Kohl's

836 candidate interviews

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Menomonee Falls, WI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in April 2008.

Interview Details – My original phone interview went well and I was encouraged. I submitted a very generous schedule during which I could interview, which included over 30 hours per week of time when I was supposed to be working at my current job. I was stunned when I received (via e-mail) a detailed, half-day interview schedule for a time that I simply could not make it. I was very cordial and replied via e-mail stating I could not make it. I also called and left a voice mail message for the HR assistant. I received an e-mail stating that they would reschedule. I again submitted a very generous 30+ hours during 1st shift (including evening hours and early morning hours) of when I could come into interview. I again received a detailed, half-day interview schedule for a time I could not make. After I left a message for the assistant, I received an e-mail with the rationalization that this was the only time the interviewers could all get together. I simply could not jeopardize my current position. There were obligations at my then current job I simply had to make. I phoned the HR manager at Kohl's, the person with whom I had the original telephone interview. I explained my position, she was understanding and did reschedule for a time I could make.

I went on the interview and it went well. I was asked for five professional references, at least two of them would have to be former managers. I had been with the same company for 15 years. There was only one manager for whom I used to work that had left the company. I was unable to locate a manager from my job back in 1992. I'm not even sure that would be relevant. I had to contact a manager at my current employer. Fortunately, I have excellent references with my managers. I was able to confide in a previous manager that I was looking outside the company. Although he was sad that he had nothing open in his area, he said he would gladly provide a reference for me. The reference process involved filling out an extensive questionnaire on a website. That process took about 45 minutes. My answers to the questionnaire were then compared against answers from my references. At a second interview, I reviewed the reference checking with who would have been my new manager at Kohl's. I've never known a reference check to be more in-depth. On the one hand, I was impressed that Kohl's wanted to know specifics about my work history from people who witnessed it first hand. However, I was not happy that I was asked to find two former managers, in spite of my circumstances. I was also not happy with how much effort was involved for my references. I felt that the Kohl's manager spent too much time face-down in the results of the reference results (which included numbers, graphs, etc.) and not enough face-up time with me.

Ultimately, I was offered a position, which I turned down for another offer that came in about 2 days after the Kohl's offer. Although I am a computer professional with a great deal of logic ability, I am also highly intuitive. I had a negative feeling about the hiring manager. That's really unusual for me. Additionally, laptops were not standard issue for the job. Working from home was "something they were looking into".

I give my employer a great deal of flexibility: t-cons at 6am for over-seas collaboration, working at night when projects warrant it, and basically being available almost all of the time to connect remotely with the office to solve a problem or work on something. In exchange for this, I will attend my child's music program at school during the middle of the day. Perhaps I might leave work at 2:00 p.m. for an obligation. I am looking for flexibility, in return my employer gets certainly more than 40 hours per week and someone who is there just about 24/7. My track record (and references) show that. My work style was a boon to my previous employer and continues work very well for my current employed. It did not see any evidence that that was going to work at Kohl's.

When I declined the offer, Kohl's was genuinely interested as to why I went with the other offer. I spoke with the HR manager at length. There were many small things that led me to accepting the other offer. I did mention that the schedule flexibility at Kohl's seemed a bit rigid. I think under slightly different circumstances, this may have worked. I interviewed in 2008. Perhaps their issuing laptops now or allowing more flexible schedules. I'm still torn about the in-depth reference process.

Interview Question – In general, the most difficult questions came when I was responding to comments about my reference checks. Basically, why would one person say this, and another person say something sort of different.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I received an offer from a company that was much more organized in contacting me and setting up interviews. My new employer was much more flexible with hours (start/stop) and occasionally working from home when required. Salary was not a consideration. Unfortunately, I would have rejected the offer from Kohl's even if it were for more money.

Ad Set Associate Interview

Ad Set Associate
Riverbank, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kohl's in June 2010.

Interview Details – I got there late. I had car trouble, but they didn't seem to care or understand. I was asked my goals and I said to finish college, but I assume they thought I would leave after I graduated. I don't have a car of my own, so that was also a problem. They didn't ask much and just asked what I brought to the company. I've never worked in retail before. I never got a call back.

