Kohler

Relevance Date Difficulty

Hospitality Interview

Hospitality
Kohler, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Kohler in December 2013.

Interview Details – Kohler came to our career fair. Applied online for internship position. Got interview--interviewed one-on-one with recruiter. She was extremely nice, informative, and had a great sense of humor. After the interview, she called me a couple weeks later and told me about the second round of interviews.

Second round was onsite--I got a group tour along with a number of other candidates. After the tour, we had a 6 on 6 panel interview. Seemed intimidating at first but the Kohler workers had a great sense of humor and lightened the mood. They asked us questions about leadership, personal experience in service, why we liked Kohler, etc. The interview was fair, friendly, and very helpful.

Got an offer from Kohler about three weeks after the second round interview--I'm sure the holiday season delayed the process by a few days to a week.

Interview Question – What are the three traits that you believe define a leader? Do you think you possess those traits?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Kohler, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kohler.

Interview Details – The process took quite a long time and had a number of steps. The last step was to come in for an in person interview with about five individuals. I enjoyed meeting everyone there and I think that they did a good job once you actually got to work with someone at the company. They outsource their first round interviews to a third party, be prepared to repeat yourself more than once as my recruiter had no idea what she was asking. Overall, other than the first step, the process went pretty smooth. It also helps if you have other offers as they will speed things up for you.

Interview Question – Did not notice any unexpected questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had a better offer from another company.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Sheboygan, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kohler in October 2013.

Interview Details – First round is a simple phone interview, second and third rounds are both on-site ones. The phone interview is just 25 minutes, and the HR(normally) will go through your resume and ask such simple questions regarding your interns before and several project experience before.

Interview Question – What do you know the cultural value of Kohler Company?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Because it is a position especially set up for undergraduate students and mechs, and I am really an Industrial Engineer.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Kohler, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kohler in July 2013.

Interview Details – I had applied online for a co-op position, but they decided to give me the opportunity to interview for an entry level position instead. The project manager (EE) contacted me via email and we set up a phone interview. It was a conference phone interview with an EE and ME. Phone interview went well and they decided to fly me out for an on site interview. HR contacted me to ask some general questions. Before I flew out, I was required to take an assessment test which was 2 hours long. On site interview consisted of two 1 on 1 interviews, a panel interview, interview over lunch and a plant tour. Everything went well and the people were nice, but I didn't feel like it was the right environment for me. Total process took 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Something along the lines of how you would improve their systems.   Answer Question

Engineer - Mechanical Interview

Engineer - Mechanical
Kohler, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kohler in August 2013.

Interview Details – The HR executive had no clue about the position, why it was created, trainings offered, responsibilities, or anything remotely connected with the position I was interviewing for. How can someone be judged to be a good fit if the interviewer has no idea what is needed. I knew the outcome of the interview the moment the interviewer made doubly sure of my current salary and my expectations. Come on, no ons is going to work at a senior level for peanuts.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. But I would request the interviewer to be better prepared as a mark of respect to the candidate and for the sake of the company paying your salary.
Additionally, I would request the company to mention what they intend to pay in their ad. This way no one will be wasting anyone's time.
  View Answers (2)

Sales Coordinator/Administrative/Secretary Interview

Sales Coordinator/Administrative/Secretary
Sheboygan, WI

I applied online and interviewed at Kohler.

Interview Details – Such a long process for all positions. I have been trying to get into Kohler for over 7 months because I'm trying to move to the area, with no avail. Have taken online caliper tests, had numerous phone interviews, an in-office Wunderlic test, a 3-person panel interview, 3 separate interviews in one day... and I come from out of state.

Thought I nailed every interview but about a month or 2 later I always get an automated email turning me down. The rejection is awful after putting in so much time and energy and the waiting for ANY word from ANYONE is as drawn out as possible. You need months of time for this process, so don't go quitting a job or turning down offers because of high hopes.

Interview Question – "Do you know SAP?" "The current employee in this position seems to have a lot of free time - what would you do to occupy your downtime?"   View Answers (4)

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Kohler, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Kohler in March 2009.

Interview Details – horrible and took months, wasted time, and had to decline two other offers, while waiting for this ridiculous process to play out, HR was from India and didn't know the language that well...had tests and had to stay at that horrible, dirty hotel the american club, disgusting and ugly...who did it should go....away.

Interview Question – did I like the american club!   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – none whatsoever

Market Analyst - Latin America Interview

Market Analyst - Latin America
Sheboygan, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kohler in October 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening lasted about 15 minutes. General questions asked followed by an interview by hiring manager. Interview with hiring manager more typical interview questions asked. Last 20 minutes were in Spanish.

Interview Question – The last 20 minutes in Spanish caught me off guard.   View Answer

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Kohler, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kohler.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call from recruiter after bout 2 weeks. Asked general questions like why are you looking for a change in Job. There was no response for about 3 weeks. Then got a call from Kohler for a Phone Interview. Interview went well, but from the hiring manager, I understood the sill set in the Job advertised is different from what the hiring manager is looking for.

Interview Question – Regular questions about my skill set as it is phone interview   View Answer

Communications Manager Interview

Communications Manager
Kohler, WI

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Kohler in March 2010.

Interview Details – This is by far the worst experience I have ever had for an interview process. This HR department is run really poorly and they add way too many layers to attract any serious employee. Months pass between first contact and follow up. A long series of tests that will stay with you for years if you do eventually get hired. Eventually a phone interview by an HR generalist who has no idea what the job entails. Just be detailed and talk over their heads and you will get by the phone interview. Second phone interview with somebody a little more informed. If that passes you will hear nothing for quite some time. Complete silence. Emails will not be returned. Suddenly months later you will be asked to come in for a face to face. There could be up to three of these. More silence. No communication. Then acceptance or a form letter saying you have not been chosen. Please keep in mind. This is how the company will treat you for years to come if you do work for them. Big name Kohler likes to rest on their name but they treat people very poorly. Keep this in mind. This HR department is a labyrinth of bureaucracy. They have nothing else to add to the company so the process suffers.

Interview Question – Nothing that isn't textbook. These people are not very knowledgeable about the actual position so they rely heavily on the basic textbook interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Basically none. They have a slotted price range and they stick to it. You can probably talk them into more vacation though. That is the easiest route to success. Try to get as much as you can upfront because once you get in they have ceilings that prevent you from ever earning a whole lot more. Even as you move up, if you move up, the HR rulebook caps the amount of salary increase you can get unless it is approved by HVK. 99% of managers will not go that far for an employee so you are stuck with the salary range. I wish I knew this before I got hired.

Worked for Kohler? Contribute to the Community!