Kohl's

1.9

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Effingham, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Effingham, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in August 2008.

Interview was pretty standard, I would say. Was asked questions about when and how I've dealt with difficult people and situations. I had not had a job before, and the interviewer used a condescending tone with me when referring to that fact. I did not answer the questions very well, as I was completely unsure of what to expect and was thus unprepared. He was overall very intimidating, and acted as though I was wasting his time, even though I was trying and did want the job. Would not apply there again, unless it were in a different location.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult coworker. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kohl's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, AL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in March 2009.

This was my very first job interview and I hated it. It was before the kohl's in my hometown had a grand opening and they were having group interviews. I hate group interviews. I wish it was a 1 on 1 interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summerville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summerville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kohl's in November 2010.

filled out the application online then had to keep calling or going up there to speak with someone

Interview Questions
    • What type of contributions do I think Kohls does for local charities???   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in August 2009.

Basic interview once i actually got there. They asked applicable questions. There was a nice packet of paperwork, and we were walked through each part. I applied in person, got a call two weeks later, and interviewed the next day. One week later, they called me and asked if I could come into orientation the next day, without having told me that I was hired. :P I was one of six people picked out of 500.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when someone asked you to do something for them and you could not provide what was asked for. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Green Bay, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2010.

Once you submitted an application, they would call you for a group interview which was about 10 people. They had us sit around a big table and asked a bunch of questions (some for people to spontaneously answer and some they went around the room and asked individually). When that was over, if they still wanted you as an employee they would give you another call and offer you a job or a second interview.

Interview Questions
    there was no negotiation. They were hiring for seasonal cashiers around Christmas and i'm know they over-hire around the holidays because some people always quit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kohl's in April 2010.

I decided to apply for a part-time cashier job at Kohls (in addition to my full-time job) because I enjoy shopping there and thought it might be nice to have some additional income. I filled out the application and they called me two days later for an interview. The woman who interviewed me seemed very friendly and upbeat. However, I indicated on my application that I was interested in part-time and entered all of my hours of availability and yet she asked me questions about if I was leaving my full-time position (no) and if my availability was set in stone (yes). She asked all of the typical retail interview questions, and there seemed to be a big focus on loss prevention and theft. A few days later, I received a phone call that there were problems with my credit history so they could not offer me the position. This was a great mystery to me, as I have zero debt (aside from mortgage and a car payment) and an excellent credit rating with no issues in my credit history of fifteen years. I even did my own credit check at that point with all 3 agencies from fear of identity theft or other issues. Everything looked perfect. But apparently it was not good enough to work part-time at Kohls! Strange.

Interview Questions
    • In the past, when you have seen coworkers stealing from your employer, how did it make you feel?   View Answer
    • Do you feel comfortable going up to customers and starting a conversation with them?   View Answers (2)

Cashier Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2010.

I had an group interview of about 8 people. It was very basic, with questions that you'd expect at an interview.
    She started out by going in order, then jumped around the room asking the same question to every person.
    Everyone had very similar answers, and they all emphasized customer service.
    They then left, and said that they were going to review everyone's applications and make sure they were filled out right.
    They came back in and asked three people to leave, and then called two people in at a time, and offered me a job, and I assume the others.

Interview Questions
    • Can you name a time where you had two conflicting appointments? If so, how did you deal with them?   View Answer
    Since it's seasonal, there is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kokomo, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kokomo, IN

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2007.

Group interview took place... with very general questions.
    It was a little awkward to be honest. Kohl's is extremely customer oriented, and they will expect your answers to their questions to be along those lines. Remember, the customer is always right! I believe that their slogan is "Yes we can".. so make sure that you keep that mindset going in.

Interview Questions
    • Do you agree with this statement: "The customer is always right."?   View Answers (2)
    There really weren't any negotiations... they offer you a position.. and you take it or leave it. The scheduling is a little bit lenient

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in November 2009.

I applied to Kohl's in person for a seasonal part-time position advertised via in-store flyer. I was interviewed with a group of 20 or so other candidates. When they had called me to tell me when the interview was, they didn't mention that it would be a group interview; I got that information from prior research. I arrived at Kohl's early and waited around the customer service area. Most of the candidates were around my age (mid 20s), but there was someone in his 60s and various people in between. Many of us dressed up, some relatively casually, and there was at least one person in jeans and a t-shirt.

The interviewer showed up and led us into a room where we were seated in rows and told to fill out some mostly redundant paperwork, plus a page indicating the days and hours we would be available. The interview went like this: the interviewer asked a question, the candidate at the end of the first row had to answer, then the candidate next to them, and so on. If someone needed more time to think up an answer, the interviewer would skip them and come back to them once everyone else had answered that question. (One thing that may have negatively affected my chances is the fact that, though I only needed to be skipped once, I was the only candidate who ended up needing any skips at all). Each time she moved on to a new question, the position of "first answerer" moved to the next one in line, so each of us ended up being first at least once. For most questions, people gave the same answers as those before them, paraphrasing and elaborating on earlier points. The questions were not difficult. There were only a few "behavioral interview" type questions.

After the interviewer finished asking questions, she opened the floor for questions from us. She also informed us about the availability of overnight work (which paid more) and what it entailed. As a result, a lot of us had to go back and edit our paperwork to indicate that we would be available for overnight hours. In the end, she said Kohl's had to check our references and would contact us within a few weeks. I received a standard rejection e-mail around a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to work fast under pressure.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you caught a coworker stealing? What should happen to them?   View Answer
    • What is your idea of good customer service?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about soliciting Kohl's credit cards?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in July 2012.

It was a pretty relaxed interview. i filled out the application in the store and signed up for an interview on the spot. they asked normal interview questions like why i want to work there and describe how i would handle a rude customer..etc..