Kroger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Co-Manager Interview

Co-Manager
Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger in January 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews, mostly behavioral and then 2 online assessment tests, overall nothing too difficult and seemed like a normal hiring process. Started with a phone interview, then one in person, and finally one with the District Manager for the region I would later be placed. The 2 online tests seemed to both be personality tests, just to help them rank you.

Interview Question – Just be ready to talk about yourself (Strengths/Weaknesses), conflict resolution, and leadership activities   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – An offer was given with no negotiation for me

Drug GM Clerk Interview

Drug GM Clerk
Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kroger in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call to set up an interview the next day. Went in for a very simple interview (less than 20 minutes) and received a conditional offer of employment pending a drug test and background check. Received a call later that week to let me know that everything had come back fine and to set up times for orientation and training.

Interview Question – Very simple, straightforward questions (Why do you want to work here, what relevant skills do you have, etc.). A few simple situational questions (Describe a situation in which you provided excellent customer service, etc.).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation opportunity

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – I was originally interviewed to be a courtesy clerk and they just asked the basic questions of a typical interview and then told me what I was going to be paid per hour starting out. They also assigned me to the store I would work. They also did a mouth swab drug test.

Negotiation Details – Its a two-tier union pay scale where part-time is paid less than full-time.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger.

Interview Details – I had an interview with the HR at one particular store. The HR was very sweet and on the older side. Honestly the easiest interview I have ever done. Manners are huge. She was presently surprised when I shook her hand. It seemed like she already knew that she was going to hire me half-way through because the interview transitioned from interview questions to talking about what the job entailed.

Interview Question – What would make you a good Kroger employee?   Answer Question

Utility Clerk/Front-end/Bagger Interview

Utility Clerk/Front-end/Bagger
Wylie, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Kroger in May 2013.

Interview Details – group interview, easy to get hired, easy questions asked, presentation of questions to other hires, small presentation with other hires in 3 people in group, common sense questions asked too

Negotiation Details – none

Part-Time Cashier Interview

Part-Time Cashier
Troy, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Kroger in April 2014.

Interview Details – Their on-the-job training is horrible. They don't call you back when they say they will--to tell you that you have the job. I had two days that were four hours each--that is not enough time to learn everything. One of the cashiers they put me with was very rude--I figured she didn't want to be bothered with a new hire.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Suwanee, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger in August 2013.

Interview Details – 20 min interview, drug test by saliva, told me I would paid minimum wage, hired on the spot, negotiable hours, asked where I went to school, how long I plan on staying, and an increase in wage 50 cents every six months

Interview Question – What does kroger provide?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Quick and easy

Courtesy Clerk Interview

Courtesy Clerk
Baytown, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Kroger in February 2013.

Interview Details – They will give you a call and set you up with an interview at a kroger store location. It will be a group interview ranging up to 10 people give or take. They will ask you questions about Kroger and questions about your life. They will also ask you what can you offer if you were to to be hired. Always best to answer questions first.

Interview Question – When they ask everyone to state their past experiences and jobs and why they left that job.   Answer Question

Process Analyst Interview

Process Analyst
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Kroger in May 2014.

Interview Details – The phone screening with the hiring manager was very fair. Just be prepared to answer the standard interview Qs (e.g., "Tell me about a problem you encountered at work and how you solved it") and Qs specifically geared towards your resume.

My second interview (N.B. The hiring manager told me that the hiring process for this position involves only these 2 interviews. Meaning, if I would've made it past the second interview, I would've received an offer from HR.) included 2 Kroger people: the hiring manager and his supervisor. It was described in the letter I received from HR as a "90 minute panel-style interview...featur[ing] Behavior-Based Interviewing." Read that very carefully. "Featuring" means that the interview focuses on behavior-based Qs but includes other stuff as well. Here's the breakdown: 60 minutes of behavior Qs. These are very fair. Just review the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and prepare specific responses for all 8 listed values.

The next 10 minutes cover job-specific Qs: "Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 on the following." This doesn't require any prep: either you've done this stuff or you haven't. Realize that this is a Lean, Six Sigma driven position. If you don't have relevant experience or training (I didn't) then there's not much you can do or say. Also, be honest on your Excel self-assessment. The hiring manager noted that people who really know Excel tend to rate themselves lower because they realize how powerful and wide-ranging a tool it is. (I rated myself a 7-8 and then proceeded to bomb the test.)

The final 20 minutes (for me, it was closer to 16) are split between an Excel assessment and a process/efficiency fact pattern to analyze.

Re the fact pattern, you're asked how to improve the efficiency of a certain aspect of a given store department. After your time is up, you’ll need to explain your recommendations and thought process to the panel and answer their Qs.

Re the Excel assessment: Be ready. You’ll have roughly 7 Qs to answer (including creating a graph). The spreadsheet is about 2000 lines long and the functions required are advanced: think VLOOKUPS, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, and the like.

Interview Question – Cover the Kroger Leadership Model diagram/pdf and there won't be any surprises. All of the Qs were scripted.   Answer Question

Utility Clerk Interview

Utility Clerk
Kingwood, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Kroger in March 2014.

Interview Details – At this store all you have to do is show up. You will be given a group interview and will get an email within a day that you have been hired.

Interview Question – They made us as a group try and sell one thing in the store as an example.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since this is a union job, the negotiations have already been done.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Kroger