Koch Industries Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.3

Public Policy Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

Was called a few weeks after I applied on online. They scheduled a phone interview the very next day. The questions were standard (actually every behavioral based interview question that was posted Glassdoor was used in the interview). About a week after my interview they called me to come in person to the D.C. office. It was a half day event, I arrived at 12:30 and left around 3. I had four 45 minute interviews that had 2 interviewers. The next day I had a follow up phone call with the recruiter and about a week after they made their decision. They kind of catch you off guard and send you very mixed signals. For example, they reviewed their benefits, send me their benefits package, asked me my salary requirements multiple times, they seemed generally interested in me. But surprisingly, they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• When telling a story that had greater importance, I BRIEFLY mentioned that I had a waitressing job. Big mistake, one interviewer harped on my waitressing job for about 15 minutes. I definitely was not prepared for that. It was actually very uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

I applied online through university recruiting and met for a 45 minute on-campus interview. After one week, I was invited for a second on-site interview in Wichita which consisted of two, 45 minute interviews. Both the on-campus and on-site interviews focused mainly on behavioral based questions. Be prepared to provide real word examples.

Interview Questions

• Describe a group decision that you had to go along with even though you didn't fully support it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you felt you did not receive adequate feedback based on the effort you put forth?   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Koch Industries in January 2015.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with 2 people, an HR rep and a Legal Secretary. It lasted approximately one hour. They called me the next day to set up an on-site interview, asking if I wanted a morning or afternoon slot. Once they determined a time, they e-mailed me a schedule of the morning, a map of the campus, and a benefits summary. It was a 4 hour (8:30-12:30) interview separated into 6 different interviews consisting of 10 people total. The initial interview was with HR where questions were asked to see if you reviewed the website, news articles, etc, prior to your interview. The remaining interviews were between the attorneys and legal staff. No interview was more than 2 people. The final interview was with a different HR rep who discussed your interest level, benefit packages available, and time-table of their schedule. The attorneys all seemed extremely nice, easy-going, and well-versed in their field. They were a little unprepared for the interview itself, as KOCH provides different questions based off a specific topic each interviewer is supposed to use. Most of the attorneys brought their list with them, but few seemed to stay on track with it. They mostly were interested in how your previous experience would relate to the position, past that, they were willing to chat about any (interview related) topic. VERY nice people. The staff seemed a little more pretentious, including the HR staff. They spent some time minimizing my degree and choice of college, comparing my bachelors degree from a private university to an associates degree at a community college. They just seemed like they had somewhere more important to be. It was very off-putting!

Interview Questions

• "Based on you only being at your current job for less than a year, tell me why hiring you would be worth my time."   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) in December 2014.

Interview

The process started with an initial phone interview. The conversation was very informal, asked about who I am as a person, what my aspirations are, etc. Was invited to interview in Wichita shortly after. At that interview, was asked very standard behavioral questions. Their whole goal during the process is to examine culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to have a difficult conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Koch Industries (Atlanta, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

Lengthy, one set of interviews took 3 hours! It's very much Situation, Behavior, Outcome; you tell them stories the whole time. They want to know how you reacted in certain situations, what your behavior was, and the ultimate outcome. This is basically a pre-screening test of their MBM strategy/corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had an argument with upper management and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you came up with a creative solution to an issue?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time when you were in an argument with a peer, they were correct, and how you responded?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A I took what was given

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

I met Koch Industries at a University sponsored career fair. They had a meeting the next Sunday to go over any questions that the candidates had about the company with multiple representatives. The interviews were all a day later. The interview was a standard behavioral interview, it wasn't anything technical or in-depth.

Interview Questions

• The one that I had the most trouble with was how I reacted to not meeting a deadline.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Koch Industries (Lawrence, KS) in November 2014.

Interview

Forty-five minute interview that focuses on SBO (situation,behavior, outcome). They really want to try and get stories out of you that show a challenging situation, how you handled it, and what ultimately happened. This is with the goal of seeing how well you work with others. I recommend focusing on how you worked as a team with someone to resolve a problem.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were not acknowledged for your work   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Koch Industries.

Interview

I found out about Koch's internship program through my university's career fair. I filled out the application on the Koch hiring website. Filling out the application is easy and quick: you upload your resume and it is parsed for information, so a lot of boxes are automatically filled out with what you put on your resume. There is also a short section of behavioral questions. About a week later, I was informed that I could schedule a time for an on-campus interview. That interview was about half an hour long and fairly easy. All the questions were about my behavior. The interviewer did ask me a little bit about my technical knowledge to find out what sort of position I was looking for, but the interviewer emphasized that Koch does not expect interns to have extensive technical knowledge. A few weeks after that first interview, I was informed that I had made it to the second (and final) round of interviews, which take place in Wichita. Koch paid for a hotel room and reimbursed me for travel expenses. This final round of interviews consisted of two back-to-back hour-long interviews. The first interview was, again, focused on behavioral questions, especially on dealing with difficult customers/co-workers and process improvements (what processes I use to solve problems). The second interview was more technical in the sense that I was asked what programming languages I had experience with and what sort of programs I had created. This interview was still mostly behavioral however, and was focused on the same kinds of questions. The interviewer emphasized that Koch focuses on finding interns who fit the company values, rather than just focusing on technical skills. Read up on the Koch guiding principles and look up common behavioral questions and you will be fine. And, of course, be prepared to answer basic interview questions ("Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "Why do you want to work for Koch?" "Why software development?" etc). Everyone I talked to was laid back and personable, which helped the process go smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were creative in solving a problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate since the pay was very reasonable. You will be given about a week and a half to consider the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) in October 2014.

Interview

First I had a short, casual interview on college campus and then was invited to Wichita for two 45-minute interviews with behavioral based questions. About a week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you didn't have clear directions and how you acted.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Koch Industries (Wichita, KS) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through college career website. Was contacted within a week for an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes. Was contacted within another week to go to Wichita for 4, 45 minute interviews. Great people and accommodations.

Interview Questions

• What is one instance of a group decision that you had to go along with even though you didn't fully support it?   Answer Question

Wichita doesn't offer as much as other cities.

See What Koch Industries Employees Are Saying

Current Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros: “I've been contracting for 20 years, with about a dozen or so clients under my belt over that time. This was the first company to fit my personal perspective with regards to people...”“I've been contracting for 20 years, with about a dozen or so clients under my belt over that time. This was the first company to fit my personal perspective with regards to people management. After listening in to some of the MBM (Market-based management) conversations I realized the common-sense, lean-budget style was what i have been looking for. A few months later and I converted to full-time. One item that may seem to be a hindrance, but is really a boon is the length of time it takes to hire someone. It takes what seems forever to get past the layers of interviewing sessions. From a potential hire's pserspective, this is a negative thing. But for those of us who have made it past the interviews, this is very very good. We know that a new hire fits the corporate culture and work ethic style that we also share. Also another good item is the ongoing personnel training for MBM. I won't rehash all the good documentation on the subject, but when you see colleagues actually using the concepts and speaking the same 'language' with regards to the aspects of MBM, you are already a step ahead in the problem-solving process.” – Full Review