Kroger

Getting the Interview

326 candidate interviews

Operations Analyst Interview

Collierville, TN

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in November 2011.

Interview Details – Got the call for an interview on tuesday and had it the following friday, this was a 1:1 and i met with the Division Manager, dude was really cool and made the interview feel easy, then the following week i had to do a panel interview which was considerably more difficult in the sense of how they had it set up but the questions were your standard tell us about your previous jobs and such and your skills and some technical questions, plus some off the wall questions such as "If you were shrunk down to the size of a pencil and you were stuck in a blender that was fixing to be turned on how would you go about getting out?" The third interview that followed the next week was a video conference interview that involved the managers in corp. That was a bugger, tech questions out the ying-yang and situation questions but i have to admit that it was fun and the whole experience has been nothing but fun, after answering all of the questions for one manager the other that was also present had me to another skills test and started to ask me all kind of questions regarding previous jobs. By the end of it all they both said that i had done really well and it would be a great privilage to work with me, (as good as that sounds im wondering if they told the other guy that as well) so now im in the fifth week and waiting to see if they have choosen between another applicant or myself but i have to say that being in the final two from 145 is something to be proud of in itself although theres no glory for second place, so i will be crossing my fingers and hope for the best and i will update this as soon as i know something.

Interview Question – If i was shurnk down to the size of a pencil and stuck in a blender that was fixing to be turned on how would i get out?   View Answer

Dairy Clerk Interview

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in April 2012.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional interviewer. Obviously used to dealing with unprofessionals.

Interview Question – (Out of nowhere, with no basis, or precedence except the interviewer was obviously used to dealing with kids.) You don't own a car? You ride the bus? The bus doesn't run this far on Sundays. You can't call in and say you can't come to work because of transportation. & don't forget the behavioral-assessment. The trick is to answer the questions they way you think they're supposed to be answered, so...yes, you will say that you will turn in your friend for stealing.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I could not negotiate anything because, although I've worked in retail, clerking, warehousing, and materials-handling it was not in the grocery industry. The then-current store manager had me interviewed simply because I had furniture-assembly experience and it was outdoor-furniture season as Kroger is a general merchandiser me. I started at the bottom, 7.25. I was made full-time approx. a month later and get a .25 raise every six month's. So, if I stay with Kroger, in four years I'll make 10.00. Or, theoretically, I could leave Kroger on good terms, try to get re-hired and get that 10.00 because then I'll have grocery experience.

Off Shift Production Supervisor Interview

Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kroger in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very professional and thorough. Blacked out 4 hours for the entire interview and tour process. I met with Sr and Jr level HR, and was interviewed by two entire management teams in two separate time slots. They were very detailed and up front about the working conditions, expectations, and future of the business.

Interview Question – How we you able to handle an unruly and aggressive employee in the past? How would you handle it differently in a union environment?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offered package was very generous but the shift ended up being a major obstacle for the family.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very long second interview with four Kroger manager-types. All were very polite. Interview took two hours including power point presentation. Standard behavior based questions. They wanted very detailed answers to their questions. I would recommend that any interviewee brush up on the STAR approach to these type of interviews. First interview was quite easy and subsequent online questions took just two hours to answer fully.

Interview Question – Every question is difficult when your future is on the line.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Nashville, TN

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kroger in April 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process went very well. You have to make sure to know your work history and the outcomes of your examples. Be very professionally dressed as well.

Interview Question – Do not remember.   Answer Question

Co-Manager Interview

Co-Manager
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – I was called in for my first interview; last about 40 minutes. I waited about another three weeks before I was offered a second interview. That interview lasted about 30 minutes--it was more of a conversation than an actual interview, which made me more relaxed. After about another three weeks, I received an offer letter in the mail.

Interview Question – How would your department run if you were to leave today?   Answer Question

Media Coordinator Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – Applied for a Media Coordinator position on the Kroger website. Received a call the next week, asking to come into interview.

