Kohl's Manager In Training Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2014

2.6

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager In Training Interview

Glassdoor pretty much sums up all the questions you will get asked, found this site very useful.

What is the Kohls culture?
How do you manage your time?
Tell me about a time you failed?
How did you handle a conflict with a manager?

better offer

Other Interview Reviews for Kohl's

Manager In Training Interview

Interviewed through an on-campus job fair. The interviewers were current store management and a disrtict manager. They asked about my leadership experience, both in work and in school, as well as how I would use my skills in a job setting. Once I made it to the second round, we interviewed in a store with several other candidates. We took a tour of the store and had interviews there.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part of the interview was when they put all of the candidates in a group in fron of the panel and gave us a case study. They asked us to devise a solution to the problem and observed us worknig together in a group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in February 2014.

The interview last for about 30 minutes, with about 6-7 general questions. Most of them are "what did you do" type of questions. These questions are very easy, but it will show your personality and managerial behaviors. I was expecting to be asked some questions related to Kohl's or any experiences related to retail management, but most of them asking about failures and mistakes in the past.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in September 2013.

I went to a career fair at my school, and talked with one of the associates there, and left my resume. I received an email a little later saying they were interested in my application. The next interview I went to was 15 minutes, and very simple. The guy I talked to had a list of questions, all very simple. I left feeling confident, but I still wasn't sure if this was what I wanted. I received another email saying I had made it to the last interview. This interview was much longer. I was with 3 other people, we were taken on a tour of the store. After that we worked together as a group on a case study, again very simple. As we worked we were watched by about 5 other recruiters. Then we were split up and had 2 one on one interviews. The people who interviewed me were very friendly. They gave the impression that this was a great company to work for. However, when I spoke with the last guy, we kind of discovered this job was not really what I was looking for. I still left with a very positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's.

I applied through Ohio State's FutureLink database and was contacted by e-mail with a better description of the MIT position. I was asked to set up a phone interview which lasted about 15 minutes and told me more about the job position. I tried to be as enthusiastic as possible but was not really asked much about myself at the time. I was asked at the end of the phone interview to set up an in-person interview at my local Kohl's with their Manager and my phone interviewer. The interview seemed fairly easy and all questions basically asked what I would do in certain situations other than the "tell me about yourself." They seemed concerned during the interview that I currently work in retail sales at a small boutique and that I would experience "culture shock" working for Kohl's. I left thinking that the interview went very well other than that and sent a follow-up letter later that day.

Interview Questions
    • They had pretty general interview questions. They asked about willingness to relocate but had no answers of where relocation would be.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kohl's in March 2012.

I got the interview through my career services at my college. The first interview was an on-campus interview with a current store manager and an assistant store manager. Both of them were very personable and friendly and this is what really sold me on the position--the people are genuine and super friendly. That's just how Kohl's culture is.

After that first interview, which was a very simple 30-minute gig with pretty easy behavioral-type questions, I received an email inviting me to second-round interviews at a local Kohl's store. I had two group interviews with store managers, recruiters and district managers. Again, some behavioral questions, but some situational too. Make sure you emphasize your management/leadership potential and your love for working in teams.

Then, an assistant manager and a past MIT intern gave us a store tour. After the tour, the other interviewees and I were divided into teams and were asked to read and present a solution to a case study. The case study was ridiculously easy and the presentation wasn't serious at all. We basically just read the case out loud, shared our proposed solutions, and called it a day. I think by then the managers and recruiters had already made their hiring decisions, that's why they didn't give us feedback on the case.

Culture-wise, Kohl's is a very Midwestern company that emphasizes "family values" and a tight-knit culture. I definitely got a feel of that during interviews, and it was great. The people are what got me excited for the position, 'cause I could see myself working with them. They're really nice and friendly.

This position will be great for you if you're like me and get bored with desk-job cubicle culture and want to get your feet wet in management. I'm still not sure if retail is my thing, but management definitely is, and this position will help you get that leadership/managerial experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your dream job/where do you see yourself 5, 10 years down the road?   View Answer
    • What do you think is a good excuse for not completing a task?   View Answer
    • How do you multi-task and manage your time?   Answer Question
    The salary wasn't negotiable. But, always ask anyway and over the phone, NOT via email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kohl's in January 2012.

I met a recruiter and an event and spoke to them at length. I submitted my resume and was contacted for an interview. I was interviewed twice in one day on campus and was then invited to the final interview with the district and regional managers. I was again interviewed twice and had to do a quick project with fellow interviewees.

Interview Questions
    • The project was the most unexpected element, we were given a typical issue of a kohl's store and given 10 minutes to come up with a solution in a team and then present it to our interviewers. Our interviewers watched as we discussed ideas in teams and then as we presented.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, all interns were given the same starting rate. The same for the starting rate offered at the end of internship to those interns that were given a job offer after graduation. Everyone was offered the same base pay with adjustments made for work location.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2011.

I met with a recruiter at the career fair and I received an e-mail saying that they wanted to interview me soon thereafter. The interview was a standard 1:1 interview that involved a large amount of behavioral based questions as well as the basics such as why I chose Penn State and so forth.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to conform to a policy you didn't agree with?   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

I found at about Kohl's through a career fair on campus at my university. From there I applied through the career website and landed an interview. I attended an information session the night before the interview on campus. I passed the first interview and was asked to go to a local store for a 3-hour final interview. It was in the stock room because they have no formal conference rooms but otherwise it was very organized. However, they lost mine and another applicants name so when we arrived they did not have us down to interview. They figured it out fortunately. I had a store tour, Q&A session, and three interviews with three different senior leaders. Everyone is really nice and friendly. They even offered snacks and drinks at the final interview!

Interview Questions
    • -Tell me a time you witnessed unethical behavior at work or school and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • -What are your long term objectives? How do you make sure your short term goals line up with your long term objectives?   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in January 2010.

The first part of the interview was a info session where they disscussed the job and any other questions we had regarding the interview process and MIT program.

The next day it was 2 people interviewing me and the questions were pretty basic. Nothing that I could not answer. It was all behavioral type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you were not successful and how did you deal with that situation?   Answer Question