Kohl's Interview Questions

1,112 Interview Reviews

2.2

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's (Menomonee Falls, WI) in April 2008.

Interview

My original phone interview went well and I was encouraged. I submitted a very generous schedule during which I could interview, which included over 30 hours per week of time when I was supposed to be working at my current job. I was stunned when I received (via e-mail) a detailed, half-day interview schedule for a time that I simply could not make it. I was very cordial and replied via e-mail stating I could not make it. I also called and left a voice mail message for the HR assistant. I received an e-mail stating that they would reschedule. I again submitted a very generous 30+ hours during 1st shift (including evening hours and early morning hours) of when I could come into interview. I again received a detailed, half-day interview schedule for a time I could not make. After I left a message for the assistant, I received an e-mail with the rationalization that this was the only time the interviewers could all get together. I simply could not jeopardize my current position. There were obligations at my then current job I simply had to make. I phoned the HR manager at Kohl's, the person with whom I had the original telephone interview. I explained my position, she was understanding and did reschedule for a time I could make.

I went on the interview and it went well. I was asked for five professional references, at least two of them would have to be former managers. I had been with the same company for 15 years. There was only one manager for whom I used to work that had left the company. I was unable to locate a manager from my job back in 1992. I'm not even sure that would be relevant. I had to contact a manager at my current employer. Fortunately, I have excellent references with my managers. I was able to confide in a previous manager that I was looking outside the company. Although he was sad that he had nothing open in his area, he said he would gladly provide a reference for me. The reference process involved filling out an extensive questionnaire on a website. That process took about 45 minutes. My answers to the questionnaire were then compared against answers from my references. At a second interview, I reviewed the reference checking with who would have been my new manager at Kohl's. I've never known a reference check to be more in-depth. On the one hand, I was impressed that Kohl's wanted to know specifics about my work history from people who witnessed it first hand. However, I was not happy that I was asked to find two former managers, in spite of my circumstances. I was also not happy with how much effort was involved for my references. I felt that the Kohl's manager spent too much time face-down in the results of the reference results (which included numbers, graphs, etc.) and not enough face-up time with me.

Ultimately, I was offered a position, which I turned down for another offer that came in about 2 days after the Kohl's offer. Although I am a computer professional with a great deal of logic ability, I am also highly intuitive. I had a negative feeling about the hiring manager. That's really unusual for me. Additionally, laptops were not standard issue for the job. Working from home was "something they were looking into".

I give my employer a great deal of flexibility: t-cons at 6am for over-seas collaboration, working at night when projects warrant it, and basically being available almost all of the time to connect remotely with the office to solve a problem or work on something. In exchange for this, I will attend my child's music program at school during the middle of the day. Perhaps I might leave work at 2:00 p.m. for an obligation. I am looking for flexibility, in return my employer gets certainly more than 40 hours per week and someone who is there just about 24/7. My track record (and references) show that. My work style was a boon to my previous employer and continues work very well for my current employed. It did not see any evidence that that was going to work at Kohl's.

When I declined the offer, Kohl's was genuinely interested as to why I went with the other offer. I spoke with the HR manager at length. There were many small things that led me to accepting the other offer. I did mention that the schedule flexibility at Kohl's seemed a bit rigid. I think under slightly different circumstances, this may have worked. I interviewed in 2008. Perhaps their issuing laptops now or allowing more flexible schedules. I'm still torn about the in-depth reference process.

Interview Questions

• In general, the most difficult questions came when I was responding to comments about my reference checks. Basically, why would one person say this, and another person say something sort of different.   1 Answer

I received an offer from a company that was much more organized in contacting me and setting up interviews. My new employer was much more flexible with hours (start/stop) and occasionally working from home when required. Salary was not a consideration. Unfortunately, I would have rejected the offer from Kohl's even if it were for more money.

Ad Set Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverbank, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's (Riverbank, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

I got there late. I had car trouble, but they didn't seem to care or understand. I was asked my goals and I said to finish college, but I assume they thought I would leave after I graduated. I don't have a car of my own, so that was also a problem. They didn't ask much and just asked what I brought to the company. I've never worked in retail before. I never got a call back.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2011.

Interview

Apply online. A week later I received a call for an interview. Went to the interview sent to break room to fill out an application again. Taken into a small office with a circle of chairs. Store manager asked 5 interview questions and went around the circle letting everyone answer. You will be contacted a couple weeks later for results. He let us know up front that you will be given less than 20 hours a week depending on how business is going.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kohl's (Dothan, AL) in October 2012.

Interview

What Are they looking for in an employee why don't they give just anyone an opportunity

Security Interview

Anonymous Employee in Abilene, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's (Abilene, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

Was asked why do I want to work here, I stated I have never shopped in the store so I have no experience to compare to competitors, (none in any other five towns or states I have ever lived in) To benefit your team where I could best utilize my experience, abilities and skills in a challenging position with advancement opportunities, with increasing responsibilities as a team member experiences

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Kohl's, He kept asking the question, then after repeating my answer, I said to Benefit my family financially to be able to keep the lifestyle we all enjoy.   1 Answer

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kohl's (Kenosha, WI) in January 2014.

Interview

It seemeed legit, ntil I met the person, then I was immediately apprehensive, the way they treat new hires is so terrible, you will go to find out for yourself, but please trust me these people are worse than awful, I have 15 years experience in retail sales, the ONLY reason I ended up here is because I was desperate, it is better to be unemploted than to work for Kohl's.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation? you are joking right, the worst people I have ever been in contact with in all of my retail experience, avoid this place at all costs.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Florence, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's (Florence, SC).

Interview

Online application then received a phone call for an interview which they do not tell you that it is a group interview! They ask simple questions you really have to stand out keep smiling and be confident

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview

Applied on company website, received an invitation to do an Hire Vue interview about ten minutes later. Was invited to Menomonee Falls corporate HQ for the final round. Immediately evident that they do this process multiple times for the same training class. Interview day consists of presentations by the company and three one on one interviews lasting 20 minutes each. Interviewers are good cop, bad cop and some what bad cop. Then they have you work in an group of people to come up with an strategy for an fictional situation to watch how you work in an group. Not enough time given to discuss each point let alone gather thoughts and come up with an strategy. Large amount of people flown in for very few jobs. Nice recruiters and presenters but it seems as if though there is movement in and out of the company quite quickly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an time that you had to analyze data for an project and what you learned from it?   1 Answer

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Kohl's.

Interview

I had one interview, I was out of high school. i applied for a seasonal position. They sat me in a big room with about 19 other people. a total of 20 of us interviewees. they paired us up in a group of 2 and had us interview the person next to us. It was very different.

Interview Questions

• Having to interview the person they assigned you to and then having to present that person with as much information that they told you.   Answer Question

Merchant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's (Menomonee Falls, WI).

Interview

I applies online and spoke with a recruiter over the phone. I was invited to a 2 day event in Milwaukee a few weeks later. It included a very casual networking dinner the night before and the interviews the following morning at corporate. There were three 1:1 interviews with various managers in the buying offices and then a group interview later in the day. They also gave a tour of the corporate office.

Interview Questions

• Group project/presentation: Should Kohl's go international and offer shipping to other countries? You have 20 minutes to work with a group of other candidates as 3 interviewers observe your interaction.   Answer Question