Interview Question – What are your goals?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Kohl's in October 2011.

Interview Details – Apply online. A week later I received a call for an interview. Went to the interview sent to break room to fill out an application again. Taken into a small office with a circle of chairs. Store manager asked 5 interview questions and went around the circle letting everyone answer. You will be contacted a couple weeks later for results. He let us know up front that you will be given less than 20 hours a week depending on how business is going.

Interview Question – What is your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Dothan, AL

I applied in-person - interviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

Interview Details – What Are they looking for in an employee why don't they give just anyone an opportunity

Interview Questions

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

Interview Details – I found at about Kohl's through a career fair on campus at my university. From there I applied through the career website and landed an interview. I attended an information session the night before the interview on campus. I passed the first interview and was asked to go to a local store for a 3-hour final interview. It was in the stock room because they have no formal conference rooms but otherwise it was very organized. However, they lost mine and another applicants name so when we arrived they did not have us down to interview. They figured it out fortunately. I had a store tour, Q&A session, and three interviews with three different senior leaders. Everyone is really nice and friendly. They even offered snacks and drinks at the final interview!

Interview Questions

• -Tell me a time you witnessed unethical behavior at work or school and what did you do?   Answer Question
  • -What are your long term objectives? How do you make sure your short term goals line up with your long term objectives?   Answer Question

Manager In Training (MIT) Interview

Manager In Training (MIT)
Evans, GA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in November 2011.

Interview Details – first one on one interview in the career fair of Kennesaw State University. Then got an email from corporate regarding the final interview. This interview lasted 4 hours. It was divided into 4 parts. there was a group situational interview where I was told to solve a certain situation with a customer and work with another candidate thus formiing a team and working to give good customer service. Then there were 2 interviews of 30 mins each with the district manager and university relations manager of the company. after that we had a presentation of what the company is all about. It was a different way of interview but felt really comfprtable and friendly environment

Interview Question – We have a strong charge card program. how would you sell a card to a customer who is adamant of not getting one. How would you overcome the initial NO of the customer?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by External Executive recruiters because of posting a resume on Monster.com. Had a first and second interview by phone--both meaningful, full-on interviews. Passed on to District Manager for face-to-face interview then a final with the Store Manager of my current location. All interviews were professional and serious but friendly.

Interview Question – It's always hard to answer what you expect for a salary. I gave my current salary at another retailer and indicated I was ready for an increase. During the final negotiations, I got a significant increase because I did my homework (thanks, Glassdoor!) and had experience they wanted.   View Answers (5)

Negotiation Details – see above

Store Manager Internship Interview

Store Manager Internship

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview Details – I went to a internship fair and talked to one of the people at Kohl's. I got an interview right on the spot. Went to the interview a few days later and got asked normal questions. Got invited to come back to second round of interviews, which included a one on one and a group interview. The group interview was definately different. My advice would be to listen attentively and talk with purpose. All of the people that interviewd me were great!

Interview Question – Tell me what your weakness is?   Answer Question

Point of Sale Associate Interview

Point of Sale Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Group Interview

Interview Question – Asked alot of questions. Be prepared! Questions about what you would do if you saw another employee stealing, how to assist customer that is not in your dept. or if you didn't know the answer to question customer was asking, describe a prior conflict you've had with other employee or employer, etc, etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Two family members applied for same job location. Only 1 family member can be in the same location. I gave up my offer to other family member

Opertional Manager Interview

Opertional Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Kohl's in January 2013.

Interview Details – Three step process- phone interview with recruiter (few background questions and what you are looking for), phone interview with manager ( asking questions about management style and how you deal with people), then face to face interview with HR and director ( company expectations, behavioral questions on how you deal with employees, peers and problem solving. Show us around the building and then opened it up to any questions about the business.

Interview Question – There were no surprising questions. Pretty up front.   View Answer

Worked for Kohl's? Contribute to the Community!