Koch Industries

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.3

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Koch Industries.

I met Koch Industries at a University sponsored career fair. They had a meeting the next Sunday to go over any questions that the candidates had about the company with multiple representatives. The interviews were all a day later. The interview was a standard behavioral interview, it wasn't anything technical or in-depth.

Interview Questions
    • The one that I had the most trouble with was how I reacted to not meeting a deadline.   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Koch Industries.

I found out about Koch's internship program through my university's career fair. I filled out the application on the Koch hiring website. Filling out the application is easy and quick: you upload your resume and it is parsed for information, so a lot of boxes are automatically filled out with what you put on your resume. There is also a short section of behavioral questions. About a week later, I was informed that I could schedule a time for an on-campus interview. That interview was about half an hour long and fairly easy. All the questions were about my behavior. The interviewer did ask me a little bit about my technical knowledge to find out what sort of position I was looking for, but the interviewer emphasized that Koch does not expect interns to have extensive technical knowledge.

A few weeks after that first interview, I was informed that I had made it to the second (and final) round of interviews, which take place in Wichita. Koch paid for a hotel room and reimbursed me for travel expenses. This final round of interviews consisted of two back-to-back hour-long interviews. The first interview was, again, focused on behavioral questions, especially on dealing with difficult customers/co-workers and process improvements (what processes I use to solve problems). The second interview was more technical in the sense that I was asked what programming languages I had experience with and what sort of programs I had created. This interview was still mostly behavioral however, and was focused on the same kinds of questions. The interviewer emphasized that Koch focuses on finding interns who fit the company values, rather than just focusing on technical skills.

Read up on the Koch guiding principles and look up common behavioral questions and you will be fine. And, of course, be prepared to answer basic interview questions ("Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "Why do you want to work for Koch?" "Why software development?" etc). Everyone I talked to was laid back and personable, which helped the process go smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were creative in solving a problem.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate since the pay was very reasonable. You will be given about a week and a half to consider the offer.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Koch Industries in October 2014.

Applied through college career website. Was contacted within a week for an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes. Was contacted within another week to go to Wichita for 4, 45 minute interviews. Great people and accommodations.

Interview Questions
    • What is one instance of a group decision that you had to go along with even though you didn't fully support it?   Answer Question

Wichita doesn't offer as much as other cities.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Koch Industries.

Applied through my university's career center and received an on-campus, one-on-one interview. Was invited to a pre-interview dinner the night before and met the recruiters/other applicants. Two weeks later received an email for an on-site interview. First interview was 100% behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to depend on the skills or knowledge of another person   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online – interviewed at Koch Industries in September 2014.

Applied online and got a call a week later. Scheduled a phone interview for the next day and was told after the interview that I would go to an on-site interview in Wichita, Kansas.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a long term goal you had and how you achieved it.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campus, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Koch Industries in September 2014.

First they ask about yourself. Then they picked 3-4 behavioural questions from a question bank. After that, they ask you about what your preferences are for the internship and what other questions you have for the company.

Interview Questions
    • "talk about a time where you solved a problem"   Answer Question
    • "talk about a time where you went with a team's decision while you have your own separate idea"   Answer Question
    • "talk about a time when you persuade someone about an idea you have"   Answer Question

(IT) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Koch Industries in September 2014.

Applied online since I didn't have time to see them at the career fair. Heard back within a couple days saying they would like to interview. Met them on-campus for a 45 minute interview that was non-technical. All of the Koch representatives were friendly and easy to talk with. I had a follow-up interview scheduled, but opted out because I had a more preferable offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of questions that were based around how I worked in a group, such as: tell me about a time where you had difficulty working in a group. What was the difficulty? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

I made it to the next round of interviews, but declined because I was accepted at another company.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Koch Industries in August 2014.

2 Interviews that add up to an hour. Behavorial Questions in both. Dress appropriately. Not a company that accepts anything short of business casual. Interview specifically requires business professional. Interview most likely performed by both male and female. Prepare to provide real life examples for your claims.

Interview Questions
    Negotiable. Starts you off at a competitive pay and states in writing that it is negotiable. Personally did not negotiate.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Koch Industries.

I had a phone interview and the interviewer was very friendly. She asked a lot of questions that were based on past experiences and situations I had with coworkers and job difficulties. She wanted to know how I dealt with conflict with past coworkers or bosses. She asked what was my strength and weakness.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most stressful or difficult thing I faced in my former job and what about it made it stressful?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

They take series of interview and questions are all repeated. They will make you stop down the hall and fill out the critics paper about the hiring process. Beside that they will also call you for the party before the interview date.