Koch Industries Interview Questions

Updated Mar 30, 2015

3.3

Corporate Implementation Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) in March 2015.

Interview

The process of setting up the interview was frustrating in itself (and I am a pretty patient person).
    I was emailed by two different people, who both did not reply promptly and when they asked for my availability for the phone interview, I provided them with three different times and dates in the same week.
    They randomly replied the next day with a completely different time and date. I went ahead and went with it and cancelled one of my corporate calls that morning (Rude). Then to add to the mix, they had the dates mixed up- which I called them directly to clear up. Pretty confusing..
    The morning of the interview they called me at 7:20AM, yes you read that correctly, to confirm it.
    The interview was very brief. To my surprise on the call with the recruiter, was my "who would have been" direct report on the call as well. This baffled me.
    I felt like they rushed everything and really didn't give me sensible questions that pertained to my work ethic, education or experience.
    I was quite disappointed at the end of this call actually. Then not even 45 minutes after the call I received a declination email.
    KOCH: If you are hiring for some new HR personnel, feel free to reach out.
    If you aren't, you should really ask yourself why.
    I think my teenage boys could have done a better job coordinating, planning and interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral health questions. Strength / Weakness. Boring.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

Called to schedule a phone interview. Conducted phone interview. Received an email a few days later stating I had been selected for an interview with links and directions on scheduling a day, a hotel, a flight, and a rental car. Did not have many other details and was all conducted electronically. There was no personal interaction during this process

Interview Questions

• 5 different individual interviews. Each asked different questions. A lot of behavior based.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

Was called a few weeks after I applied on online. They scheduled a phone interview the very next day. The questions were standard (actually every behavioral based interview question that was posted Glassdoor was used in the interview). About a week after my interview they called me to come in person to the D.C. office. It was a half day event, I arrived at 12:30 and left around 3. I had four 45 minute interviews that had 2 interviewers. The next day I had a follow up phone call with the recruiter and about a week after they made their decision.

They kind of catch you off guard and send you very mixed signals. For example, they reviewed their benefits, send me their benefits package, asked me my salary requirements multiple times, they seemed generally interested in me. But surprisingly, they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• When telling a story that had greater importance, I BRIEFLY mentioned that I had a waitressing job. Big mistake, one interviewer harped on my waitressing job for about 15 minutes. I definitely was not prepared for that. It was actually very uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Koch Industries in January 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with 2 people, an HR rep and a Legal Secretary. It lasted approximately one hour. They called me the next day to set up an on-site interview, asking if I wanted a morning or afternoon slot. Once they determined a time, they e-mailed me a schedule of the morning, a map of the campus, and a benefits summary. It was a 4 hour (8:30-12:30) interview separated into 6 different interviews consisting of 10 people total. The initial interview was with HR where questions were asked to see if you reviewed the website, news articles, etc, prior to your interview. The remaining interviews were between the attorneys and legal staff. No interview was more than 2 people. The final interview was with a different HR rep who discussed your interest level, benefit packages available, and time-table of their schedule. The attorneys all seemed extremely nice, easy-going, and well-versed in their field. They were a little unprepared for the interview itself, as KOCH provides different questions based off a specific topic each interviewer is supposed to use. Most of the attorneys brought their list with them, but few seemed to stay on track with it. They mostly were interested in how your previous experience would relate to the position, past that, they were willing to chat about any (interview related) topic. VERY nice people. The staff seemed a little more pretentious, including the HR staff. They spent some time minimizing my degree and choice of college, comparing my bachelors degree from a private university to an associates degree at a community college. They just seemed like they had somewhere more important to be. It was very off-putting!

Interview Questions

• "Based on you only being at your current job for less than a year, tell me why hiring you would be worth my time."   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

I applied online through university recruiting and met for a 45 minute on-campus interview. After one week, I was invited for a second on-site interview in Wichita which consisted of two, 45 minute interviews. Both the on-campus and on-site interviews focused mainly on behavioral based questions. Be prepared to provide real word examples.

Interview Questions

• Describe a group decision that you had to go along with even though you didn't fully support it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you felt you did not receive adequate feedback based on the effort you put forth?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) in December 2014.

Interview

The process started with an initial phone interview. The conversation was very informal, asked about who I am as a person, what my aspirations are, etc. Was invited to interview in Wichita shortly after. At that interview, was asked very standard behavioral questions. Their whole goal during the process is to examine culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to have a difficult conversation.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

I met Koch Industries at a University sponsored career fair. They had a meeting the next Sunday to go over any questions that the candidates had about the company with multiple representatives. The interviews were all a day later. The interview was a standard behavioral interview, it wasn't anything technical or in-depth.

Interview Questions

• The one that I had the most trouble with was how I reacted to not meeting a deadline.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

I found out about Koch's internship program through my university's career fair. I filled out the application on the Koch hiring website. Filling out the application is easy and quick: you upload your resume and it is parsed for information, so a lot of boxes are automatically filled out with what you put on your resume. There is also a short section of behavioral questions. About a week later, I was informed that I could schedule a time for an on-campus interview. That interview was about half an hour long and fairly easy. All the questions were about my behavior. The interviewer did ask me a little bit about my technical knowledge to find out what sort of position I was looking for, but the interviewer emphasized that Koch does not expect interns to have extensive technical knowledge.

A few weeks after that first interview, I was informed that I had made it to the second (and final) round of interviews, which take place in Wichita. Koch paid for a hotel room and reimbursed me for travel expenses. This final round of interviews consisted of two back-to-back hour-long interviews. The first interview was, again, focused on behavioral questions, especially on dealing with difficult customers/co-workers and process improvements (what processes I use to solve problems). The second interview was more technical in the sense that I was asked what programming languages I had experience with and what sort of programs I had created. This interview was still mostly behavioral however, and was focused on the same kinds of questions. The interviewer emphasized that Koch focuses on finding interns who fit the company values, rather than just focusing on technical skills.

Read up on the Koch guiding principles and look up common behavioral questions and you will be fine. And, of course, be prepared to answer basic interview questions ("Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "Why do you want to work for Koch?" "Why software development?" etc). Everyone I talked to was laid back and personable, which helped the process go smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were creative in solving a problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate since the pay was very reasonable. You will be given about a week and a half to consider the offer.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through college career website. Was contacted within a week for an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes. Was contacted within another week to go to Wichita for 4, 45 minute interviews. Great people and accommodations.

Interview Questions

• What is one instance of a group decision that you had to go along with even though you didn't fully support it?   Answer Question

Wichita doesn't offer as much as other cities.

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Koch Industries (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Met with a couple associates at a career fair. They were friendly, talkative, and informative. I emailed them afterwards to thank them for their time, and they invited me to officially apply. Sent them my resume and transcript, then they emailed me for a phone interview. It was a basic behavioral interview with maybe 7 or 8 questions. I passed that round and they brought me in for an in office interview. They showed me around the office a little bit and then I had two interviews. The first interview was a behavioral with two people (one senior analyst and one manager), with some focus on my resume and a good bit of talking on their part. It felt like they were trying to sell me on their company as I was trying to sell myself (and I mean that in a good way). After that I went to another interview with a manager. This interview was much less formal. There may have been one or two behavioral questions but for the most part we talked about my resume and he responded to questions I had about the company and the economy. A couple weeks later they called me to tell me I got the job.

Interview Questions

• A few times they pointed out items on my resume and said Can you tell me more about this? or What was the most valuable thing you learned from that experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate because I was mainly after the experience, not the money.