Kohl's

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Salem, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in October 2011.

Interview Details – Group interview with basic customer service questions. People who dressed somewhat nicely got hired, people who wore jeans or sweatshirts did not. Sitting in the middle of the group allowed for more time to think of answers to questions

Interview Question – "Describe a time you provided excellent customer service"   View Answer

Tampa, FL

Interviewed at Kohl's

Interview Details – applied before store opening so interview was preformed at a job fair off campus. interviews are group and preformed in the store with a member of management.

Interview Question – most difficult experience at current job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiaion

Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call back within one week. Scheduled for interview and didn't know until I get there that it was a group interview. I was skepical b/c I've never had a group interview. Wasn't as painful as I thought. My group was 7 people total and everyone was 2 different questions at random. Then they had everyone leave individually incase you had any questions for them, so you didn't have to ask in front of the group.

Interview Question – They were typical customer service and work experience questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on hourly rate. Everyone starts at the same rate regardless of position. (From what i was told b/c I have several years experience at a retail Customer Service desk)

Detroit, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Kohl's in August 2013.

Interview Details – It was a group interview and each of the ten people were given name tags and taken to a conference room. We all sat across for a store manager and an assistant manager. The were both very nice and asked general questions. We all filled out applications and were told we would be contact in a few days.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at that store? None of the questions were hard and each person answered.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kohl's in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online first and they called around two hours after I applied. I missed the call but called them promptly and scheduled a phone interview. After the phone interview there was a slightly difficult assessment (at least part A was a bit difficult). After the assessment I was instructed to call the hiring manager and we scheduled a group interview. It was a long process and a little difficult. Everyone was very friendly and helpful throughout the entire process though, so that made it a little easier.

Interview Question – What would be the most aggravating, annoying, or uncomfortable situation? (Choose two)
A)Taking leadership in an emergency situation
b) Doing repetitive tasks
c) Settling other employees differences
d) Being monitored closely.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I told them how much I would like to get payed and they offered more.

Menomonee Falls, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in July 2012.

Interview Details – A series of interviews. First a phone interview with an emphasis on behavioral questions and sales situations. Next is an in person interview at the facility. First you meet with HR and they ask similar questions to the phone interview. Afterwards, the have you listen to a few calls and meet the supervisors. One of more of the supervisors then ask you more detailed questions, lots of "Tell me about a time when . . . "

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you failed to sell an item"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, pay is based on experience and is confidential.

Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in August 2012.

Interview Details – It takes them few weeks to get back to you. I had a group interview with about 6 people. Questions were typical of this type of job and mostly concerned your background dealing with customers and whether you had issues with pushing credit card applications.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you turned the situation around.   Answer Question

Wheeling, WV

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kohl's in August 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online.
Interviewed at 2 different Kols' stores - process different at both.
First interview was group interview - felt like an open call for any warm body, majority of those with experience in retail dismissed without job offer for those that had limited retail esperience.
Second interview - different store - individual interview with department manager and store manager. Better experience - felt these managers were more focused on hiring members for a team.
Best bet - hope for the individual interview.

Interview Question – Pretty routine questions. Be sure to have a customer service experience ready that was your best and worse service   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - salary was minimum wage - take it or leave it mentality.

Very Easy Interview

Roseville, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview Details – Easy. They had a group interview for me and went around asking your basic questions. How to help a customer.... what would you do in this situation...

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kohl's in September 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed for the holiday season (they always hire a lot starting in September/October to prepare for the holidays). They called me in for a group interview. There were about 10 of us in the room, plus the HR and assistant HR of the store. Questions were posed by the HR, and everyone had an opportunity to respond, but only if they wanted. You wanted to be sure to speak out if you had something to add, or you might be overlooked. Out of my group, all but 1 or 2 were hired. Only a few of those stayed on after the holidays.

Interview Question – No specific questions were difficult; they were mostly ethical/situational questions (what if you saw an employee stealing, etc.), but you had to speak up if you wanted the HR people to remember you after the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called a day or so after the group interview and offered me a position and hourly wage. I was given time to accept, but I accepted on the spot. I was satisfied with the salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kohl's

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kohl's Customer Service Associate interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kohl's employees and interview candidates.