Kohl's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Manager Interview

Design Manager
Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in September 2010.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of multi-person interviews at the corp office. Very normal, no crazy questions. Most of the discussion was around what I thought of their product and how I would update it. They put me up for the weekend to check out the area with a Realtor. The recruiter had great follow up throughout the process.

Negotiation Details – Negotiated a good sign on bonus to make up for them not budging on the salary. Great relocation package.

POS Sales Associate Interview

POS Sales Associate
Lemont, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kohl's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied at Kohls a week before I received a call for a group interview on Snagajob.com . She had 3 scheduled group interviews that day & I has chosen the later one. Let me just first say I have been looking around EVERYWHERE for jobs thats not fast food and am normally extremely nervous when it comes to interviews, yet this one felt very different for me. My group interview wasn't exactly a group. It was me & this one other guy. We were told to go to Customer Service to wait. We were then asked to sit in the break room while we waited for the interviewer. I've always researched about group interviews and have gotten to know that when they tell you to wait with the group they look to see if are very interactive and friendly with your peers or co-workers while you wait. So I began to hold a conversation with him. He look older than me but was actually younger and in high school. After about 5 minutes of waiting in the break room the manager called us over, shook hands and handed us like a 6 page packet of information to fill out including information like references, past work experience, availability and consent to a background/drug test. She had us sit at our own individual desks outside her office to fill that out and when finished were supposed to hand them to her. Kohls really looks for open availability especially for an upcoming school year. Unfortunately the other guy was more into sports for school and basically had no availability whatsoever so she had basically told her she didn't want to waste his time and told him if he is available to give her a call back, so he left. So overall, the interview was then one on one. It was fairly easy and lasted only about 10-15 minutes at the most. She didn't ask me any questions about ME and school only the basic interview questions. For example, Why do you want to work for Kohls? Name a time when you went above and beyond. Name a time when you got frustrated. How would your previous boss describe you? Will you and are you able to solicit credit? I cant remember the rest but one question Kohls is big about is Is the customer always right? It was a fairly easy interview, she asked if I had any questions and I asked about dress code which is business casual with closed toe shoes. After that she asked if I had anymore questions, I said no, she told me she'd let me know if I got the job shortly, we shook hands & I left. I live about 10-15 minutes from this Kohls and I was home for about 5 minutes and I received a call from the manager telling me I was her last interview of the day, she really liked me and my availability and she mainly hired me because of my apparel which is a plus for me! I took the job and now have orientation in 2 weeks. I have an Old Navy group interview a week before Kohls orientation and if i get the ON job before Kohls orientation I would certainly keep the ON job than Kohls because of the distance from my school. So unfortunately I may or may not have any experience to give about Kohls but I hope my interview experience has helped!

Interview Question – Name a time when you were frustrated and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I will be paid minimum wage $8.25.

Sales Associate (Customer Service, MJM, Jewelry, POS) Interview

Sales Associate (Customer Service, MJM, Jewelry, POS)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called in a week or a little bit over a week. The interview was actually one on one with one of the assistant managers. He asked about myself then asked a couple of scenario questions. He then took me to meet the manager and I talked to him some. He asked me to fill out another reference on my sheet and also asked me to change my availability for an hour before and after the store closed because I would be available. I have never had a job or even been to a interview so this was a whole new experience to me. I just went in as prepared as possible, I smiled, listened, answered questions when they were asked and did my best to create some type of small talk. I do have a theater background so that's where I related most of my answers to. Overall I didn't want to get my hopes up so I kind of pushed it to the back of my mind until I got the call with the job offer and orientation, which was shockingly one on one as well! (Oh, and they never did end up calling any of my references.)

Interview Question – What would you did if you didn't know the answer to a customers question?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me the starting pay, I agreed, no negation took place.

Sales Floor Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through snag a job.com They called me 3 weeks later for a phone interview. The next week I went in for a second interview. This was a group interview with 2 people. More people where suppose to show up but didn't. It was very simple, they only asked about 8 questions. Right after the interview they told me I got the job.

