Kohl's

2.0

82 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bourbonnais, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bourbonnais, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in August 2013.

It was really simple. I applied online, and about a week later received a call to come in for an interview. It was a group interview with about eight other people. The next round was a one on one interview with a manager. It was really quick and only took ten minutes. At the end of the interview I was offered a position.

Interview Questions
  • I would say that none of the questions are really unexpected, but since it's a group interview everyone had to answer the same question. Just make sure you stand out amongst the group. And NEVER say you don't know to a question. One guy did that three times in the interview. He didn't get the job.   Answer Question
There was no negotiation. I started at minimum wage.

Other Interview Reviews for Kohl's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's in July 2013.

Group Interview. Pretty chill feeling all around, they ask questions and encourage everyone to answer. There was only five of us when I was interviewed (I hear another group had about 12 people). They ask scenario questions, why you want to work there, availability, etc. Basic questions. They asked a few of us to stay after it was done for "questions" and basically gave us a pre-employment packet. to fill out. A week later they called and offered a job and told me that my orientation would be the following day.
    Tip: Just be confident and try to relate whatever you are talking about to the job and you should be fine. Show that you are qualified and able to handle situations. Dress up too.

Interview Questions
    • They asked if I was ever in situation where I wasn't getting along with someone or something similar to that and how I had addressed that situation.   View Answer
    No negotiation, basic minimum wage they told us at orientation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Succasunna, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Succasunna, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in November 2012.

I applied during the holiday season by just filling out an application that was sitting on a table in the front of the store. I handed it in at customer service and received a call within the next few weeks. I went in for a group interview, which included people for several different positions (POS, Recovery, Truck, etc) and we were all asked our names and what positions we wanted and to fill out some paperwork. And we went over store policies and some company policies and that was really it. I got a post-it note with my next shifts' hours on it, and that was basically considered my (paid) training. I started working very very soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to overcome an obstacle for the sake of a task   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's.

Applied online, then came in for an in-store interview. I was interviewed by one of the managers- the questions were pretty basic and straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to solve an unexpected problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

It was a group interview of about six women in the storage room. The manager asked questions and the assistant manager took notes on what we said the whole time. They asked basic questions like, Is the customer always right?, Name a time when you went above and beyond with your customer service, tell me a bit about yourself, why do you want to work here? They also wanted to know if we had any questions at the end of the interview, and I somewhat jokingly asked what they were looking for in an interviewee, which really broke the ice (better late than never I guess) and got everyone laughing. They said they were looking for someone with a positive attitude and really upbeat. I also asked how they handled really difficult situations in the store in reference to black friday because it was coming up soon. They left for about ten minutes to discuss and when they came back I was chosen along with three others to go to another room and were offered the job and filled out paperwork. I had done some significant scouring of Glassdoor before the interview so that I would know what kind of questions they would ask. I usually get really nervous and my mind goes blank. But this time I was totally prepared thanks to reading other people's interview comments on this site. There was only one question that I was asked that I had prepared for, but I fudged my way through it pretty well at that point.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a difficult situation/customer? They asked twice in a different way each time which made it difficult when I only had one example in mind.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Only slightly more than minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Kohl's in October 2012.

My interview and hiring process was handled very professionally. I was brought int o speak with one of the store managers. They were very prompt and I was impressed with their training, even for a part-time associate.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not as expected in a corporate environment. I had had previous retail experience and it was mostly focused on previous experience and my people skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westbrook, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westbrook, ME

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Kohl's in September 2012.

Simple review of my earlier years of retail experience. Asked what my expectations were.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kohl's in June 2012.

Applied in person, received a phone call asking for an interview a week later. It was a group interview, one of 5 they were conducting that day. There were around 7 people in my group, and 3 didn't show up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hi-Nella, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hi-Nella, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Kohl's in June 2012.

They took a group of us into the back room, where they went around asking the same questions to everyone. It was a tedious process where they asked basic boring questions like describe a great work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you had to do something you didn't want to do? or something along those lines.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Niguel, CA

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Kohl's in May 2012.

I received a call right before the weekend to schedule an interview. Only two time to choose, 9am or 12pm. I appeared 10 minutes prior to the interview and was told to wait in a conference room located in the back of the store. By the time it was time to interview, there were a total of approx. 9 people applying for the job. The interview was conducted by the Store Manager. We all ranged in age from 18 to 50+ and everyone had significant retail to management experience. The Store Manager began asking questions and pointed to whomever was to answer. It was a simple process. I had already been offered a job at Walmart, so this was for curiousity and to better my interview skills. At the end, we were able to ask questions to the Store Manager. I found out the store was only looking to hire part-time workers at $8.30 per hour. This was the lowest pay out of all the places I applied. Additionally, there was great emphasis on the need to sell the Kohl's credit card to the customers. Management wanted to see at least 1-2 activations per day. At this point, I wasn't too interested in the position. The Store Manager left to discuss her results with an Assistant Manager who would be joining on the second round of interview questions. As far as I know, if you did make it past the second round, you are then offered employment and start filling out the paperwork...