Kohl's

Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.2

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menomonee Falls, WI

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in April 2008.

My original phone interview went well and I was encouraged. I submitted a very generous schedule during which I could interview, which included over 30 hours per week of time when I was supposed to be working at my current job. I was stunned when I received (via e-mail) a detailed, half-day interview schedule for a time that I simply could not make it. I was very cordial and replied via e-mail stating I could not make it. I also called and left a voice mail message for the HR assistant. I received an e-mail stating that they would reschedule. I again submitted a very generous 30+ hours during 1st shift (including evening hours and early morning hours) of when I could come into interview. I again received a detailed, half-day interview schedule for a time I could not make. After I left a message for the assistant, I received an e-mail with the rationalization that this was the only time the interviewers could all get together. I simply could not jeopardize my current position. There were obligations at my then current job I simply had to make. I phoned the HR manager at Kohl's, the person with whom I had the original telephone interview. I explained my position, she was understanding and did reschedule for a time I could make.

I went on the interview and it went well. I was asked for five professional references, at least two of them would have to be former managers. I had been with the same company for 15 years. There was only one manager for whom I used to work that had left the company. I was unable to locate a manager from my job back in 1992. I'm not even sure that would be relevant. I had to contact a manager at my current employer. Fortunately, I have excellent references with my managers. I was able to confide in a previous manager that I was looking outside the company. Although he was sad that he had nothing open in his area, he said he would gladly provide a reference for me. The reference process involved filling out an extensive questionnaire on a website. That process took about 45 minutes. My answers to the questionnaire were then compared against answers from my references. At a second interview, I reviewed the reference checking with who would have been my new manager at Kohl's. I've never known a reference check to be more in-depth. On the one hand, I was impressed that Kohl's wanted to know specifics about my work history from people who witnessed it first hand. However, I was not happy that I was asked to find two former managers, in spite of my circumstances. I was also not happy with how much effort was involved for my references. I felt that the Kohl's manager spent too much time face-down in the results of the reference results (which included numbers, graphs, etc.) and not enough face-up time with me.

Ultimately, I was offered a position, which I turned down for another offer that came in about 2 days after the Kohl's offer. Although I am a computer professional with a great deal of logic ability, I am also highly intuitive. I had a negative feeling about the hiring manager. That's really unusual for me. Additionally, laptops were not standard issue for the job. Working from home was "something they were looking into".

I give my employer a great deal of flexibility: t-cons at 6am for over-seas collaboration, working at night when projects warrant it, and basically being available almost all of the time to connect remotely with the office to solve a problem or work on something. In exchange for this, I will attend my child's music program at school during the middle of the day. Perhaps I might leave work at 2:00 p.m. for an obligation. I am looking for flexibility, in return my employer gets certainly more than 40 hours per week and someone who is there just about 24/7. My track record (and references) show that. My work style was a boon to my previous employer and continues work very well for my current employed. It did not see any evidence that that was going to work at Kohl's.

When I declined the offer, Kohl's was genuinely interested as to why I went with the other offer. I spoke with the HR manager at length. There were many small things that led me to accepting the other offer. I did mention that the schedule flexibility at Kohl's seemed a bit rigid. I think under slightly different circumstances, this may have worked. I interviewed in 2008. Perhaps their issuing laptops now or allowing more flexible schedules. I'm still torn about the in-depth reference process.

Interview Questions
    • In general, the most difficult questions came when I was responding to comments about my reference checks. Basically, why would one person say this, and another person say something sort of different.   View Answer

I received an offer from a company that was much more organized in contacting me and setting up interviews. My new employer was much more flexible with hours (start/stop) and occasionally working from home when required. Salary was not a consideration. Unfortunately, I would have rejected the offer from Kohl's even if it were for more money.

Ad Set Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverbank, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverbank, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in June 2010.

I got there late. I had car trouble, but they didn't seem to care or understand. I was asked my goals and I said to finish college, but I assume they thought I would leave after I graduated. I don't have a car of my own, so that was also a problem. They didn't ask much and just asked what I brought to the company. I've never worked in retail before. I never got a call back.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2011.

Apply online. A week later I received a call for an interview. Went to the interview sent to break room to fill out an application again. Taken into a small office with a circle of chairs. Store manager asked 5 interview questions and went around the circle letting everyone answer. You will be contacted a couple weeks later for results. He let us know up front that you will be given less than 20 hours a week depending on how business is going.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dothan, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dothan, AL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

What Are they looking for in an employee why don't they give just anyone an opportunity

Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's in January 2010.

Was asked why do I want to work here, I stated I have never shopped in the store so I have no experience to compare to competitors, (none in any other five towns or states I have ever lived in) To benefit your team where I could best utilize my experience, abilities and skills in a challenging position with advancement opportunities, with increasing responsibilities as a team member experiences

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Kohl's, He kept asking the question, then after repeating my answer, I said to Benefit my family financially to be able to keep the lifestyle we all enjoy.   View Answer

Merchant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menomonee Falls, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's.

I applies online and spoke with a recruiter over the phone. I was invited to a 2 day event in Milwaukee a few weeks later. It included a very casual networking dinner the night before and the interviews the following morning at corporate. There were three 1:1 interviews with various managers in the buying offices and then a group interview later in the day. They also gave a tour of the corporate office.

Interview Questions
    • Group project/presentation: Should Kohl's go international and offer shipping to other countries? You have 20 minutes to work with a group of other candidates as 3 interviewers observe your interaction.   Answer Question

Kohls Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in May 2014.

I filled out a application through SnagAJob.com .I started calling everyday and asking for the manager but he was so hard to find.I finally got a hold of him after a few weeks.He told me to come in at 3:00 P.M the next day.I came in early at 2:30 P.M and he didn't come in till 5:15 P.M that day.So I had waited all that time that day dedicated to get a job. When he finally got there he asked me questions and told me he was going to hire me,He lied!

Sales Floor Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in August 2014.

The interview process was terrible. It is in group format and they ask you customer service scenario questions. Didn't like it at all. This company needs to reconsider their interviewing format. They also expect you to work different departments as well as register. Very understaffed. Not a good experience

Interview Questions
    • Customer service scenario questions. Wanted everyone to "jump in" to the conversation to answer interview questions   Answer Question

ASM Internship Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Kohl's.

Situational Questions! Tell me about a time....

POS/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goshen, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goshen, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in June 2014.

I applied on snagajob and about two or three weeks later I got a call for an interview. It was a group interview and it was kind of intimidating. Some of the questions were hard to answer on the spot and you dont get much time to think. I just had the interview today so i dont know if they're going to call me back for orientation. Just go prepared and you'll do fine, i wasn't prepared for the questions they asked so it was hard for me.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you had plans and you had to unexpectedly change your priorities? How did you handle it?   Answer Question