Kroger Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

1.9

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Kroger (Collierville, TN) in November 2011.

Interview

Got the call for an interview on tuesday and had it the following friday, this was a 1:1 and i met with the Division Manager, dude was really cool and made the interview feel easy, then the following week i had to do a panel interview which was considerably more difficult in the sense of how they had it set up but the questions were your standard tell us about your previous jobs and such and your skills and some technical questions, plus some off the wall questions such as "If you were shrunk down to the size of a pencil and you were stuck in a blender that was fixing to be turned on how would you go about getting out?" The third interview that followed the next week was a video conference interview that involved the managers in corp. That was a bugger, tech questions out the ying-yang and situation questions but i have to admit that it was fun and the whole experience has been nothing but fun, after answering all of the questions for one manager the other that was also present had me to another skills test and started to ask me all kind of questions regarding previous jobs. By the end of it all they both said that i had done really well and it would be a great privilage to work with me, (as good as that sounds im wondering if they told the other guy that as well) so now im in the fifth week and waiting to see if they have choosen between another applicant or myself but i have to say that being in the final two from 145 is something to be proud of in itself although theres no glory for second place, so i will be crossing my fingers and hope for the best and i will update this as soon as i know something.

Interview Questions

• If i was shurnk down to the size of a pencil and stuck in a blender that was fixing to be turned on how would i get out?   1 Answer

Dairy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kroger (Durham, NC) in April 2012.

Interview

Very unprofessional interviewer. Obviously used to dealing with unprofessionals.

Interview Questions

• (Out of nowhere, with no basis, or precedence except the interviewer was obviously used to dealing with kids.) You don't own a car? You ride the bus? The bus doesn't run this far on Sundays. You can't call in and say you can't come to work because of transportation. & don't forget the behavioral-assessment. The trick is to answer the questions they way you think they're supposed to be answered, so...yes, you will say that you will turn in your friend for stealing.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I could not negotiate anything because, although I've worked in retail, clerking, warehousing, and materials-handling it was not in the grocery industry. The then-current store manager had me interviewed simply because I had furniture-assembly experience and it was outdoor-furniture season as Kroger is a general merchandiser me. I started at the bottom, 7.25. I was made full-time approx. a month later and get a .25 raise every six month's. So, if I stay with Kroger, in four years I'll make 10.00. Or, theoretically, I could leave Kroger on good terms, try to get re-hired and get that 10.00 because then I'll have grocery experience.

Off Shift Production Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kroger (Columbus, OH) in January 2014.

Interview

Very professional and thorough. Blacked out 4 hours for the entire interview and tour process. I met with Sr and Jr level HR, and was interviewed by two entire management teams in two separate time slots. They were very detailed and up front about the working conditions, expectations, and future of the business.

Interview Questions

• How we you able to handle an unruly and aggressive employee in the past? How would you handle it differently in a union environment?   Answer Question

The offered package was very generous but the shift ended up being a major obstacle for the family.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Kroger (Brandenburg, KY) in November 2013.

Interview

Was call and set up appt. for interview. Got to Kroger before the interviewer. Watched her walk in the door with her breakfast. Went inside, asked for her at customer service desk, and she came out and greeted me and took me to her office for interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult situation and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Pharmacist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Kroger.

Interview

I initially applied online for the position and was contacted a few weeks later for an interview. It was mostly a behavioral type of interview. Tell me about a time.... type of questions. I received a job offer one month after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you had to work with a difficult person.   1 Answer

Co Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Kroger.

Interview

Started out with a 1 on 1 interview. Then a panel interview consisting of 4 higher ups. Each asked 1 question and wrote down your answer. I felt that I was liked, so the interview process went smoothly for me. I've heard of others where they ask insane questions that are impossible to answer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Wasn't any - they paid more than I was making at the time, so I accepted.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Kroger (Detroit, MI).

Interview

job fair at college, recruiter contacted me a week later to set up an interview. Arrived at the interview and found out it was a panel of various management personnel. very intimidating.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Process Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Kroger (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

The phone screening with the hiring manager was very fair. Just be prepared to answer the standard interview Qs (e.g., "Tell me about a problem you encountered at work and how you solved it") and Qs specifically geared towards your resume.

My second interview (N.B. The hiring manager told me that the hiring process for this position involves only these 2 interviews. Meaning, if I would've made it past the second interview, I would've received an offer from HR.) included 2 Kroger people: the hiring manager and his supervisor. It was described in the letter I received from HR as a "90 minute panel-style interview...featur[ing] Behavior-Based Interviewing." Read that very carefully. "Featuring" means that the interview focuses on behavior-based Qs but includes other stuff as well. Here's the breakdown: 60 minutes of behavior Qs. These are very fair. Just review the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and prepare specific responses for all 8 listed values.

The next 10 minutes cover job-specific Qs: "Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 on the following." This doesn't require any prep: either you've done this stuff or you haven't. Realize that this is a Lean, Six Sigma driven position. If you don't have relevant experience or training (I didn't) then there's not much you can do or say. Also, be honest on your Excel self-assessment. The hiring manager noted that people who really know Excel tend to rate themselves lower because they realize how powerful and wide-ranging a tool it is. (I rated myself a 7-8 and then proceeded to bomb the test.)

The final 20 minutes (for me, it was closer to 16) are split between an Excel assessment and a process/efficiency fact pattern to analyze.

Re the fact pattern, you're asked how to improve the efficiency of a certain aspect of a given store department. After your time is up, you’ll need to explain your recommendations and thought process to the panel and answer their Qs.

Re the Excel assessment: Be ready. You’ll have roughly 7 Qs to answer (including creating a graph). The spreadsheet is about 2000 lines long and the functions required are advanced: think VLOOKUPS, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, and the like.

Interview Questions

• Cover the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and there won't be any surprises. All of the Qs were scripted.   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Kroger.

Interview

I was called in for an interview. After that a mouth swab test. Then I had to go to an three or four hour orientation. The next step was to do computer work.

Central Fill Pharmacy Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Kroger in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by the company a few days later. I was asked very simple questions and an interview was scheduled for the following Tuesday. I was interviewed twice in one day by pairs of different people including the hiring managers, supervisor and a pharmacist. It was not a long interview, actually kind of short but I think it was due to my limited work experience. They were very nice and pleasant with me. I didn't do very well and some questions were beyond my experience. It was a bit difficult for me but if you have lots of work experience and familiar with pharmacy, it probably will be easier for you. Got an email two days later saying they would consider other applicants.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you gave new ideas and what was the response.
      Why do you think this job is a good fit for you?

Answer Question