Kontagent

Kontagent Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

Field Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Kontagent.

Great process and very indepth. Felt prepared and not overwhelmed - team was easy to talk with and get your excited about the opportunity. Culture was good for a long day of interviewing

Demand Generation Intern Interview

The hiring process had two rounds. The first round was a phone screen with the recruiter and the second was an on-site interview with the two marketing managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you didn't know anything and had to jump in and do it.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kontagent in December 2013.

Initial Contact made through LinkedIn to HR rep(?!). Setup a brief phone interview talking about background and technical aptitudes. Followed then by a technical phone interview with the head of data science. This consisted of specific questions about statistics and machine learning techniques. Called in for in-person interview and met with three members of the team, including head of R&D - this was social but also technical. Technical aspect was hands on tackling of a problem, given an hour to work on it alone.

Interview Questions
    • The technical problem solving. Extract data from SQL database and attempt to find differences between fraudulent and non-fraudulent internet purchases (unsupervised).   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Kontagent.

Interview process began with an after-work cocktail reception at their office. There were plenty of staff, but at least 30 candidates. Afterwards, I was called back for an interview. The interview began with a test and a very comprehensive application. Then I met with 5+ people in 30 minute increments. Everyone was pretty friendly and I was told I would be hired on. However, the next day when I contacted HR to have them expedite (I was sitting on another offer,) I never heard back.

Data Processing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Kontagent in July 2013.

My application was submitted by a former colleague of mine internally. The next step was a technical phone screen that lasted 45 minutes. There were effectively two technical problems I was asked to work through during the process. The first was a relatively standard data structures problem, while the second was more focused on data processing and memory allocation. The interviewer was more interested in my thought process than getting a correct answer.

I was asked to come in for an in person interview as well as to take two online personality assessments. Additionally, there was a programming assignment that was to be completed 24 hours before the interview in my language of choice.

The in person interview consisted of 5 sessions composed of 1 mental flexibility assessment, 3 technical interviews and 1 general interview. It lasted 3.5 hours. One of the technical interviews was a code review (to review the homework assignment), another was focused on the engineering team and what they do, and the third was basically an hour of algorithm questions.

I found the entire process pretty fun. The people there are super friendly and the environment looks very conducive to productivity as well as a good amount of work-time fun.

I wasn't offered the position, but the recruiter was very respectful and made sure she gave me feedback in a phone call.

I would recommend applying to this company, as it looks like it is definitely going to be growing rapidly.

Interview Questions
    • Given a distributed system of servers that write out log entries sorted by date/time, how would you combine these into a single log file on a central machine, given that you don't have enough memory in your system to simply load all of the files into memory?   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kontagent in July 2013.

This was one of the smoothest hiring processes I've ever gone through. The staff was fantastic. I initially applied online after seeing an article about the company in the Business Times. After not hearing back for a week or two, I thought my application had fallen into the black hole of online applications. But almost three weeks after applying, I heard back from them and things took off at rocket speed from there.

I had a phone screen on a Friday, and heard back from the recruiting team inside of an hour saying they'd like to schedule a day of onsite interviews. The team bent over backwards to work around my schedule (I had other meetings already scheduled). Wednesday I was in for onsite interviews, and late that night received another email seeing if I could squeeze in a couple hours the following morning. I confirmed at 9am the following morning, was in the office at 10am, and was given a verbal offer before leaving at noon.

The team knew I had other offers I was considering, and worked hard to make sure I could consider theirs at the same time. I'm glad they did because I spent the next day on the phone with both companies talking to more people and learning more about the benefits packages.

Great job!

Interview Questions
    There was give and take on both sides. The final offer was in between their initial offer and what I was asking. They were very flexible in my start date to make sure my benefits started asap.

Senior CRM Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Kontagent in May 2013.

A recruiter from Kontagent contacted me on Linkedin, and I replied back with interest. She and I had a 30-minute phone interview, and she was very friendly and open about the position and culture. I quickly advanced to a 20-minute phone interview with the hiring manager, and he was also friendly and open about the process. They got me in for a series of in-person interviews (about four hours total), but a couple interviews were conducted via Skype in their office (big screen TV, high quality, nice audio). Looking around the office, I saw plenty of smiling faces, even those who didn't even notice me and weren't performing. The culture seemed laid back, collaborative, and pretty open-ended, all things I'm interested in trying out. They contacted me over the weekend, and I always felt like I had their attention and consideration. I'm probably biased because I got an offer, but I was really impressed with their process at each step.

Interview Questions
    • How would you assign different priorities to different user requests? (easy enough on the surface, but in discussion I realized there are many contributing factors to a good answer)   Answer Question

Recruiting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Kontagent.

My personal experience with the hiring process was awesome! They were extremely flexible with my availability. I originally applied for the recruiting coordinator position but since I could only work three days a week, they worked it out to where I could be recruiting intern.

The interview process itself was great. Although it was a long interview, it was beneficial to meet more than one person in one day.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Kontagent.

I was contacted after my university's career fair.
    Initial phone screen with recruiter, then two technical phone interviews with a third party company. These were pretty standard questions: OOD, inheritance & polymorphism, factory & singleton patterns, binary search, hash table basics.
    Subsequent on-site interviews lasted one full day: Introduction to the product and architecture, 3 technical 1-on-1 interviews and 1 non-technical 1-on-1 interview. My experience with all of the recruiters, interviewers and the entire team was very pleasant.
    Technical interview questions included: Design a bounded queue, sort an array in place, and a lot of architectural/design questions tied to prior projects, along with a discussion of performance and process tradeoffs among design choices.
    After the interviews, there was a 2 hour coding project: write a program that reads a configuration of chainable filters from a spec file and applies it to a large amount of text. Interview questions and even the coding project were language-agnostic, which is nice and shows that this company is asking the right type of questions (ie, cultural+conceptual rather than encyclopedia questions about language-specific feature xyz). In the end of the day, we got to sit down with and talk to Jeff, Kontagent's CEO and founder, which was great.

Interview Questions
    • "If you had $10m/unlimited resources, how would you scale your past project <xyz> to handle a huge amount of users" – this questions was unexpected more so than difficult, and led to an interesting discussion about design decisions.   Answer Question

Business Development Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kontagent in January 2013.

One phone interview with HR, then 3 face-to-face meetings. The first was a marketing event where i met a lot of the team, the second was a interview day with 6 different people, and the final was 1:1 with VP of sales

Interview Questions
    • If you are not promoted in 6 months, will you be disappointed?   Answer Question