applied. After the phone interview, I was invited to the site for a formal interview.

The formal interview was well structured and I was interviewed by three different engineering groups.

They seemed desperate for experienced engineers and most of their questions were focused on what I would like to work on.

Interview Questions

Their eagerness to hire me had me concerned about possible problems with high turnover and the salary offer was too low.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory.

Interview

I applied through a university recruiting website. Maybe a week later I was contacted by a recruiter through e-mail asking for a little more information. The next step was a phone interview in which the majority of it was actually learning about the program and then basic behavioral interviews. After the phone interview I was invited to an interview in New York. This part has not happened yet

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (Niskayuna, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Two-step interview; phone screen around Halloween and in-person in December. The phone interview was with the hiring manager and maybe 80% behavioral questions (describe the hardest class you took, teamwork & interactions with bosses), with the remainder being technical and very specific to the job-did I have technical writing experience, what was my background in criticality safety & nuclear modeling/experiments. It took maybe half an hour, and he asked me to send him a lab report I'd written as a follow-up. About a month and a half later, they had me come up to the lab-flew up the night before & stayed in a nearby hotel, all at their expense, with the interview taking up most of the day after (maybe 8AM-1PM?). HR did a presentation and took photo/fingerprints, then I had a pair of interviews-the first was with the hiring manager, the second was with his senior staff. Hiring manager focused on technical questions, while the senior staff asked me mostly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Suppose that a submarine contacts you, and their measurement for a key parameter is very different from what KAPL's models predict. What do you do?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever performed a sensitivity analysis?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in November 2014.

Interview

Explain a situation in which you made a mistake and how did you handle?, how much do you want to get paid?,the all interview was based on what they are doing , maximum 3 questions.

Interview Questions

• simple question, but i'm still waiting for the final answer.   1 Answer

Contracts Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in June 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application online for the position. About a month I think went by before I was contacted via email to set up an informal phone interview. During this phone interview, one of the hiring managers described the position, asked me to tell him a little about myself, what am I looking for in a job and so forth. At the end he said I would be contacted by HR to set up an onsite interview. He did warn me that this could take a while. About a month went by before I was contacted by HR to arrange an onsite interview. They send you a lot of info via email to read over, fill out and bring with you to the interview. The day of the interview - no cell phones allowed on site as noted by other reviewers. It started with signing in with a few other candidates. From there we were given a 30 min overview of the company and some highlights of the benefits. After we had our electronic finger prints taken. Next you are taken to a room where the interviews began. I had two interviews. The first round with three hiring managers, the second round with two hiring managers. Overall I felt very comfortable, and everyone was extremely pleasant. The questions asked were mainly typical interview questions, a combination of behavioral and skills questions. After these interviews I had an exit interview with HR. She asked what my salary requirements were, how I thought the interview process went, if I was interviewing anywhere else and so forth. I was very pleased with my experience. I thought I would be an excellent fit. ALL of the hiring managers asked if I could live without my cell phone by my side lol. I think it will take some getting used to, but it's not really a big deal. They did mention that they recently were given the ability to check personal email. One thing I really liked about the interview was that there were managers of all age groups, and at least three of them started in the position I was interviewing for. You do not see that as much as you should within companies anymore. They also asked what my working preference and style is. They gave me some examples of work done in each of the hiring managers areas and asked which area I thought I would fit into best. After 2 weeks and 2 days, I received a phone call offering me the position. I am currently awaiting the confirmation email to begin the investigation process! I would highly recommend considering KAPL as a place to work.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a "Sheldon" who won't take no for an answer about buying him something he didn't really need (I paraphrased).   1 Answer

Negotiation

None

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (Niskayuna, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

You can read other posts. For in-person interviews it seems quite similar no matter the position. One thing to expect is for the whole process to be lengthy. People told me this going in and I'm very glad that I was able to manage my expectations. I applied in February, was called for an interview in early June and had about two weeks to prepare. I received an offer very quickly (second business day). Since then, however, I have been waiting for my paperwork to begin the security clearance process. It has been more than a month. The process itself takes quite a while as well. I am actually curious if anyone else has had this experience?

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of questions about safety: How would you handle an unsafe situation? Describe a time when you have encountered unsafe practices, what did you do?   1 Answer

Finance Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ballston Spa, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (Ballston Spa, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied for the Finance Professional position located at the Kesselring Site online in Mid February of 2014. About 4-5 weeks later I got an e-mail from human resources requesting some basic information such as education transcripts, status in your job search etc. Specific to my position that I applied for, I had to give a brief description in about my experience in finance/budgeting. Once I replied to the e-mail with the requested information, I was informed that the hiring manager would be in contact with me soon. About two weeks after that, I indeed received a phone call/voicemail from the hiring manager requesting a phone interview which we did the very next day. During the phone screening, you go over basic information such as work history, experience and the like. I felt that everything went well and about two weeks later, another e-mail was received from human resources requesting an in person interview, along with some attachments to fill out to bring to the interview. I did my panel interview in April of 2014 at the Saratoga Marriot. I arrived early in the morning which was nice, because i got to talk to the engineers that were there that were interviewing engineer candidates, even though I was there for a finance job. Next, you sit down with HR and they do a presentation about the company and the mission supporting the fleet, as well as possible benefits and work/life balance. Then you will go to your panel interviews. I interviewed with two groups of people in the finance department, each consisting of two people. Both went very well and the questions seemed to be based on your job history, skill set and what you could potentially bring to the table as an employee. All of my interviewers were extremely professional and didn't grill me too hard and asked questions that anyone with 3-5 years of experience in finance should know. At the end of the interviews, you sit back down with HR for a one on one session and go over your application and some basic information about you and how everything went in your interviews. My HR representative was very good and very thorough about the rest of the hiring process. I really felt that everything went great and felt that I would fit in with the finance team. The best thing I liked is that is a good mix of people of all ages and backgrounds, which means you can learn alot from everybody!

About a month later I received a voicemail from HR instructing me to contact them again. We talked for a little bit about how everything is going at my current position and after about five minutes I was informed that I was selected for employment. They ask that you come to a decision within five days from the time of offer, which for me was an easy decision because A) I'm prior military and honestly KAPL really is a great fit for my skill set and experience, 2) their offer blew my current compensation/benefits out of the water and 3) I've wanted to work for KAPL since I was in college (I'm 29 now). Upon accepting the offer you will have to complete a drug screening and be granted a security clearance by the Department Of Energy. If you do accept an offer, please keep in mind that this process does take time, as the investigation for the clearance is administered through the Office of Personnel Management. Which means like all things government related, it takes time. When you do fill out your clearance paperwork, BE HONEST. Nobody in this world is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. I was granted a Secret Clearance while I was in the Army, and all the investigators ask for is honesty. I am now nearing the end of the whole process and will be starting at KAPL near labor day.

Overall, this has been a great experience so far with everyone I have interacted with. They are very professional, very honest and respond to e-mails/phone calls very quickly. This place has definitely left a great first impression on me. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that most people don't know about you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't even opt for negotiation. Their offer was generous and well in line with the industry/area average.

Nuclear Operation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saratoga Springs, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (Saratoga Springs, NY).

Interview

First, I had a phone interview. It was pretty simple, just a couple typical interview questions. Then I was invited to an all-day interview session in Saratoga with 7 other applicants. There were a few introductory presentations, 2 interviews, a tour of the area, and a change to ask engineers about the job. The interviews consisted of pretty much all behavioral interview questions.