Interviewed with the department supervisor and another media buyer. Very cutthroat, both had poker-faces. Was "grilled" pretty intensively, every angle of my previous work experience was gone over. It was one of those situations where you can tell they we're looking for a flaw or something to target. Was quizzed on the spot with some basic advanced-algebra questions, as well as equations/how-to's in ms office programs. The supervisor then discussed the difficulties of the job, and explained how the day-to-day work was like. Made the job sound incredibly horrible.

Interview was just under a hour, and was incredibly stressful. I walked away feeling as if it was the worst interview I've ever had.

The next week I got a call asking to come in for a second interview (did not expect that at all).

Met with the same supervisor, a different buyer, and the head advertising supervisor. Same style questions as before, same overall intensity. Multiple math-related questions (no calculator, all by hand).

Walked away feeling good, was told they would be in touch. Never heard anything back, not even a courtesy call to say they have moved on (yes, this was months ago).

Interview Question – Questions were all general, basic "what would you do" and "name a time when...". Only thing that caught me off guard was the math problems, which I was not expecting. Percentage questions relating the cost/sales such as what percentage would so-so be. Not hard, just unexpected.   Answer Question

Area Supervisor Interview

Cincinnati, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Kroger in January 2012.

Interview Details – Initial contact was short phone interview. Interview process was a 5 hour process with a tour and interviews with HR then committee of union and salary workers, followed by lunch with two potential who were sophomoric and giggled throughout the lunch, then hiring manager and HR again. Horrible facility. Not enough space, dark in places and not a favorable layout for success. The proposed hours were unappealing - basically on call at all times.

Interview Question – No one question comes to mind, but the questions from the union associates were very detailed. They want to know exactly what steps you would take in given situations including safety concerns, discipline problems, quality and production issues. They have a say in the hiring so they are trying to get a good feel for who you are.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was not interested in 12 hour shifts and being on call at all times. Seemed to be a heavy work load for what comparable positions expect. Dark, dinghy work area.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger in October 2012.

Interview Details – I initially applied online for the assistant manager/manager in training position from careerbuilder.com. They then contacted me via phone from the secretary of the mid-south headquarters. I talked with her to schedule an interview. The interview was with the district coordinator. He explained the position and salary plus a detailed view of advancement opportunities and training schedule. He has a list of questions he went down one by one dealing with past situations and how much I was still interested in the position. They contacted me within a week for the follow-up interview. It is a panel interview with a regional coordinator asking the questions and running it. He is joined by the grocery district coordinator and two store managers who join in with bonus questions and comments. These questions are much more difficult about very specific examples with your past company. From tough questions about decisions and how you made an unpopular decision plus easier questions. It was very fair and well done great evaluation for the position I believe.

Interview Question – Explain a past unpopular decision you had to make and how you dealt with the effects of that decision.   View Answer

Process Analyst Interview

Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Kroger in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and about two weeks later got a call back from receptionist to setup phone interview. Phone interview consisted of mostly talking through resume with a lead associate in the hiring department. After phone interview received another phone call to set up in person interview. This interview was a panel interview of going through credentials and then about 90 minutes of behaviorial based questioning. Panel consisted of Controller, Asst. Controller and two lead analysts. This interview ended with a Excel skills test. After this interview another week went by and was once again contacted by receptionist to set up 2nd panel interview. The content of this interview was similiar as the previous, but was a bit more serious. The panel consisted of division VP, two Directors and a manager. The questions in this interview were a bit more intrusive, they really wanted specific details of accomplishment. About 8 or so days later I was called and offered the job by an HR rep from the HQ. Was asked to complete a drug test and background screen. This process took almost a month. Overall the process was very thorough but worth it. I am starting Monday and cannot wait!

Interview Question – What process would you improve at Kroger?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, happy to get a job with a retail giant.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kroger

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kroger interview questions and advice. All 326 interview reviews posted anonymously by Kroger employees and interview candidates.