Kroger

Getting the Interview

66 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – Hiring and Interview process is very easy. If you just go in like a normal person you will likely get hired. They are all standard run of the mill questions, Tell me about yourself, Strengths and weaknesses, etc. Honestly, the easiest interview I have ever had. I was hired right on the spot. They tell you all the available positions at the store you want and ask you your first and second choice. I found even if your favorite job is not available, they are almost always hiring all positions. I started in the Deli and within a month and a half I had transferred departments, and within six months I have two promotions and full time status under my belt. They do background checks and drug tests. They said it could take up to two weeks to get a call back. It took less than a week for me, and my boyfriend it took only 3 days. I guess it is based on how badly you are needed. Also, it is useless to inquire at the specific store you want to work. Kroger has hiring centers and associates at the stores can't help. They will only direct you to apply online.

Interview Question – No question was difficult. Just google common interview questions and answers, and it's likely that is all will be asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotioation. They have a starting rate. It is likely minimum wage. If you have experience with Kroger you can negotiate for a larger raise.

Columbia, MO

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Kroger in October 2009.

Interview Details – They didn't seem at all focused on my interview, they looked like they were in LA LA land

Interview Question – None they were pretty easy questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotations

Dacula, GA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Kroger in September 2011.

Interview Details – not professional interview. asked me questions about religion.

Interview Question – what is ur religion?   View Answers (2)

Elizabethtown, KY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty formal and easy. The Associate Manager was the one that did the interviewing and she just asked the basic retail questions. It seems that if you get an interview you'll more than likely get the job as long as you don't say anything that would jeopardize that. The manager actually spent more time talking about the company than actually asking questions. She also liked the fact that I was in college since many of the employees there were attending a college or university. They also do an oral drug test with you right away in the office after the interview.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation. If you have experience they will negotiate pay, but if not then you will start out with the minimum amount.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kroger in February 2011.

Interview Details – They will hire anyone as long as you have a good record and you pass the drug test

Interview Question – None, they just ask for your availability   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Morehead, KY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kroger in May 2009.

Interview Details – Very simple, fill out an electronic application. Go in for interview, HR manager seems only concerned about making sure you are clean and drug "free"

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Madison, MS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. I was contacted 2 weeks later for an interview. I arrived early, and had to wait. The interviewer finally came to interview me. Was immediately asked to see my indentification and SS card. She copied it, then proceeded to give me papers describing the duties of cashier and courtesy clerk. I was asked questions regarding education, past experience, scheduling availability, customer service, and why did I want to work for Kroger. She went over the pay scale, training, scheduling, dress code, lunch/breaks, and insurance. Afterwards, I was given an oral drug test and back ground check. Exactly one week later, I was contacted to come in and do paperwork. Training was then scheduled.

Conroe, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kroger in August 2011.

Interview Details – You apply online and they'll call those they're interested in to set up an interview. I t consist of all the fairly typical application question(are you reliable, are willing to work hard, etc...). They then let me know on the spot that I was hired as soon as i passed a drug test(given right then via oral swab) and they finished my background check, which took about 3-4days. After that you go through a day of computer training then are put out on the floor.

Interview Question – The hardest one was the one that you always here; what is your biggest weakness aka the why should we not hire you or the are you honest test, which mostly just annoying to answer.   Answer Question

Cumming, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Kroger in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initially received a phone call to schedule an interview several days after my online application. I arrived a bit early so I had to wait for about ten minutes upstairs, I guess they weren't expecting me to be prompt. When my interviewer arrived, it was fairly straightforward and quick from then on. We went into the office and I was asked simple questions about myself, my work experience, and why I wanted to work for Kroger. At that point, the conversation shifted to the job description, work environment, expectations of me, and the drug test I'd have to take. I then was given time to ask questions, and then taken to the HR person to take my drug test. I was called a few days later when the results were in to schedule training and orientation. Easy process, and the front end manager was very nice throughout it all.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult or unexpected questions. They were fairly simple and straightforward. The only one that wasn't about me or my history was why did I want to work for Kroger, and that was simple to wing my way through. Easiest interview I've ever had.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't really any negotiation. They weren't flexible with salary. It was take it or leave it.

Austell, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kroger in September 2011.

Interview Details – I completed the online application and within two days I received a call from the store manager. I was greeted and ask to tell about myself and past work experience. I was then told about the companies expectations and guidelines. I was hired on the spot and submitted my samples for drug and background check.

Interview Question – During the interview process I was not asked any difficult questions. They were all simple and upfront.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kroger