Kroger Interview Questions & Reviews

1.9

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Collierville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Collierville, TN

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in November 2011.

Got the call for an interview on tuesday and had it the following friday, this was a 1:1 and i met with the Division Manager, dude was really cool and made the interview feel easy, then the following week i had to do a panel interview which was considerably more difficult in the sense of how they had it set up but the questions were your standard tell us about your previous jobs and such and your skills and some technical questions, plus some off the wall questions such as "If you were shrunk down to the size of a pencil and you were stuck in a blender that was fixing to be turned on how would you go about getting out?" The third interview that followed the next week was a video conference interview that involved the managers in corp. That was a bugger, tech questions out the ying-yang and situation questions but i have to admit that it was fun and the whole experience has been nothing but fun, after answering all of the questions for one manager the other that was also present had me to another skills test and started to ask me all kind of questions regarding previous jobs. By the end of it all they both said that i had done really well and it would be a great privilage to work with me, (as good as that sounds im wondering if they told the other guy that as well) so now im in the fifth week and waiting to see if they have choosen between another applicant or myself but i have to say that being in the final two from 145 is something to be proud of in itself although theres no glory for second place, so i will be crossing my fingers and hope for the best and i will update this as soon as i know something.

Interview Questions
    • If i was shurnk down to the size of a pencil and stuck in a blender that was fixing to be turned on how would i get out?   View Answer

Dairy Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in April 2012.

Very unprofessional interviewer. Obviously used to dealing with unprofessionals.

Interview Questions
    • (Out of nowhere, with no basis, or precedence except the interviewer was obviously used to dealing with kids.) You don't own a car? You ride the bus? The bus doesn't run this far on Sundays. You can't call in and say you can't come to work because of transportation. & don't forget the behavioral-assessment. The trick is to answer the questions they way you think they're supposed to be answered, so...yes, you will say that you will turn in your friend for stealing.   View Answer
    I could not negotiate anything because, although I've worked in retail, clerking, warehousing, and materials-handling it was not in the grocery industry. The then-current store manager had me interviewed simply because I had furniture-assembly experience and it was outdoor-furniture season as Kroger is a general merchandiser me. I started at the bottom, 7.25. I was made full-time approx. a month later and get a .25 raise every six month's. So, if I stay with Kroger, in four years I'll make 10.00. Or, theoretically, I could leave Kroger on good terms, try to get re-hired and get that 10.00 because then I'll have grocery experience.

Off Shift Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Kroger in January 2014.

Very professional and thorough. Blacked out 4 hours for the entire interview and tour process. I met with Sr and Jr level HR, and was interviewed by two entire management teams in two separate time slots. They were very detailed and up front about the working conditions, expectations, and future of the business.

Interview Questions
    • How we you able to handle an unruly and aggressive employee in the past? How would you handle it differently in a union environment?   Answer Question

The offered package was very generous but the shift ended up being a major obstacle for the family.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Brandenburg, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Brandenburg, KY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in November 2013.

Was call and set up appt. for interview. Got to Kroger before the interviewer. Watched her walk in the door with her breakfast. Went inside, asked for her at customer service desk, and she came out and greeted me and took me to her office for interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult situation and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Kroger.

job fair at college, recruiter contacted me a week later to set up an interview. Arrived at the interview and found out it was a panel of various management personnel. very intimidating.

no negotiation

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger in May 2014.

The phone screening with the hiring manager was very fair. Just be prepared to answer the standard interview Qs (e.g., "Tell me about a problem you encountered at work and how you solved it") and Qs specifically geared towards your resume.

My second interview (N.B. The hiring manager told me that the hiring process for this position involves only these 2 interviews. Meaning, if I would've made it past the second interview, I would've received an offer from HR.) included 2 Kroger people: the hiring manager and his supervisor. It was described in the letter I received from HR as a "90 minute panel-style interview...featur[ing] Behavior-Based Interviewing." Read that very carefully. "Featuring" means that the interview focuses on behavior-based Qs but includes other stuff as well. Here's the breakdown: 60 minutes of behavior Qs. These are very fair. Just review the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and prepare specific responses for all 8 listed values.

The next 10 minutes cover job-specific Qs: "Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 on the following." This doesn't require any prep: either you've done this stuff or you haven't. Realize that this is a Lean, Six Sigma driven position. If you don't have relevant experience or training (I didn't) then there's not much you can do or say. Also, be honest on your Excel self-assessment. The hiring manager noted that people who really know Excel tend to rate themselves lower because they realize how powerful and wide-ranging a tool it is. (I rated myself a 7-8 and then proceeded to bomb the test.)

The final 20 minutes (for me, it was closer to 16) are split between an Excel assessment and a process/efficiency fact pattern to analyze.

Re the fact pattern, you're asked how to improve the efficiency of a certain aspect of a given store department. After your time is up, you’ll need to explain your recommendations and thought process to the panel and answer their Qs.

Re the Excel assessment: Be ready. You’ll have roughly 7 Qs to answer (including creating a graph). The spreadsheet is about 2000 lines long and the functions required are advanced: think VLOOKUPS, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, and the like.

Interview Questions
    • Cover the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and there won't be any surprises. All of the Qs were scripted.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in May 2013.

Very long second interview with four Kroger manager-types. All were very polite. Interview took two hours including power point presentation. Standard behavior based questions. They wanted very detailed answers to their questions. I would recommend that any interviewee brush up on the STAR approach to these type of interviews. First interview was quite easy and subsequent online questions took just two hours to answer fully.

Interview Questions
    • Every question is difficult when your future is on the line.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Kroger in April 2010.

The interview process went very well. You have to make sure to know your work history and the outcomes of your examples. Be very professionally dressed as well.

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger.

I was called in for my first interview; last about 40 minutes. I waited about another three weeks before I was offered a second interview. That interview lasted about 30 minutes--it was more of a conversation than an actual interview, which made me more relaxed. After about another three weeks, I received an offer letter in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • How would your department run if you were to leave today?   Answer Question

Media Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Kroger.

Applied for a Media Coordinator position on the Kroger website. Received a call the next week, asking to come into interview.

Interviewed with the department supervisor and another media buyer. Very cutthroat, both had poker-faces. Was "grilled" pretty intensively, every angle of my previous work experience was gone over. It was one of those situations where you can tell they we're looking for a flaw or something to target. Was quizzed on the spot with some basic advanced-algebra questions, as well as equations/how-to's in ms office programs. The supervisor then discussed the difficulties of the job, and explained how the day-to-day work was like. Made the job sound incredibly horrible.

Interview was just under a hour, and was incredibly stressful. I walked away feeling as if it was the worst interview I've ever had.

The next week I got a call asking to come in for a second interview (did not expect that at all).

Met with the same supervisor, a different buyer, and the head advertising supervisor. Same style questions as before, same overall intensity. Multiple math-related questions (no calculator, all by hand).

Walked away feeling good, was told they would be in touch. Never heard anything back, not even a courtesy call to say they have moved on (yes, this was months ago).

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all general, basic "what would you do" and "name a time when...". Only thing that caught me off guard was the math problems, which I was not expecting. Percentage questions relating the cost/sales such as what percentage would so-so be. Not hard, just unexpected.   Answer Question

Worked for Kroger? Contribute to the Community!