Interview Question – Tell me a time where you where late for something? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Industry, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview Details – Don't even remember when I applied. Got a call to come in for an interview, only available time was the next day, so I went. They didn't tell me to bring anything, but I decided to bring my resume anyways (and damn good I brought it because interviewer asked for it). I dressed up pretty formal, slacks, shirt, tie, dress shoes. First thing that happened was I went to the back of the store to customer service. Lady at the desk told me to sign in and fill out a form in the break room. Went inside, filled it out, waiting for more people to show up (i was expecting it to be a group interview). After about 20 minutes, someone came in the room and called my name. I was pretty surprised, but at the same time, pretty happy because I knew it was going to be a 1 on 1 interview. The man who interviewed me was the HR Manager, I believe, really nice guy. Fairly easy interview process. He went over my resume, asked me about everything that was on there, to know more about me. Then, we moved on to more situational questions. What would you do if you saw another employee stealing? What would you do if a customer needed help in a different department? Easy stuff, just prepare and you'll do fine. Remember to always smile, you're trying to get a customer service job, act like one. After he was done asking me questions, he told me that he still had some more interviewees to go, but he liked me and wanted to hire me on the spot. I accepted, and he asked which department I'd like to work. They only had a couple available and I chose one. Then, filled out some more standard paperwork. Said my goodbye's, and he told me that I would get a call in a day about my orientation date. Got a call within one hour confirming my orientation in exactly one week's time. Great interview process. Easy interview process. All you gotta do is prepare, smile, and be personable.

Interview Question – Is the customer always right?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, min wage, which was about a little over 9 bucks

Sales Floor Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kohl's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I got a voicemail from Kohl's the day after I applied online, called back as soon as I could, and of course the hiring manager wasn't working at that time. 2 days and 4 calls later and I finally got ahold of her and set up my interview. I'd been researching Kohl's interview questions on glassdoor and expected a group interview. I felt prepared to ace it. I got to the store 20 minutes early, expecting to fill out paperwork like many other applicants had mentioned. There was no paperwork. I stood around for 50 minutes waiting for my interviewer, but it was okay because I really wanted the job. Finally, my interviewer got me and brought me back to her office. I'm pretty sure I nailed every question because I recognized them all from glassdoor and had time to study them! At the end of the interview, she pulled out some paperwork and handed me a pen and asked me which department I preferred to work in, to which I responded "wherever you see fit for me." She suggested juniors and intimates. Then she said, "You're 17, right?" I can't believe I went through that whole process without realizing you have to be 17 to work at Kohl's. I'm 16 and a half. So, to make it clear for my fellow young applicants, you have to be 17 to work at Kohl's. My interviewer was confused as to how I even got through the application process, considering I honestly answered I was 16. Weird. At least I know I would have had a good chance of being hired had I been 17.

Interview Question – What was something nice you did for someone else without being asked, be it in the workplace or in your personal life?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview Details – Group meeting. Group Q&A Session. Managers just did 99% of the talking. Were broken into teams to "find" items in the store. Very informal and unprofessional. Everyone was hired. Most didn't work out. I took it because I just needed a job, any job.

Interview Question – Not really questioned about anything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. You are paid minimum wage, not a dime more.

Succasunna, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied during the holiday season by just filling out an application that was sitting on a table in the front of the store. I handed it in at customer service and received a call within the next few weeks. I went in for a group interview, which included people for several different positions (POS, Recovery, Truck, etc) and we were all asked our names and what positions we wanted and to fill out some paperwork. And we went over store policies and some company policies and that was really it. I got a post-it note with my next shifts' hours on it, and that was basically considered my (paid) training. I started working very very soon after.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to overcome an obstacle for the sake of a task   View Answer

Kohls Department Associate Interview

Kohls Department Associate
Sioux City, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohl's in June 2014.

Interview Details – They frown upon being late. Once you arrive the first thing you do is fill out a lot of paperwork. Make sure that you know who your references are. You should have at least 2, 3 is better than 2. Know when you will be available and know your past employers.

Interview Question – Where you recognized for something that you did?   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Supervisor Interview

Loss Prevention Supervisor
Bristol, CT

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Kohl's in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. HR called almost immediately after I applied scheduling my interview for 3 days later. I show up at my assigned time, waited, only to have HR come out and tell that it was filled by someone coming back from a leave of absence but to keep checking the website anyway! Seriously, not even a phone call! Never again. NO compassion for applicants