Kohl's Merchandise Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kohl's (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. 1st round was on campus and was very relaxed and conversational with some behavior based questions. 2nd round was in Milwaukee at the Kohl's headquarters. They take you on a tour of the buying offices and around parts of the corporate building. There's also 3 rounds of one on one interviews with 3 different buyers and analysts. Also relaxed for the most part and conversational. And the last round was a short group case study.

Interview Questions

• If you were to pick any new celebrity endorser for Kohl's, who would it be and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kohl's

Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kohl's (Menomonee Falls, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

Very informative yet conversational. Everyone was beyond nice. If you do some research on the company and prepare a little before the interview then you will be fine. You will have a dinner the night before which will allow you to meet your group members in which you will have the group interview with. Overall, it was fun!

Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Kohl's (Menomonee Falls, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

I have worked for Kohl's Department store for three years. This does NOT matter in the interview process/internship position. I spoke with a university recruiter on the phone and from there he sent me a link to the video interviews which you are given a week to complete. From there I was moved on to the third interview process. The night before the final interview event, Kohl's hosted a candidate dinner where you meet your group for the final interview's group case study. The dinner is relaxed and a current employee from the buying team will be there to talk with and answer your questions about the interview to their best ability. The next day you go to the Menomonee Falls corporate offices and eat brunch. Then they split up the candidates into two groups. One group will move on to their interviews and the others will tour the building and wellness center. The interviews were very relaxed with multiple people interviewees and interviewers in a room. Three one on one interviews take place and then the group study occurs. The case study is very important. Do not steam roll others, but make sure to participate and get your words out. As a retail merchandising student, I was intimidated by the finance majors in my group, therefore, effecting my performance and confidence. The case study was: "If Kohl's were to make a pop-up shop, where would they do it, what would they sell (products, assortment etc.), and at what price.

Interview Questions

• What on your resume are you most proud of?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a vendor if they sent an order of 2,000 sandals to a Wisconsin store in November when it was supposed to go to a California store?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kohl's (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through my school's website. Before the interview I was given a case question about rather or not they should Launch a new product in the store. Then i was told to walk them through my resume and asked other questions about myself. There were no behavior questions.

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's.

Interview

Applied on company website, received an invitation to do an Hire Vue interview about ten minutes later. Was invited to Menomonee Falls corporate HQ for the final round. Immediately evident that they do this process multiple times for the same training class. Interview day consists of presentations by the company and three one on one interviews lasting 20 minutes each. Interviewers are good cop, bad cop and some what bad cop. Then they have you work in an group of people to come up with an strategy for an fictional situation to watch how you work in an group. Not enough time given to discuss each point let alone gather thoughts and come up with an strategy. Large amount of people flown in for very few jobs. Nice recruiters and presenters but it seems as if though there is movement in and out of the company quite quickly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an time that you had to analyze data for an project and what you learned from it?   1 Answer

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's in December 2014.

Interview

I initially applied online for the MAT program and had an internal employee refer me as well. I was invited to do an online interview which was pre-recorded questions. I was given 30 seconds after asked the question to answer the question while being recorded via web cam. Why do you want to join Kohl's, What are qualities in a mentor/boss you admire, a question about teamwork...I think there were 4 questions. I was then invited to an on-site final interview. There was a networking/dinner with candidates and then the following morning was the final interviews. I met with three different people for about 20 mins each and then there was a group situation where we were presented with a situation and asked to give a recommendation (About shipping internationally). Kohl's did an awesome job running the whole process, very impressive and professional.

Interview Questions

• The group scenario--It's not so much the response they are looking for but how you interact in the group.   Answer Question

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kohl's.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at my college career fair. Received an initial on campus interview. The interview was fairly straight forward. There was a case question that you receive 10 minutes before the interview that you just go over with the interviewer and then then questions were fairly behavioral. Got asked to interview at their final round at the Milwaukee headquarters. The final round consists of 3 one on one interviews and then a group case interview.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you dealt with a manager you did not get one with and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Kohl's.

Interview

On campus interview, followed by a final round at company headquarters. Process took about a week. Group interview at final interview day seemed to carry a lot of weight. Given a case study at campus interview and then most behavioral and fit questions. Did not feel that anything was too technical they just want to get a feel for the applicants thought process.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would change about a Kohl's store?   Answer Question

Retail just not my preferred area for my career.

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Kohl's in October 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee of Kohl's. I received an email from the recruiter with a link to a video interview. You have 7 days to complete the interview. The video interview had 5 questions that you record yourself answering. After that you go to Milwaukee for two days of in-person interview and then they extend offers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in retail at Kohl's? What makes a good team? What are some of your favorite jobs? What's an example of when you've been analytical with finances? Describe the characteristics of your favorite mentor or manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's (Milwaukee, WI) in October 2014.

Interview

I was connected with a recruiter and completed an online video interview. The second round of interviews was held at their corporate office outside of Milwaukee and consisted of a group dinner, tour of the offices, and presentations on the company. The interview process consisted of three 1:1 interviews as well as a group interview. I enjoyed the entire experience and was impressed with how much goes into their internship program. Our travel, hotel, and food expenses were covered. The three 1:1 interviews consisted of basic behavioral questions and felt as if the interviewers were genuinely trying to get to know me. In the group interview we were given a business situation that we had to analyze and present a solution within 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions. How would you deal with a difficult team member?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non negotiable