Kohl's

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.2

Store Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview was super casual however the case study was super clustered. They had 8 of us in a case study due to short time and it was honestly a debacle.

Sales Associate Interview

First, about a week after I put in my application on sangajob, I was invited in to do a group interview. The group interview was with four other interviewees. The group in interview went well and I was call.about three days later to do another interview with the store manager. That interview also went well. Then I was called about two days later about the job offer and to set up an orientation date.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2014.

They called me for a group interview, when I showed up there was about 11 other people there. We were taken into a room and sat on chairs in a circle facing the interviewer. (She has now been working for the company for 9 years I believe she said? and she also started off as a seasonal employee). She made all of us introduce ourselves, (when It got to my turn I mentioned things I didn't list in my resume and I also emphasized how I currently own my own online business), then she went around and asked each person a single question, (for example: "why should Kohl's pick you?" "Name a time you had conflict with an employee and resolved it.") before I went into the interview I searched reviews here on Glassdoor also on Yahoo Answers and I visited the companies website to see what they were all about and what they stood for. When the interviewer got to me she asked me, "Why do you wanna work at Kohl's?" and SINCE I had done my researched answered with something along the lines of, "I wanna work at Kohls because I believe in what the company stands for, bringing awareness to breast cancer is important because it is a growing issue here in our country and I like that Kohl's in environmentally friendly, I know that Kohl's recycles and builds energy efficient buildings." She smiled and said, "You did your homework, huh?" and I responded yes :-) Opposed to the other candidates she had asked the same question, they responded with "I am a customer here, I like the environment, blah blah blah." So in short make sure your answers stand out. Also she noticed that the shirt I was wearing was from a line of theirs and even commented on it! (: Afterwards she gave us forms to fill out and as soon as we turned them in we were allowed to leave. Also note that a background check will be performed and if you decline to a drug test they won't even bother with you. Also schedule availability/flexibility goes a long way, especially in seasonal positions! All in all I had a good experience, (this was my second interview ever, 1st one was at Chipotle and it was awful!)

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one, question's are pretty basic just do your research, read some articles, be prepared. Speak clearly and try not to come off as nervous!   View Answer
    No negotiation, $9.05 take it or leave it.

Kohls Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kohl's.

Applied online and received a call the next day. When I got there the employees were kinda giving me the eye. They seemed to be thrown off by someone wearing a vest. They sent me to the back and there were 10-25 other people sitting in this lobby like area. Allot of them looked like they came in off the street. I was surprised when they called around 15 people to come sit around a table (all for the same job).

The interviewer didn't even make eye contact with us he spent the whole time looking down at a paper. He asked a question then one by one we had to answer the question. It felt pretty degrading to be honest. The people that turned up ranged from 18 year olds to 50 year olds. Unsurprisingly the older people made the young people look like fools. Honestly felt like we were only there to fill the seat.

As we leave, the interviewer shakes our hands. This time he only looks at the women and doesn't make eye contact or speak to the men at all. I watched him the entire time, I was the last to leave the room.

It is the worst interview experience I had ever had up till today. Young people and first timers, stay away especially if you're a guy. Introverts, do yourself a favor and stay away.

Interview Questions
    • Really generic pointless questions that barely have anything to do with the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's.

Got a call soon after applying. Applied online, before asking for personal information, had to pass a presonality quiz. It was a group interview with 5 other people. Had to fill out a few forms then we were asked some questions.

Sales Floor Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2014.

I thought this was a joke. I applied online and was contacted within 24 hours. Went to a fairly simple sit down interview and literally up and left after I heard the starting pay was 7.55/hr.Was basically offered a job by simply applying.

I was looking for a little part-time gig for the holidays. I don't expect to get rich in a retail job, but minimum wage for a experience and a degree is pathetic. I answered some generic questions and when we got to the part on salary I literally laughed and said thank you, that'll be all and walked out.

Interview Questions
    • None. Tell me a time you gave great customer service... all the generic questions. For minimum wage, i dont know why they even bother   View Answer

The pay was terrible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairview Heights, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairview Heights, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's in October 2014.

I applied for the position on a Monday evening and on Tuesday afternoon they called to schedule an interview. The interview was very relaxed the hiring manager was friendly and straight forward. Their company is very customer service oriented so that was the main focus of my responses

I interviewed on Thursday the next Friday they called to offer employment. All in all good experience so far. I have orientation next week.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define customer service? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    Orientation on Thursday

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2014.

This is my first job so I was quite nervous (i'M MAKING THIS REALLY DETAILED JUST IN CASE SOMEONE WANTS TO APPLY). I applied Oct. 1st but didn't get a call around the 23rd. Tbh I honestly forgot about Kohl's since I was applying at every store practically everyday. The interview was on Saturday the 25th. I came in the store to customer service and the woman there was so friendly. Apparently the guy that was interviewing me was a nice person so she kept laughing at me because I was so nervous and told me not to worry. When I went to the back room he had me fill out some papers which I thought was weird (At every other interview I went they never had me fill out papers) but I learned soon enough that that was for my background check and a list of things that goes on in the store and if I'm willing to do any of those things. When I was done filling out forms he came and sat down so we could start the interview. He started off by telling me how long he's been in retail and how long he's been at Kohl's. Then proceeded with the questions about myself. Out of all the interviews I've done with other companies (such as Dairy Queen, Subway, Target etc.) this was the easiest interview. He made some jokes so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable and it worked lol. At the end when he asked if there were any questions I had I started freaking out lol he actually answered all the questions I was planning on asking him during the interview so I just said no and he laughed and said it's okay. Questions that he asked will be down under along with the answer I gave. At the end of the interview he told me that I shouldn't worry cause he thought the interview went great and that someone would call me when my background check is finished. They called two days later saying that I passed and that orientation for new employees is the 2nd of Nov.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself   View Answer
    • Why do I want to work for Kohl's   View Answer
    • Name a time when someone frustrated you   View Answer
    • Do I have any problems with asking customers if they would like to sign up for a Kohl's charge card   View Answer
    • Name a time when you went above and beyond for someone   View Answer
    He asked what would I like my pay to be and I just said minimum wage. I thought I have no right to negotiate since it would be my first job and minimum wage here in Washington is 9.32 so i absolutely had no problem lol

POS Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2014.

I got called in for a group interview about a month after I applied. Showed up with about a minute to spare. Two other people came in late and one of them was about 7 minutes late and she still got the job. (show up early!) There was about 12 of us in the whole group interview and there were only 4 guys including myself. 4 of us were only 18 years old and the rest were 25 and even up to 40 years old ! They started by asking us to state are names and our previous job experience and if we have ever worked in retail.(I haven't) They then asked us two questions they wanted to ask and said to raise your hand if you felt like answering. It seemed the people with the most retail experience and most talkative didn't get the job. They went and talked for a few minutes and called some people out of the room and came back to us saying we got the job. So if you get called your most likely not gonna get it. They didn't ask us any tricky questions like "why should we hire you" or anything like that but it'd be smart to have those types of questions answered in your head. Dress casual and be polite and professional and you should be golden. I'm normally very nervous and shy around new people but I just sucked it up and figured if I don't get the job then oh well. Just be yourself, keep a positive look on your face, and smile when necessary. Try to keep a toothless smile on your face most of the time and make eye contact.�� Hopes this helps !

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Kohl's.

I applied in person and i got called in for an interview along with other people too, it was pretty easy and more of a group interview, after that i spoke with the manager and was given the job